• 1-2-3 Houston we have a problem

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

LoboUivante

my tummy hurts
Oct 20, 2001
Amidst enlightenment and gloominess
tvtel.pt
For example we have Sounds of Decay that could well be one of their best albums (if it was a complete album), 3 musics amazing. They could add 2 more short lenght songs and an intrumental, nobody would notice and so it could be an album.

Then Teargas Ep... i was thinking LFDGD would be really a kicking ass show, better than Tonight's Decision... it could had if only We Must Bury You and Dont Tell a Soul were spared from public animosity (the first its just utter crap, the second tries but is not fulfilled... why not take March 14 and Sulfur and add it to the album... also... rare track i have: No Devotion and argh... i cant remember the other's name are extremely melhancolic songs, worthy of being exposed as all normal tracks should.

Since i still didnt acquaried Tonight's Decision Ep cause im stil a bit dizzy from all this Ep releases going on... i only agree 100% with their first Ep ....Revival and Scarlet Heavens fro they started as a new direction so that we wouldn't be suprised with their developed sound.

EPs, I have no problem with. There are often songs that don't fit with the feel of an album, so getting them out that way is good.

Limited Edition EPs fuck me off no end!! That's actually a reason for me to stop following a band. I fucking hate it. It drives me nuts to know there are songs out there that I haven't heard. Even if they aren't particularly good, I still want to hear them. I was lucky enough to get Sounds of Decay (which is awesome, it saddens me that some can not hear it), but have no idea how I'll get hold of the others. In the past, I haven't heard of their release until several months after the fact, so it's probably a bit late. And even when I know it's coming, I have no idea how to get it (no credit card = no online ordering, and if my record shop doesn't list it, I can't get it). I've heard bands say stuff like 'oh, our hard-core fans will get it', but what if we fucking can't? It's just bullshit. Katatonia are fortunate they mean so much to me, I've overlooked it so far, but this may not always be the case. It's great when you do finally get to hear one, for instance Anathema put the 'We are the bible' thing on their website for download, and that was great to hear a new old track with Darren on it ('eternal rise of the sun' is stunning), but that was probably the only way I was gonna get to hear it.

(and I'll also include bonus tracks in all this- in particular those albums that have extra stuff for Japanese release, but also when a band puts out the 'special edition' a couple months after releasing a new cd)
:mad: :mad: :mad:

[/rant]

You can get all of the rare songs from Audiogalaxy nowadays. IMO FFTC doesn't fit any other Katatonia album but I would've loved to hear a full album of that stuff. SoD's material on the other hand could've gone to Brave Murder Day, not counting Nowhere. I'm thinking of burning a CD with Sounds of Decay, For Funerals to Come and Agalloch's Of Stone, Wind and Pillor in it since I rarely listen to the EPs cos they are so short.

It depends....
*I like EPs which contain tracks that can't be find on albums....
*The EPs which are actually SINGLES i mostly dislike...they piss me off...
*and i also get annoyed with limited EPs when they are only distributed by mailorder or online shops...I have no credit card,but even if i hadi,i really doubt i would use it online....
*when i can find them in my local shop or get them from NB then it's all fine...

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
(and I'll also include bonus tracks in all this- in particular those albums that have extra stuff for Japanese release, but also when a band puts out the 'special edition' a couple months after releasing a new cd)
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I completely agree!!!!
and the special re-release shit is the reason why i hate Peaceville... :mad:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the same way about Sounds of Decay. Sounds of Decay is the best MCD I've heard from any band. I really love the moody atmosphere and the production. The only problem is that the songs seem to sound a little too repetitive at times, but it's still good. Has anyone notice the Black Sabbath-like riffs towards the end of Inside the Fall?

Originally posted by MacMoney
You can get all of the rare songs from Audiogalaxy nowadays.

I take it Audiogalaxy is one of those Napster-type things?

Those things fuck me off even more than limited edition EPs. I'll take not hearing a track over ripping off an artist any day :mad:

[/rant #2] :lol:

Totally agree with Phyre's statement in the two posts above me. I've gotten into tens, if not hundreds, of bands through Napster and Audiogalaxy and bought their albums afterwards.

Everybody knows that metal bands earn more money not from Record Companies deals but from Live Concerts... so in my view i think those mp3 programs help people to know the bands better and eventually go to their concert therefore the band wins another "costumer".

Sorry, but I aint the least bit interested in getting into another Napster-type debate :rolleyes:

Having said that, you had your crack so I'll have mine: ;)
I discovered Katatonia through CD-R trades with a guy. I have absolutely no problem with the concept. The problem is that it's too large scale on the net- trades with someone you meet in person are ok (so long as you put some restraints on it, not just burn each other collection), but one person can buy an album, then 10 million can download it (yes, an exageration) from their pc when dealing through the net. Dig difference, in my opinion.
The point about metal bands making money through gigs and stuff is a fair enough one, but there are plenty of non-metal bands affected by downloads, which DO make their money from sales (this is not to mention record labels, which it can be argued it has a more important effect on, but I won't argue, cause I can't be bothered). I will not support something that has any potential for harming musicains in this way. My personal preferance.

I could go on, but I won't. That's all I'm interested in saying.

in an interview that i found, Mikael of Opeth said about mp3-napster thing:
Everybody’s having the same argument like “I’m a student, I’m poor, I can’t afford to go out and buy an album.” I’m fucking poor all the time! But I value music more than anything in my life, that’s why I spend the little money that I have I spend on records. There’s been times in my life where I haven’t had any food, literally. [...] It’s been terrible and still I have money sometimes but I go out spend it all on vinyls or records because I’m so devoted to music. And being a poor student, as a student you still get some kind of money from like the government to pay your student bills and stuff like that, so it’s not an argument. If you can’t afford it, how the hell can you have a fucking computer and sit and download the fucking MP3 all the time? It’s not right.

i agree with him.