so my band is playing an ELECTRONIC MUSIC FESTIVAL...

antiheroinc

Feb 23, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
...next weekend. i just perused the lineup and we are definetly gonna be "that" band on the day. apparently we have a decent position line up wise too (i tend to ignore details when i didn't set this up).
so basically my question to the sneap forum is this....
what should a metalcore band do amongst a bunch of electro/house artists?
at the moment, i am considering working on a heavy dubstep intro?
ideas?

EDIT: here's a link to the site, we havent been mentioned yet ha www.electronicvibes.com.au

why would you accept the gig if you feel awkward about not fitting the bill?
even worse why would you want to change your bands sound to try and fit in?

just get up and play the same way you do at other gigs, if the crowd hate you, they hate you, at least you are getting paid to perform

Make an electronic intro and then add shotgun samples and everytime a shotgun shoots kill one or two electronic instruments. Then play a non electronic show.

Just get up there and play it like you mean it maybe?

Electro/House heads aren't children that need to be pandered to, they'll be able to dig your band if your show is good and the music is fun.
You'll find a lot of people in attendance will either be former metal-heads or will actually be quite fond of metal/rock anyway.

If you really wanted to make some changes to your material, maybe consider re-working some parts of songs to have a more "bouncy" feel,
Maybe play up some 4-on-the-floor beats and try to get the crowd moving.

Get people tapping their feet and you've won.

EDIT: actually, post up a link to your music, i'd like to hear it.

Also, don't just tack on a cheap dubstep intro to your set, it'll come across as in-sincere and then you'll completely lose the crowd.
As I said, they're not idiots who'll be placated by a few token bass-wobbles.

Just have fun, engage with the crowd and be sincere, try to keep the usual metalhead posturing to a minimum.

Have fun.
I'd say a lot of the people in crowd will be tripping balls, so if you guys play really well and have fun and go off it should work out well.

Cool gig to get on brah.
Some big acts to play with.

ill be honest here, i wasn't talking too serious here. We'll play the gig irregardless of what it is and who we play with, we'll have fun and hopefully so will some others.
me and one of the guitarists were taking the piss today and thought about what would some of their audience expect from a "metal" band considering a lot might shun at the thought of "heavier" music.

ill be honest here, i wasn't talking too serious here. We'll play the gig irregardless of what it is and who we play with, we'll have fun and hopefully so will some others.
me and one of the guitarists were taking the piss today and thought about what would some of their audience expect from a "metal" band considering a lot might shun at the thought of "heavier" music.

You'd be amazed just how "heavy" these lads like their techno ;)

As I've said, for a lot of these people metal isn't going to be very alien to them, in broad terms, electronic music fans tend to be a bit more open-minded about the music they dig than many of their metal counterparts.