So Tell Us...

if you have a signicant other, a bf, gf, wife, husband, live-in welfare collector, whatever...what musical interests do you have in common?

I don't think mutual music is necessary for a good relationship but it sure doesn't hurt. lately the wife and I have been on a music DVD kick and checked out Govt Mule, Angra, Star One, G3, Vai, Tom Petty, and Maiden is going to be on tap this weekend.

although if left to her own devices, she would probably stick to hair metal and such, but we've enjoyed a bunch of different stuff lately.

plus she enjoys watching Vai, especially when he takes his shirt off.:tickled:

my current g/f she likes the easier side of Metal and rocks out to Marilyn Manson and the like more often ... she does liek the darker side of music (was a goth chick some time ago ... thank God she is not now)
she did come with me to see Slough Feg :kickass:

most everything, except the slow it-takes-ten-minutes-to-play-two-chords sludge stuff, which i don't care for *yawn*

but besides that we pretty much like the same stuff.

uhm.. my girlfriend likes new Katatonia maybe, and like... well, she likes Hammerheart, but who doesn't?

that's about it. as for what she listens to, I like a couple of mainstream bands that actually had talent: Our Lady Peace being a shining example, just grabbed their new album yesterday, but don't expect too much from them anymore. Bob Rock's production does not a good album make.

i need a chick that's into rock n' roll. she doesn't have to be into the same bands or be into metal, but she needs to dig on some shit from the 60's, 70's, or early 90's. just someone with a rock mentality really. like if she has 28 christina aguilera posters hanging up at her pad but wears a frank zappa shirt from time to time, i'm down with that.

i've only dated 2 chicks that were into metal, the second of which didn't like it before dating me but grew into liking some stuff like hypocrisy. the first one, some 11 years ago, once asked me "MAKE ME A SLAYER MIX TAPE!!!" and i'm pretty sure that's the first time i ever said "i love you." :Spin:
Demilich said:
Our Lady Peace being a shining example, just grabbed their new album yesterday, but don't expect too much from them anymore. Bob Rock's production does not a good album make.
bob cock produced an olp album?! fuck that!!! i haven't paid attention to those dudes in a long time but still, fuck that!

my wife likes some of the goth stuff like Within Temptation, After Forever, and Third and the Mortal

she also likes some of the prog rock and instrumental stuff I put on, like Anekdoten.

But anything with harsh or 80s-style vocals puts her off immediately. And anything too disjointed, like Spastic Ink, is too out there for her.

Anyway, I can only stand a small part or her music, so I don't expect much more in return :)

MajestikMøøse said:
<mandatory>lol 'gugs likes to lick the brown spot</mandatory>

Well done, I was hoping this place was stuck in a time warp.
loco.gif

If left to her own devices, my wife would spend most of her music time dialed in to whatever crap they're playing on NPR. She tends to like Classic Rock, Jazz, Blues, etc. That being said, she genuinely likes a lot of Prog and Power Metal; Sympony X, Ark, Kamelot, etc. She's very into going to Atlanta every year for ProgPower. When it comes to heavier shows, In Flames and Soilwork is about as heavy as as she enjoys it.

Zod

One Inch Man said:
bob cock produced an olp album?! fuck that!!! i haven't paid attention to those dudes in a long time but still, fuck that!

sure did! their fifth album, "Gravity". it was pretty much a waste of time. the new one sounds like it's going back to the good old days a little bit, but not good enough to compare to the classics like "Naveed", "Clumsy", "Spiritual Machines" and possibly "Happiness... Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch"

or something. I only listened to 2 songs. more to come. good band. "Spiritual Machines" is fucking amazing!

edit:

my girlfriend also has gone to see such shows as Opeth, Primordial and Goat Horn with me. At the Goat Horn show (in Dublin this past may) she had an anxiety attack that stemmed from: 1) room packed with drunk guys with long hair all dressed in black 2) loud, scary music with screaming and such 3) A.A. being covered in blood 4) some guy trying to grab her - and she pushed him down a flight of stairs

so i don't think she's coming to many more shows with me for now.

Julie listens to metal pretty much exclusively, but draws the line at extreme death / black. Opeth and Soilwork and bands like that are fine though. Her fave bands are prog metal like Dream Theater, Symphony X, PoS, Evergrey and stuff like that.

I'm weaning her on Autopsy and we'll go from there... It's not a lost cause quite yet. She's stopped complaining when I play Portal or Blasphemy in the car :)

radio shits like rap, System of a Down, and shit like that

no common ground when it comes to music