My Sporadic Update Thread

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
So what's been going on these past two weeks? I haven't posted much at all, with only the occasional pop in to read a few threads. To be honest, I won't be posting regularly anymore. I'm sure many of you will shed a tear. :)

How's life treating everyone? The wife and I are still looking for a new house, but that's been put on hold a bit until we know if she gets a new teacher position at a more affluent high school. If she gets it, hopefully we'll be moving near Lake Conroe. Constant fishing would be sweet. We traded in her car for an older, used car to save on gas (she drives my truck since she drives less) and monthly payments to build up some savings for the possible move.

Also took part in my sister's wedding about a week ago. I don't like being in weddings too much, especially when I'm the obligatory groomsman (you know, the brother of the bride and all). It was fun, though. They had an 80's cover band, Molly and the Ringwalds. And Mike, the groom, danced to Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" to a fucking T. It was hilarious and impressive all at once. A good time, open bar for 4 hours. My pops dropped a mint on that wedding.

Here's my little sister and her Matron of Honor
032.jpg

Here's my ugly mug and my cousin's husband (he was a groomsman at my wedding and an usher at this wedding)
007.jpg

Music wise, I haven't bought much at all lately. It's weird how you can get more excited about just receiving CDs than actually listening to them. I've been visiting some oldies lately and it's fun. I've also racked up quite a tradelist, since I'm trimming the fat and using that money to get the few CDs I actually want. So if anyone is interested, the list is posted in the trade forum, as well as wants.

I haven't been keeping up with latest releases. I do know Celestia released another one and I'm anxious to hear this J2 project, as well as Arghoslent. I really want those Warning re-issues, as the samples I've heard are amazing.

Also, cheers to a lot of you for recommending some bands in the death/doom thread: Necare, Terhen, Saturnus, Thurisaz, Slumber, etc. I play these quite a bit when I have the time. Also, whoever recommended Paradise Lost, thank you. I've been playing the hell out of those first five albums. Is the stuff post-Draconian Times worth hearing?

Reverend Bizarre still takes the cake. It's nice to know one can still be fully blown away and get that must-have-everything-they've-released excitement. What other doom bands would you recommend if one loves RB?

Cathedral is a band I've re-discovered. I used to like them, then got deep into black metal, and now found them again. If anyone has some Cathedral they are willing to part with, talk to me.

As far as books, it's still HG Wells. After loving The Time Machine and The Invisible Man, War of the Worlds has been a let down. It's too slow. Luckily I haven't seen the movie. Next I want to get I Am Legend, and possibly the latest two Dune books. And I still haven't finished the Harry Potter canon.

I haven't seen many movies lately at all, instead watching the few TV shows I like. "Lost" is still cool as hell, but they really need to start answering some questions instead of creating new ones every episode.

We've also been busy with this little thing:
068.jpg

I'll see you guys and girls around.

DSCN0279.JPG

PS - The UM reviewer, Wayward_Son, was me in case no one noticed.

I gotta say that this is the most personable J. post of all-time. :tickled:

There really isnt too much that is directly like RB bro. Id say Saint Vitus but I doubt you would like them....actually you' might like Die Healing (good luck) or V.

You'd definitely enjoy Apostle Of Solitude and Weird Light.

Dude, how about when the Blood Farmers played The Psycopath @ DOBD.

:worship:notworthy:worship:

That was the first time I'd heard the song, because I'm gay, but it still kicked immense, ungodly ammounts of ass.

If they'd covered Burial at Sea I would have been in heaven.

Also, I'd like to add in my vote for "J.'s sister is hot"

Thanks for the compliments on the kid. She is fun, but make no mistake, there are times where I need "me" time, and those times are few and far between. Still, it's a no brainer between her and the computer.

I'll check out those bands you all mentioned. What is Lamp of Thoth like?

Me and the sister come from good stock. :dopey:

Great to hear that everything is going well.

Definitely check out Fall of the Idols!

I must really suck with kids because I never find kids adorable; however, puppies and kitties can be adorable as FUCK.