So there will be a new At The Gates album

It may help if you take into account when it was written. Slaughter of the Soul was so fresh sounding at the time. It still is, but not to the same extent. You had heard nothing like it before, whereas you have 20 years of imitation since then, which desensitizes you a bit. That record sat at the top of Rasputin's music charts for what seemed like years...

:headbang:

I had in mind the time it was done, but still... Months ago for the first time, I had the curiosity to hear the jester race album of in flames. and for the time man, that was something new and fresh, and I am not even a in flames fan but for todays standards, it´s just one more melodeath album.

1995 was when also came, the gallery from Dark Traquinlity and it shows much more dynamic, diversity and musicality and still today doesnt sound like the regular melodeath album that is being copied by everyone else.

Once again Slaughter to the soul is a good album but I cant see it so great as people like to paint it but then again it´s a matter of taste, I think.

I don't think its fair to compare those 3 even though they're all the 'gothenburg sound'. Very different vibes.
Personally, Slaughter of the Soul is closer to Heartwork to my ears.

I had in mind the time it was done, but still... Months ago for the first time, I had the curiosity to hear the jester race album of in flames. and for the time man, that was something new and fresh, and I am not even a in flames fan but for todays standards, it´s just one more melodeath album.

1995 was when also came, the gallery from Dark Traquinlity and it shows much more dynamic, diversity and musicality and still today doesnt sound like the regular melodeath album that is being copied by everyone else.

Once again Slaughter to the soul is a good album but I cant see it so great as people like to paint it but then again it´s a matter of taste, I think.

Again, it's closer to Terminal Spirit Disease than Slaughter. At least that the vibe I get. I like it a lot but the production seems is a bit too slick and smooth for their music imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, I wish I could dig his voice. I've always liked the musical side, but I can't dig the way he screams.

Production seems sweet as well, altho I don't like it quite as much as Jens' other productions.

Is it just me or are the drums a bit buried?

Sort of let-down with this, I must say. Although I'm not sure what I would've expected - it does indeed have the old ATG vibe, just doesn't make me go all hard in the pants.

I ADORE that track. Sounds like ATG with a touch of contemporary freshness to me. I'm super psyched so far.

I dig it, especially as just a taste of the album. Straight forward and no filler. Really like the low end on the mix, bass sits really nice.

Damn, I wish I could dig his voice. I've always liked the musical side, but I can't dig the way he screams.

Production seems sweet as well, altho I don't like it quite as much as Jens' other productions.

I think the same. I will even say more, of course that will seem like a blasphemy to all fans but he is one of the most annoying screamers in the scene.

He sang in Nightrage and even if the music was great his voice was a turn off.

Is it just me or are the drums a bit buried?

Sort of let-down with this, I must say. Although I'm not sure what I would've expected - it does indeed have the old ATG vibe, just doesn't make me go all hard in the pants.

sounds like the transients are kind of soft to my ears, kind of a warm old school vibe. i like the mix but the music is not really what i was hoping for, song sounds like ATG covering the haunted.

doesn't sound like anything new to me so i'm finding it kind of pointless. production/mix is cool but again kind of on the safe/clean side. wasn't really expecting much more though tbh. groundbreaking and innovative in 95, done to death in 2014.

I dunno, I think it's more fresh than much of the music that gets hyped these days, loving this.

I think the same. I will even say more, of course that will seem like a blasphemy to all fans but he is one of the most annoying screamers in the scene.

He sang in Nightrage and even if the music was great his voice was a turn off.

I didn't know that, but it kinda explains my feelings towards nightrage as well :lol:

Although for me in nightrage it didn't strike me as that much off, but I didn't dive too far into them yet.

It took me a while with some other vocalists as well to appriciate them (Warrel Dane, Alexi Laiho for example), so that might at some point...for now tho, I just always hearing some kind of undertone that throws me off.

So eat that dick Jeff :lol: