So Wacken is over....where are the RC gang?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I spoke to Chief B today in London - he said that Wacken was astounding. Apparently.....

- Slayer unequivocally stole the show. (I knew they would - they are worshipped in Germany).

- Testament did great along with great performances from Thyrfing (throwing cows blood over the audience) and Ancient Rites.

- Worst performance by far was Soilwork.

- Backstage was incredible - if only to get out of the heat and crowds.

- The beer flowed like rivers

- Wacken will probably become an anuual tradition now, heh.

Wacken folks - share your stories. :Spin:

- Phyre failed miserably to actually find any members of the RC crew

- Testament performed the best fucking concert I have ever attended

I'll write more later.

Where the hell did the last few days go? I am now sitting in London with blistered feet and a throat that is a dry as the Sahara desert!

Slayer just stole the show. I looked around and was terrified to see 35,000 standing in anticipation. The rows of people went from the stage area all the way back to the entrance, just a phenomenal moment in my life to see. The crowd went mad, with bodies being pushed above our heads. It looked like cockroaches on their backs being washed away.
At one stage, I was squashed and was thinking was I gonna be one of those unlucky sods. There was no retreat, no where to turn. It was chaos, but it ruled. They did all their classics including my fav - Dead Skin Mask and South of Heaven.

Other great bands were Testament and Twisted Sister (the Crowd gave them a huge ovation).

Thyrfing were chucking cows blood at the crowd during their set-list. I'm sure if I received any, I would have been chucking my guts up...which is what happend to the lead singer of Carpathian Forrest. At the end of the track he was just chucking his guts up. The amusing visual was on the huge LCD screens which showed a close-up of the lead singer puking pure liquid, it almost looked like projectile vomit. Now, clear vomit is an indication of exceesive whisky - the same has happened to myself and a bottle of Johnny Walker. After a 5 minute break, one of the members over the PA stated 'We are still waiting for the homosexual member of our group to appear' - very amusing.

The biggest disappointment was Gamma Ray. Their set list was awful, for some reason they did not play their classic stuff, just stuff that you would expect on the B sides of a single. This was their chance to get the audience to go nuts, but instead the audience were stupified zombies...

...which brings me onto our car journey. After the shows, we would jump into our car and drive from the VIP car park down the dirt track onto another track which seperates the main arena from the camping grounds. It's the middle of the night and we have to use our beam lights to ensure we don't knock any one down. As soon as our beam lights hit the backs of staggering people, they suddenly turn and wobble, looking at us. It was like watching a scene from a classic George A Romero movie like Day of the Dead. Some people actually decided to walk towards the light of the car - that was a scarry thing to see.

The scorching heat on Friday was just unbearable. The temperature was 29 - 32 Celsius, and with no shade, some people were dropping like flies under the Suns gaze. Those that were drinking from 11am, were soon sleeping by 2pm - and getting a rather nasty lobster tan.

The Saturday night after-party held in the VIP section was a merry drunken state. The Royal Carnage and Metal Rules team (special hello to Ice Maiden) occupied a table in which the Vodka and beer were running well into 5am. So many pictiures were taken, that legal action may be taken if any are publicised :tickled:! I shall leave this bit for Markgugs.

Of course, so much happened at Wacken that to write everything would take eternity, so consider this as the ball-rolling exercise for everyone who was there to fill in.

Chief B

phyre said:
- Phyre failed miserably to actually find any members of the RC crew

What? Why didn't you use your backstage pass man? So you never got the RC shirt or Forefather CD? o_O

ChiefB said:
...It's the middle of the night and we have to use our beam lights to ensure we don't knock any one down. As soon as our beam lights hit the backs of staggering people, they suddenly turn and wobble, looking at us. It was like watching a scene from a classic George A Romero movie like Day of the Dead. Some people actually decided to walk towards the light of the car - that was a scarry thing to see.

:lol: That is the funniest thing I have read in days. Oh man, cannot wait to catch up with everyone.

JayKeeley said:
What? Why didn't you use your backstage pass man? So you never got the RC shirt or Forefather CD?
I used my backstage pass on several occasions all of the days and looked all over for anyone in an RC shirt but didn't find anyone. I dunno, strange. :/

I can't believe people thought 32 Celsius was hot, it hasn't been that cold here since May. :tickled:

I'm not surprised Slayer slayed, those guys are one helluva live act.

phyre said:
I used my backstage pass on several occasions all of the days and looked all over for anyone in an RC shirt but didn't find anyone. I dunno, strange. :/
Damn - that is such bad luck and a shame. I guess what the guys should have done is split the days for when to wear the RC shirts so there would always be somebody wearing one. And I guess you couldn't get to a phone since you were camping....

Hope you enjoyed the event either way - I'm sure you did. Will you be going back next year?! Maybe we can ALL hang out then. :)

I will almost certainly be going back next year yeah, and I did enjoy the event -- I travelled there with lots of people I know which is a reason I couldn't hang around the backstage all of the time as I was with them. I couldn't really access a phone either.

Next year!

I would be interested to find out also how Slayer went across at the Sziget festival they played last week too ... in Hungary.

All of REIGN IN BLOOD ???? Ahhhhhhhh .. there better be some video evidence of this somewhere

Ok fine, I'll post more than that.

In order of who ruled my world:
- Slayer
- Thyrfing
- Testament
- Twisted Sister
- Freedom Call
- The Crown
- Dew-Scented
- Callenish Circle
- Ancient Rites
- Running Wild
- Sonata Arctica (I was just too damned tired at this point)
- In Flames
- Carpathian Forest
- Dark Funeral
- everyone else who I can't remember, except Gamma Ray & Soilwork, who disappointed for various and different reasons

Other notes:
- I'm never drinking vodka with Finns again
- I'm upset that I didn't get to meet Erik, and yes, like dumb-asses, we all wore our RC shirts on one day, Friday, which was so fucking hot I thought I was going to die
- I need new feet
- and shins, now that you mention it
- German women rule
- German hotels have no fucking air-conditioning. Fucking barbarians
- warm carbonated water sucks
- bier ist guten

Um, there's loads more, it'll be in the review. And oh yeah, we've already got our hotel rooms for next year. :)

markgugs said:
- I'm upset that I didn't get to meet Erik, and yes, like dumb-asses, we all wore our RC shirts on one day, Friday, which was so fucking hot I thought I was going to die
Oh yeah. I think Friday was the one day I didn't go backstage, partly because I didn't think you'd be there all that much the first day when only four bands played, and partly because I was drunk as fuck that night. I wouldn't have fucking found the way to the backstage area, I got all lost in the camping area and walked in circles and fell over in ditches trying to find my tent in the dark. Jägermeister will do that to you. :p

As I said... Next year!

phyre said:
- Testament performed the best fucking concert I have ever attended

I've seen Testament a couple of times ('90 & '03) and the really noticeable thing about them is how clear their sound is. Not only do they play tight, but their sound PA system is just top notch.

On the recent Gods of Metal tour, I saw them in NY and I swear, I could hear every 'clank' of Steve DiGiorgio's bass. It was just pristine.

How was their sound at Wacken? Did they play a variation of old stuff with the new?

Come on people - fill me in on the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm stuck at work - I need some escapism. :cool:

Ali, let's put it this way, they played about 3, maybe 4 songs off their '90s albums, and I think all but 1 of those was from 'The Gathering.'

Everything else was off 'The Legacy,' 'The New Order' and 'Practice What You Preach!' It was fucking amazing! Hands-down best setlist of the festival.