HC III Cheers & Jeers thread

Dark One

The Tainted Dogma
Feb 5, 2002
Southwest Florida
www.ultimatemetal.com
Hey, why not? (Completely random)

Cheers:

- Station 4's decision to not have Sloppy Joes during HC III. The smell was actually tolerable this year!

- Iced Earth for scheduling their show on Thursday, thus providing an instant, unofficial and awesome pre-party. And I got to hear Barlow sing the 3rd part of the Gettysburg Trilogy! (read: :headbang:). No When the Night Falls or Travel in Stygian (both long overdue for a setlist revisit, but I'll take it!)

- swizzlenuts for taking the time to brew an awesome batch of Heathen Red Ales, which far surpassed the beer being passed off as Heathen Ale at Station 4. It was lively, hoppy and delicious!

- JayKeeley, for being able to make it out through a last minute intervention by the gods of Heathendom. It made an awesome weekend.... well....just that much more awesomer! :kickass:

- The entire RC/UM crew (too many names to isolate, too many names to thank, too many great memories to list). It was better than ever this year and I hope we can keep what is turning into a great tradition going.

- The festivities at the Holiday Inn. It didn't matter who you were, if you were a fan, you were welcome by almost anyone who was partying. Best example: 5-6 of us were getting into the elevator and 5-6 folks were also getting off the elevator. All of us instantly stopped and cheered each other as if it were a huge reunion. It was actually touching in an inebriated way. That kind of camaraderie will always keep me coming back for more.

- Ancient Rites, for overcoming multiple last minute roadblocks to deliver a passionate and inspired performance. Next time more from "The Diabolic Seranades" please, but hey, that's just a selfish me talking.

- Woods of Ypres, for playing the entire "Against the Seasons" album. If someone had asked me beforehand what should be included to make up their perfect setlist for the show, I would've said, well..... the entire "Against the Seasons" album.

- David Gold, for hanging out and seeming genuinely happy to just be one of the gang.

- Ulveheim & Inquisition for supplying the annual out of nowhere "holy shit these guys rock live" moments.

- Moonsorrow, for taking charge and leading the way only a true headliner can. They showed just how worthy of being the main event they were.

- The sound and band orgainization at Station 4. Hardly any problems whatsoever with band changeovers and top notch sound almost all the way around. Kudos and thank yous are in order.

- Perkins, for providing all day breakfast service.

- Gatorade & Advil, for providing near instant hangover relief.

- The weather, for not being too unbearable this time around, and providing just enough "grimness" to add to the atmosphere.

Jeers:

- The lighting at Station 4. As well run as the festival was, this situation has to be remedied. I felt like I needed sunglasses all weekend and several times was actually glad the poles were there in the middle to provide some eye shielding. Constantly squinting is not metal.

- The security at the Holiday Inn. It was way over the top this year. If you don't want loud metal heads partying all over your hotel, don't provide a discount group rate and welcome it with open arms. Obviously I understand the need to prevent incidents like property damage and the like, but enough is enough already.

- The lady at the front desk on Saturday for providing false directions to Perkins. It's funny, as soon as she wrote down the directions and copped an attitude while doing it, I said to our colleagues, "I wouldn't be surprised if she gave us the wrong directions". Sure enough, she did.

- The male bartender at Station 4 on Saturday. What was with the chip on his shoulder? I mean, if you don't want to be there, then don't be there. Stop acting like every time we're ordering a drink it's somehow causing you stress. (By contrast, the main server on Friday was extremely friendly and approachable)

- The bar running out of Winter Ale early on Saturday.

- Having a 7:45 am flight on Sunday morning causing me to miss out on hanging after the show on Saturday (fortunately, the festival on Saturday was so good it more than made up for it).

Jason

- The male bartender at Station 4 on Saturday. What was with the chip on his shoulder? I mean, if you don't want to be there, then don't be there. Stop acting like every time we're ordering a drink it's somehow causing you stress. (By contrast, the main server on Friday was extremely friendly and approachable)

While this guy did appear to be hating his job, he delivered the stiffest drinks of the entire staff. Therefore, I give him a cheer! :kickass:

First, to those fucking security guards and the cops who came on Saturday night. Fuck off! At one point, after we had gotten tossed out of probably 4 other rooms, I ended up in Jerry's room with him, Mike, Luanne, Ben, and some of the guys from Wolven Ancestry, so maybe 7 or 8 people max. No music, just sitting on the beds talking and drinking when the cops knock on the door. After shuffling some Wolven guys into the bathroom with Jerry so that we met the FIVE person limit that security was putting on each room they come in and proceed to tell us that there had been a shooting and a couple of stabbings. "In the hotel?!?!" we asked bewildered. "No, in the area" one of the cops replied. What the fuck! I went to high school with one of these guys, just spent the last 48 hours with half of them, sleeping on each other's floors, and I just shared a drink with the rest after watching them PERFORM on STAGE. If the cops were worried about things getting violent, Heathen Crusade is the absolute LAST place to look! The only reason things would get violent is if they started throwing people out of the hotel or arresting them for assinine reasons. Seriously, fuck you St. Paul PD! I trust RCers, crusaders, and these band members more than I would any other person in your entire city.

I hold no animosity towards the first two security guards. How can you dislike a guy who uses the tag line, "don't make me do something that I don't want to do"? :lol: Rosco from night three on the other hand can go suck a bag of dicks. (Now with ridges) The second floor is comprised of a lobby area and a slew of conference rooms. There wasn't a non-heathen guest within ear shot, but this negar from deepest darkest Africa felt compelled to rain dance on our gathering, despite the majority of the party goers casting a ballot in Barack's name one week prior. Kelly Inn for HIV.

My second jeer is much more mild, but the grab bag was a big let down. Two of the CDs are blatantly anti-semitic, and all of them completely suck. I also couldn't even give away those posters at the fest despite my hardest efforts. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of random shit that my only option is to keep or throw out because, really, none of it is worth holding onto

The only thing worthwhile was the laminate and the bag itself. A coupon for a free chili dog, 1 heathen ale, crusade band posters, groovy stickers, and the like, would have been much more worthwhile.

My second jeer is much more mild, but the grab bag was a big let down. Two of the CDs are blatantly anti-semitic, and all of them completely suck. I also couldn't even give away those posters at the fest despite my hardest efforts. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of random shit that my only option is to keep or throw out because, really, none of it is worth holding onto.

Don't forget the free A Life Once Lost download! :Smug:

And while I agree the CDs were pretty low quality, other than one having a German WWII referencing name, Unless I am missing something, I didn't see anything that could be interpreted as anti-semetic.

And I agree with everyone else - the cops and the security guard on Saturday were lame.

I hold no animosity towards the first two security guards. How can you dislike a guy who uses the tag line, "don't make me do something that I don't want to do"?

Don't forget the security gaurd from Thursday night. He knocks on our door and then Brian yells, "Go away if you are a cop", without knowing that it was a cop. Then the guard is practically walking away as he is telling us to keep it down.

Cheers:

-The interviews that I did get to conduct while at Heathen Crusade: Petras from Velnias, Wolven Ancestry, and Dave from Woods of Ypres

-Meeting all the UM members, though I don't even know most of the members' real names.

-Meeting the Metal Psalter (formerly Metal Coven) crew that was present.

-Beer and food runs that were within walking distance

-The "Burrito Van"

-The Manowar/Skylark singalong that happened in a 3rd room floor Friday afternoon.

-Drinking lots of beer while only having to pay for the Czechvar lager.

-The fact that my room was one of the few that wasn't completely trashed, although parts of the bathroom floor, as well as a spot on the carpet had my vomit.

Jeers:

-Having the popcorn chicken from the hotel restaurant, only to throw it back up at 2 AM on Thursday.

-Chickening out on the Metsatoll interview (never got confirmation before the weekend and didn't want to pester the band for an interview, as suggested by my colleague Phil).

-Never even getting the chance to pester Moonsorrow for an interview

-Being the one of the unlucky bastards who didn't get a seat to themselves in the "Burrito Van"

-Having to throw away perfectly good beer and chips Sunday morning, as well as the leftover Mountain Dew Red.

Full Details of The Burrito Van?

The Burrito Van is actually a white van from Oregon, since the two people who came into town were from Oregon. The ten to eleven people in the van included five people from the Portland, OR area, myself, my two roommates for the weekend, and a couple of other guys. Unless you had the front seats or the two individual seats in the middle, you were either squished in the back or having to try and keep feeling in your legs while squatting in between the seats.

Jason

While this guy did appear to be hating his job, he delivered the stiffest drinks of the entire staff. Therefore, I give him a cheer! :kickass:

He was one of the security staff pressed into emergency service. He normally does not bartend. When he does, he mixes one stiff drink.

His personality is normally like that. Once you know him though, he reacts differently to you.

Cheers
--------------
The People
The Pageantry
The Pedialyte

Jeers
--------------

No Crusade flyers to steal.
No band list on back of HC3 shirt
Iced Earth leaving their barricade
Cold Chili Dogs

Cheers (way too many to mention but in summary):

- To my company for paying my way to HC 3. Of course, our stock price is at $0.03 and we've been de-listed from NYSE stock exchange but I still managed to get a flight out of them
- The people, especially hanging out with the RC gang again *group hug*
- The sound at station 4. Now if they can only fix the lights....
- Approachable band members, especially Gunther Theys and kudos to David Gold, possibly one of the most articulate metal artists I've met

Jeers:

- I echo the lights problem. For some bands they got it perfect (see: Velnias, Inquisition), and for others it was total nonsense. And not that this counts but even the worst lit stage at HC3 was better than the lights for Iced Earth the night before!! That entire performance was the equivalent of staring head on into the sun with 3.1 gigawatt strobe lights flashing randomly in our periphery

- Murphy's Red, which later became the HC Ale, was the most disgusting thing I've ever drunk. Even after telling the barman that it was flat and skunked, he tasted it and told us that was normal. And when more people complained and they eventually chucked it, they swapped the HC Ale over to Coors Light

- Sorry, it's gotta be said, but Morrigan well and truly fucked us. I'm glad for Inquisition and they totally ruled the stage, but Morrigan's excuse for having another gig lined up is weak. Still, we can forgive them if they make it to HC 4 (on their own dime) ;)

Cheers:

-The amazing performances by all the bands, especially Metsatoll.
-The friendly fans at HC3, allowing me to overcome a little of my social anxiety and talk to some of you.
-Swizzles excellent homebrew.

Jeers:
-My northerner blood which has been thinned by 2 1/2 years in Arizona followed by the last 11 1/2 in North Carolina. Damn, it was cold to me even though it was not really that cold outside.
-Having to wait at least a year to do this again.:erk:

Cheers:
-the people. THE PEOPLE! everyone ruled.
-the fermented apple cider.
-Station 4 security for not kicking me out
-Station 4 bartender for serving me even though I was clearly trashed out of my mind
-the SuperShuttle driver that picked me up from the airport. he told me awesome stories from when he was in the first war in Iraq

Jeers:
-no mead at the fest. "We couldn't get a license to serve it." I didn't think you needed an extra license for that.
-the random gash that I got in my right wrist. where'd that come from?!
-security at the hotel. hotels should just have soundproofed party rooms.
-never making it to the Oregon folks' room to dig into their Dead Guy keg.
-the SuperShuttle driver that picked me up from the hotel. what a douche. no tip for him!

Cheers:
-Fans
-Bands
-Steve L.
-Brain H & Brian B. (Both Great Guys)
-Ali (for touching me in the right ways) ... lol.
-Ulveheim (carlos) for bringing me some fine Tequlia from Mexico

Jeers:
-Getting a cold on Saturday until today... still feeling sick.
-Fucker who skipped out on paying a band that made me and my partner pay at the end.
-Rockstar attitudes
-My friend who I brought to the fest, who whined and cried the whole time about his girlfriend.

Cheer: Velnias for selling grey t-shirts.

Jeer: The owners of the parking ramp up the block switching to tenant/permit-only. Fortunately there wasn't a blizzard or anything, so it wasn't THAT bad having to find a spot on the street, but woe unto anyone who arrived late.