So Wacken is over....where are the RC gang?

Erik, keep in mind we were able to shower twice a day if we wanted! But I hear you...luckily, my nose was so filled with black snot I couldn't smell the countless metal minions and their *ahem* olfactory specialness.

Phenominal, Superb, Mesmerizing, Awe-inspiring. Pick any of these descriptions, they all fit. After waking up today after sleeping for what must've been 15 hours, I finally have a chance to chime in on my experience. Quite simply, not only was it the greatest festival I've been to, but it was the greatest metal experience of my life.

For myself - Twisted Sister, Slayer, Testament, Thyrfing, Carpathian Forest, Dew Scented, In Flames, Stratovarius and even Onkel Tom (Yes Onkel Tom!) were all absolutely outstanding. In addition, Running Wild, The Crown, Freedom Call, Sonata Arctica, Ancient Rites, Rage, Twisted Tower Dire & Dismember all put on very,very good shows as well. Average shows from Annihilator, Nile & Metalium. Only the disappointing Gamma Ray & Soilwork could be lumped into the category of "Ok, Bratwurst & Beer time". I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple, but just bringing revitalization to my remaining brain cells will take some time. :loco:

Best setlist selection awards go to Testament (they knew exactly what the crowd wanted to hear) and Stratovarius (ditto, I couldn't believe they whipped out "Visions" "Twilight Symphony" & "Against the Wind").

(Just some of the many) Memorable moments - Number 1, The incident with Carpathian Forest (this was HILARIOUS, after the singer puked on stage and a 10 minute delay ensued, the band couldn't get their instruments right for the next song prompting the lead singer to argue with his shirtless 500 pound bassist and then declare to the audience "Sorry, I'm just waiting for my homosexual band members to get ready.")
-Number 2, getting caught in the backstage area during Dark Funeral because Slayer's meet and greet session caused mass hysteria and the backstage entrance to be shut down. I had to walk for half an hour to get all the way around to the main entrance where I promptly caught Dark Funeral walking off the stage for their last song and Markgugs telling me how much they just ruled, "D'OH!!!"
-Number 3, ducking and narrowly avoiding getting hit by Thyrfing's cow blood only to turn around and get wailed in the face, arms and camera with a fresh batch (Mark got hit so bad it prompted the backstage security to almost radio for help before Mark had to reassure him it was all part of the act, haha). Myself and Mark proudly wore our "badges" for hours before succumbing to the need to wash. :)
-Number 4, the final backstage party on Saturday night. What a blast it was, getting to witness our team members in about as wild a state as it can get. Mark truly put on a show for everyone by falling over the bench, but I topped him (not that that's a good thing) numerous times throughout the festival by knocking over my own bench causing Jesper Stromblad to laugh his ass off, in addition to knocking over an entire section of one of the backstage bar stands by trying to lean on a part that was nothing more than a balloon. All I can remember is Mark, ChiefB and our friend Jim laughing to the point of passing out while running in the other direction. I of course was left in the spotlight to take my well deserved bow, haha. Oh yeah, I also loudly fell flat on my back during one of my showers leading me to win the official Royal Carnage All Time Stupid Clutz award. :)

So many other great times to mention, which hopefully will all make it into the forthcoming report.

I would also like to personally thank Mark, ChiefB, Jim and Scott for being my partners in crime for one of the best experiences of my life. To the two of you that read the forum:

Mark - You're the best. For whatever absolutely dumb reasons I had, it took me awhile, but I now finally fully understand that your brand of humor and everything is totally meant in a caring way. Sometimes it's hard when you're as sensitive a person (who dwells on things too much) as I am to understand that, but it's so clear now what kind of person you are. I just know from this point forward, we'll have nothing but a blast anytime we get to hang out. I also want you to know that I'm very glad you and Jim made such good friends, he's a great guy and certainly someone I consider a best friend. Thanks for all the driving, thanks for making sure I didn't miss Thyrfing, and just thanks for everything. PROST my brother!!

ChiefB - You are without a doubt one of the nicest people I've ever met in my life. I can't begin to tell you how much fun I had hanging out with you and hope we get to do it more often as your schedule permits. Your sacrifices Saturday night to get all of us home safely (even if we did almost get lost in the cornfields, haha!), will not be forgotten, nor will all the great times we had together. Maybe next time around we can even entice you to have a few more German brews if we have a big enough crew (I certainly think JayKeeley can help out there, haha). PROST my brother!!

Wacken 2003 - months of hype, months of anticipation, months of dreams, zero letdown.

JayKeeley said:
By the way, nobody mentioned performances from Annihilator and Sentenced? Was that beer/nap time or did they grab your attention?

I did mention Annihilator (albeit a blurb). As for Sentenced, I don't believe anyone caught them; their reputation as a much better studio band than a live band precedes them. I saw them in Philly, and while I enjoyed the music, their stage presence was pretty much negligible.

I saw Annihilator and Sentenced. I cannot say much about Annihilator as I wasn't familiar with any of their material beforehand but it seemed like a solid concert. Sentenced... Well, they did play "Nepenthe," "Noose" and a pretty cruddy version of "The Trooper." Most of the rest was from TCWL, only one song from "Crimson." Decent but the singer's between-songs banter was absolutely pathetic and detracted a lot from the whole experience. Good to have seen 'em but nothing amazing.