So what do we think of Yammy NS10's?

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Doing a bit of background reading on these monitors seems to indicate that these things are loved for their sheer disgusting way of demonstrating to you what a terrible mix you have.

I wonder whether it's worth picking up an old pair, and what to wire em' with amp wise if so for the least colouration. (I have a pair of cheap actives atm)

Maybe its a stupid idea, and there are plenty of amazing monitors that will blow their arse out of the water.

Cheerz

kev

I'd say you pretty much summed it up - arguably the greatest REFERENCE monitor out there, but certainly not something I'd want for my only pair!

hmmm, is there any specific reason why a lot of people wont use ns10's by themselves? Whats the best monitors to mix with them?

Mix them with something with a flat even response and an extended low and high end. Flat they are not, but they are a known quantity when going to other studio's, have very fast response and a character that reveals details well. I'm not saying that from hands on experience though, so take it as a summary of what I've heard.

Joe

hmmm, is there any specific reason why a lot of people wont use ns10's by themselves? Whats the best monitors to mix with them?

Something flat and accurate, I'd say! (cuz NS10's are anything but, they're super hyped in the mids and have very little lows)

The favored power amps seem to be Bryston 3b/4b and Adcom 535/545/555. Yamaha P2200/P3200 gets some praise as well.

I'd say you pretty much summed it up - arguably the greatest REFERENCE monitor out there, but certainly not something I'd want for my only pair!

+ fucking infinity. The NS10's reputation has twisted so much that more and more people are recommending them as primary monitors though they don't have any idea how they actually sound in real life :)

I just bought a pair. I've got a pair of HR824s so they should go great together. Can anyone recommend an amp for under £200/$300? Pretty strapped for cash considering I only paid £310 for my NS10s...they're in great shape though!

Sorry, not to steal the thread, but kind of related question... are the HS80's or the 50's any similar to the NS10's?

Sorry, not to steal the thread, but kind of related question... are the HS80's or the 50's any similar to the NS10's?

They are alright, but not very similar. If you get them, don't get them for that reason.

I know some people who use NS10's as their only pair (with a sub). You need a sub, or a 2nd pair to hear what's going on in the low end.

They are alright, but not very similar. If you get them, don't get them for that reason.

I know some people who use NS10's as their only pair (with a sub). You need a sub, or a 2nd pair to hear what's going on in the low end.
No no, if I ever got them, it would definitely not be for that reason. I'd like to know if the HS80's are flatter than the NS10's to use as an only pair. How's the low-end on them?