So what do you guys think about this Timo Tolkki business?

Whoah... I'm still not done with the Stratovarius forum thread...

Jens posted too, and I don't think it's funny either:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Downloading Elements pt 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It's nobody's right to discuss my morale.
I have my morale codecs.
The guidelines:
1. Do everything you can to survive
2. Do everything you can to get what you want
3. Remember that for everything you get now for free, you will have to pay later.

And the third rule has kept me on surviving."

(Jens)
And the new "rule of survival" for bands will be:

1) Don't go play in any countries where people have low copyright morale.

I think that King Diamond interview pretty much says it all. This is definitely going to influence the choice in live music in your local scene from this point on (as I have in fact predicted for years). I went to the HammerFall/Kings X/DIO gig yesterday (still hung over..), and just judging from the "industry small talk" a lot of people are worried, finally.

You guys' quite variegated attitudes to piracy in this forum assists us in seeing a more full picture, too, because of course, we know which country you are posting from. So for instance, if people in general in, say, Lithuania seem very eager to "do everything they can to get what they want" and thus avoid buying official CDs, we certainly won't waste time playing there.

Remember, with Stratovarius, every time you download a song, there's a fair chance that you hit one of "our" servers and your whole country gets another "little brown star" on its map. (I think you can readily imagine what the color stands for :) ).

I think also you can imagine that other bands (and management companies) will be very interested in any statistics we can generate as a windfall to this Elements disaster.

Jens

I really understand the copyright issue, but this thing has gone too far already, back and forth...
Symphony X and Kamelot, for example, handled this kind of "leaked-album" topic more than reasonable and like fine personalities, no threats, no whatever...
There goes to show, how true and loyal bands really are to their fans.

Funny, funny, by reaching the end (so far LOL) of the thread in the Strato forum, things are getting more and more ridiculous. People are repeating themselves, Mr. Tolkki becomes more and more pissed, he even bans users from the forum for using improper language, and now he himself is talking like "you can kiss my ass" and "i don't give a flying fuck"...

Maybe this "Elements-Disaster", as it is being called already, is just a smart promotion gag - who knows....

Thank goodness for bands and musicians such as Symphony X = character & personality, and the ability to respect their fans and not shutting them out and threatening to not play their country because of high downloading rates!

Now I agree with all of you other guys that said you wish that Symphony X should not be mega-sellers (although they deserve only the best)...
I think that big status poisons the big egotistical mind....

Mr. "T" pitty the fool who downloadin' his music:yell:

That angers me. Tolkki can just sit on a bicycle without a seat. I have a Stratovarius Cd, and I thought they sounded alright. Damn, now I can't bear to listen to them, because I know that Tolkki holds a personal grudge against me. Ooooh, i downloaded one of their songs!! Horrors! Now I, as well as all of his other fans aren't considered fans in his eyes.

What a hypocrite! He writes some lame essays on his website about peace and love, how people should respect each other, you may even think he's a libertarian person. Now, he wants to sue the entire world!
I'm sure Lar$ would be proud...

Symphony X will have the ultimate revenge on Stratovarius...by embarrassing their formulaic asses night after night on the upcoming tour. I've heard three songs from the new album and they are awful. Tolkki is beginning to make Lars seem reasonable, at least he had the sense to go for the source than target individuals directly and threaten to infect their computers.

ProgMetalFan too funny! Your crackin me up, but yes I hear ya!

Also these Strato clown needs to realize that in the MAJORITY of cases with mp3's etc... in the metal genre... it actually HELPS SALES.

I cant tell you how much my CD purchasing went up since being able to hear the CD's before hand.

I understand his frustration, and bands frustrations but like Bear said this problem starts with the PROMO COPIES.

If bands and record labels are that fed up STOP SENDING PROMO COPIES OUT.

Or do what some bands do... send only a 4 song promo, or a snippets promo, or something like that.

New Stratovarius album is...
flower.jpg

Originally posted by Lady Of The Snow

Maybe this "Elements-Disaster", as it is being called already, is just a smart promotion gag - who knows....

[/B]

damn...that's what should of called the album...."Elements-Disaster"

Man, this Timo Tolkki is a pile of crap!! What an asshole!! Not 'bout the pirate unauthorized stuff, and about this, I totally agree with him, but for his crispness with his fans!! "I don't want you as a fan"?!?!?! So, stick up your money on your big ol' ass, 'cuz I DON'T WANT YOU AS AN IDOL, EITHER, YOU ASSHOLE!!!

Whatever you think of their music (nothing too special to me), the guy does have a right to be pissed off, but at the right people - not everyone. At the end of the day, no matter how badly a fan wants to hear it, it's still his property.

You can't force a band to give you free music in order to assess them. If they don't comply, you just leave it, you don't screw the band, just like you would't force yourself on every girl who refuses a date with you. You just move on without them.

Having said that, the people to chase are the scum uploading it. To the fans all he should do is plea them not to d/l, not threaten them with legal action.

On the official Stratoarius forum...and he says "In that case I don´t want you as a fan." I thought I was seeing things. Then he said it again in another post!

I understand him being disturbed. But to write a comment like this on the forum where the fans go, I find this so lame.

I'm sure it bothers the guys in SymX too when this happens, but they would NEVER post a direct attack like this at us. They VALUE every fan they have. Symphony X rules!.... and I'm GLAD they're opening for Stratovarius. They're gonna get a lot of new fans, especially when they meet them outside and talk nice to them. :)

Sure, Tolkki has every right to be upset that people leaked their album, but his attitude is uncalled for and his approach is all wrong. Not to mention he contradicts himself by booting people from the forum from cussing and then does the same himself... It honestly makes me look at the guys in a different light... and I have lost respect for them. I'm not a huge fan of the band, but I think their music is alright... nothing really special though, not to mention that I think Timo Tolkipelto's voice is pretty rancid, but that's besides the point. The point is that Tolkki needs to realize that this whole approach he is using is going to hurt the band more than it will help them. If it wasn't for MP3s I wouldnt have ever heard of Stratovarius at all in the first place.

Maybe mr T is worried about people hearing their music in advance, because they will then decide not to buy it when it's released? If the music's good enough, it will sell. But is it?

However I happen to know how annoying it is that, after paying your ass broke for making a record, some assh*** goes "wild n' pirate" with your album.

Yin and Jang. There's always (at least) two sides to everything.

to Jaska Jokunen: my words!!! :)
You should not blame him for being an asshole, because you never been in his position. Maybe YOU would be even a bigger ASS. So , his motives are understandable. But .....

If I am a member of your forum then your music is NOT indifferent to me , then probably I am your FAN. YOU are popular <==> You have a lot of FANS. A lot of guys like me. When you try to threaten me, when you try to tell me what should I do, and what should I do not, then you have no respect for me ==> then you are a piece of shit? Logically?

You may tell to everyone you want not to download the album, you scare them you'll bite of their dick, or something else,
but when you behave your self like a moron whith your fans , people from your own forum ??

I've never heard Stratovarius , and I think that I 'll never hear them...

I think he (Timo) went a bit too far with his comments... I can understand why he's pissed, but they're not the first band, who has gone trough this, and they certainly won't be the last band either.

I've been reading the discussion from Strato's finnish board and there were a lot of ppl making good arguments on this subject. And then came mr. Tolkki and banned all of them! It seems to me, that since they had a lot of knowledge about the laws and stuff, Timo felt unsure of himself and banned them, so he didn't have to reply to them...

Well, anyways, I'm really looking forward to see Strato live here, but the main reason for that is... SYMPHONY X!!! :D