So what grade do you give 2005 so far?

As Krigloch said, Moonsorrow, this album is definately my fave for the year, and I am liking Naglfar a lot too. I still can't tell the difference between most Shining releases.

Demonspell said:
in terms of discovering and obsessing over music outside the genre that I had previously ignored, neglected or simply wasn't predisposed to enjoy, it's been outstanding.

Seconded. Includes metal, just not any 2005 releases yet.

Profanity said:
Kreator - Enemy Of God
Judas Priest - Angel Of Retribution

both those discs, while competent, had the staying power of my attention span ... 5 spins max and they were completely played out.

lurch70 said:
both those discs, while competent, had the staying power of my attention span ... 5 spins max and they were completely played out.

I agree, especially the new Kreator. I listened to the CD nearly everyday for a week when I first got it, but havent put it on more than once or twice since then.

Very good year IMO. Nevermore, Behemoth, Nile, Cephalic Carnage, Aborted, A Life Once Lost, Fantomas. Still have new Cryptopsy and more to come.

Well no shit it's been bad so far for y'all, the top 3 releases of the year so far haven't even been mentioned:

Nokturnal Mortum - Weltanschauung
Morrigan - Headcult
Jesu - Jesu

also worth hearing:

Clutch - Robot Hive/Exodus
Drudkh - Swan Road
Nachtfalke - As the WOlves Died
Mourning Beloveth - A Murderous Circus
Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Primordial - Gathering Wilderness
Rudra - Brahmavidya
Spiritual Beggars - Demons

with new stuff still to come from Graveland, Summoning, Mael Mordha, Obtest, Arghoslent (hopefully), Belenos (hopefully) and Scald.

But 2005 is not without its dull moments such as:

Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Moonsorrow - Verisakeet
Fear Factory - Transgression
Negura Bunget - Inarborat Kosmos (not awful, but pretty weak in comparison to their others)
Grand Magus - Wolf's Return
Opeth - GHost Reveries (I haven't heard it, but it belongs on this list anyways)

All in all, a pretty damn good year for metal with promises of becoming even beter by December 31. Yep, 2004 was wank in comparison. You people aren't looking hard enough for the good stuff, or simply don't know where to look.

B-

J. said:
Well no shit it's been bad so far for y'all, the top 3 releases of the year so far haven't even been mentioned:

Morrigan - Headcult
Jesu - Jesu

also worth hearing:

Drudkh - Swan Road
Rudra - Brahmavidya

with new stuff still to come from Graveland, Summoning, Mael Mordha, Obtest, Arghoslent (hopefully), Belenos (hopefully) and Scald.

Moonsorrow - Verisakeet
Negura Bunget - Inarborat Kosmos (not awful, but pretty weak in comparison to their others)
Opeth - GHost Reveries (I haven't heard it, but it belongs on this list anyways)

All in all, a pretty damn good year for metal with promises of becoming even beter by December 31. Yep, 2004 was wank in comparison. You people aren't looking hard enough for the good stuff, or simply don't know where to look.

B-

we all cant be as tr00 as y00

J. said:

Morrigan - Headcult
Jesu - Jesu

also worth hearing:

Drudkh - Swan Road
Rudra - Brahmavidya

Moonsorrow - Verisakeet

B-

Many bands on your list are not metal (Jesu, Pelican, Red Sparowes). Those are rock bands.

Its an incredible year so far for me...
Shadow Gallery, Spiritual Beggars, High On Fire, November's Doom, Ion Vein (released this year in Europe), Witchcraft, Primordial, Isole, Veni Domine, Burning Saviours, Redemption, Circulus, Reverend Bizarre, Moonsorrow, Nevermore, Candlemass, Slough Feg, Queens Of The Stone Age, Iommi/Hughes, YOB, SOAD, Corrosion Of Conformity, Ellipsis, Pelican, Communic ... all these bands released albums which are rated from "very very good" to "masterpiece". Really i cant understand the whining either.. i gladly give 2005 a B+ , and if the new albums from Sieges Even and Arcturus are the way i want, then it will be an A-

Slough Feg, Primordial, Witchcraft, Pelican, Mournful Congregation, Rudra, Jesu and Stargazer have all released top-notch albums this year.

I'm mainly waiting on the Aussie bands to deliver (Carbon, GOTH, Misery's Omen) and Portal's debut album is also getting re-released on Profound Lore in the coming weeks, and I recommend it highly (plug #532).

AWESOME YEAR. Some quality 2005 releases:

Blood Red Throne - Altered Genesis
Disgorge - Parallels Of Infinite Torture
Origin - Echoes Of Decimation
Deeds Of Flesh - Crown Of Horns
Severe Torture - Bloodletting
Prostitute Disfigurement - Left In Grisly Fashion
Astrofaes - Those Whose Past Is Immortal
Immolation - Harnessing Ruin
Belphegor - Goatreich: Fleshcult
Vile - The New Age Of Chaos
Defacing - Spitting Savagery
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Equilibrium - Turis Fratyr
Defleshed - Reclaim The Beat

These sound cool, but I haven't listened to them enough yet:

Divine Empire - Methods Of Execution
Digested Flesh - The Answer To Infection
Despised Icon - The Healing Process
Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet
Carnival Of Coal - Collection Prestige
Naglfar - Pariah
Gehenna - WW
Enthroned - Xes Haereticum
Gorerotted - A New Dawn For The Dead
Darkane - Layers Of Lies
Nattefrost - Terrorist

Also, new Aeternus, 1349 and Cryptopsy records soon :) :)

ETC

2005 <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3