So what grade do you give 2005 so far?

christ, i love some straight up brutal death metal but that much in a single year would probably kill me. wait, is morbid angel doing an album this year? nope, they're on infinite tour once again. i really hope vincent sticks around for an album.

oh can i be like j. is with opeth but about the new nokturnal mortEm? i haven't heard it and never will but i already know it totally blows. :)

I think it's been a stellar year thus far.

In no order:

Opeth - Ghost reveries
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Hate Eternal - I, Monarch
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour
Obituary - Frozen In Time
Aborted - The Archaic Abattoir
Exodus - Shovel Head Killing Machine (Brilliant, new vocalist kicks ass and Lee Altus rules on guitar as Rick Hunolt's replacement, and Paul Bostaph is the shit!!!)

Redemption - The Fullness of Time (Ray Alder is great as lead vocalist)
Novembers Doom - The Pale Haunt Departure
Kreator - Enemy Of God
Judas priest - Angel of Retribution
Black Label Society - mafia
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Flotsam and Jetsam - Dreams of death
Overkill - Relixiv
Cathedral - The Garden of Unearthly Delights
Destruction - Inventor Of evil (they even grind blast beats!!)
Vile - The New Age of Chaos

Opeth17 said:
I like Henrik Main. He finds good music for me to check out and alerts me to new releases that will likely pwn. :worship: :D

I like Opeth17, because he's the only one who actually likes the bands I recommend :worship: :D

lurch70 said:
:lol: ... WTF is this? Death Metal?

Yeah, pretty brutal DM with some thrashy riffs and killer, melodic solos. The band name is a bit misleading, as they're not really a typical "OOOOH LOOK AT US WE HAVE EVIL AND TASTELESS SONG TITLES AND LOTS OF GORY IMAGERY" band. Check out this sample if you like (guttural vocals alert):

Prostitute Disfigurement - Victims Of The Absurd

J. said:
I heard this was put off to 2006, but I hope you're right

It's set for an October release

http://www.aeternus-darkermonument.tk/

*Downloads the new song*

Papa Josh said:
While I would agree with anyone that says the new NILE isn't their best, I still say their "crap" is still quite enjoyable in comparison to some artists' best work.

But of course. It just didn't live up to my expectations.

Seriously, you all need to hear the new Cephalic Carnage its insanely good. Nevermore and Cephalic are still neck and neck for #1 in my book this year.

Exodus - Shovel Head Killing Machine (Brilliant, new vocalist kicks ass and Lee Altus rules on guitar as Rick Hunolt's replacement, and Paul Bostaph is the shit!!!)

fuck me ... this disc just sounds wrong ... this is an Exodus cover band at this point with Holt as guest guitarist. The new singer is too much of a barker/growler ... not enough thrash style high pitched stuff ... some good tracks but overall forgetable.

One Inch Man said:
oh can i be like j. is with opeth but about the new nokturnal mortEm? i haven't heard it and never will but i already know it totally blows. :)

sure you can! you can be wrong all you want!

Death/thrash isn't exactly VERY far from the truth, but I'd label them as death metal, plain and simple. Pretty brutal stuff (not in the vein of Brodequin/Liturgy/etc), and with some thrashy riffs thrown in.

lurch70 said:
fuck me ... this disc just sounds wrong ... this is an Exodus cover band at this point with Holt as guest guitarist. The new singer is too much of a barker/growler ... not enough thrash style high pitched stuff ... some good tracks but overall forgetable.

Whatever... You are the only one I've heard that from. Everyome else thinks he's a cross between Baloff and Zetro, which is what I hear, and that is fine by me. So, I guess Testament isn't Testament on The Gathering? :err:

Exodus with Altus and Bostaph who are both actually part of the Exodus family tree and from the Bay. Jeez........

Excellent album. Thank you, that is all. :loco:

Off the top of my head...

Yeah, I concede to there being some great albums this year, no doubt:

On the money:
Primordial, Bruce Dickinson, Novembers Doom, Moonsorrow, Rudra

On the fence:
Nevermore (some of it is phenomenal, the rest is just ok), Slough Feg (lasting appeal is fading, I still firmly believe their debut is the best thing they've done)

Disappointing:
Nokturnal Mortum, Drudkh, Nile, Kreator, Judas Priest

Those in the disappointing list appear there because the fact is, they've done better. While these albums aren't bad, they just don't cut it for me. If you're previous albums are better than your current offering then you're delivering disappointing results. Not sure how this can be argued really.

If those "disappointing" albums moved up to "on the fence" ranking, then the year so far would be a B-. If they moved to "on the money", we're talking A-.

So as it stands, the year is scoring at C- or D+ territory. :p

JayKeeley said:
Off the top of my head...

Yeah, I concede to there being some great albums this year, no doubt:

On the money:
Primordial, Bruce Dickinson, Novembers Doom, Moonsorrow, Rudra

On the fence:
Nevermore (some of it is phenomenal, the rest is just ok), Slough Feg (lasting appeal is fading, I still firmly believe their debut is the best thing they've done)

Disappointing:
Nokturnal Mortum, Drudkh, Nile, Kreator, Judas Priest

Those in the disappointing list appear there because the fact is, they've done better. While these albums aren't bad, they just don't cut it for me. If you're previous albums are better than your current offering then you're delivering disappointing results. Not sure how this can be argued really.

If those "disappointing" albums moved up to "on the fence" ranking, then the year so far would be a B-. If they moved to "on the money", we're talking A-.

So as it stands, the year is scoring at C- or D+ territory. :p

You honestly believe Demolition is better than Angel of Retribution? :OMG: