Report card on the first half of 2005

you know, probably not, but like "metalcore", I don't even know who is considered "post-rock" anymore.
A lot of people consider the new Neurosis stuff post-rock, and it's not my fave. I've heard most Radiohead stuff and they're too pansy for me.

Other than that, maybe a few songs here and there. I've never heard that Godspeed Black Emperor or Mt. Silver Zion everyone's talking about.

Neurosis and/or Radio is NOT post-rock.

I have no idea if you'd like it or not but I could upload a couple GYBE songs when Im done lifting. (in between sets)

edit; actually, the new neurosis might have som e leanings towards PR

The Eye of Every Storm is pure Neurosis to me ... I don't see what's post-rock in it apart from the fact that its less heavy..I understand what you mean though.

J. have you heard Red Sparowes , with members of Neurosis and Isis ?

I agree, it gets that label because they toned down the heaviness and the post-rock influence is more readily apparent, but the approach to composition is still unmistakably Neurosis and a natural progression, especially from the last album.
Doomy: Panopticon casts doubt over that theory, although the above applies to them as well.

Quick rundown of what I've heard:
Mars Volta - Frances the Mute (A-: step down from the previous one but still great)
Meshuggah - Catch 33 (B+: might go higher on further listens)
Biomechanical - Empires of the Worlds (A+: surprise of the year for me)
Overkill - RelixIV (B-: a bit of step down from the previous two, but still solid)
Frameshift - Absence of Empathy (C+: still unsure about this one, too much glam influence)
Dream Theater - Octavarium (C-: I didn't think they'd take a step down from Train of Thought, but I think they did)
Morgana Lefay - Grand Materia (B+: Not the best release from the band, but a good release by any measure)
Candlemass - Candlemass (A: might be my new favorite Candlemass - really good stuff)
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (A+: this band can do no wrong by me, except with the production, which is solid this time out)
Extol - Blueprint (A-: I really dig it, but the last one was so damn good that this was a bit of a step down, IMO)
Lord Weird Slough Feg - Atavism (A-: another solid release from the band with no bad releases)

I think there's a few more I've heard, but I can't remember them offhand.

Oh yeah, Meshuggah and Primordial are kicking my dick in quite a bit too. In a 3rd and 4th place sort of way.

Yeah, I think so too. De-loused kicks ass by Frances the Mute is just fookin' amazing.

haha, I made JayK listen to it and he said "is this supposed to sound like Santana?!" and I don't think he's bothered with it since. :dopey:

One Inch Man said:
haha, I made JayK listen to it and he said "is this supposed to sound like Santana?!" and I don't think he's bothered with it since. :dopey:

:lol: !

Seriously , there is no reason not to like the new Pelican , it is getting more and more awesome with each listen .. Fucking amazing , I WANT TO SEE THIS BAND LIVE !

EDIT : so excited that it is "Last day of Winter" :p

This new Clutch album is a-rockin'. Much better than Blast Tyrant, and a worthy follow-up to the mighty Elephant Riders.

I've never been impressed enought with the Clutch stuff I've heard in the past to bother picking up one of their albums, but I've heard the new one, and it kicks ass. I'm gonna have to check out some older stuff.

I love Clutch, but I fully admit that a lot of their stuff is hit-or-miss, and I do not enjoy all of it.

The self-titled is a very strong album, and where they came into their own. Elephant Riders is commonly referred to as their best. Pure Rock Fury has some of their best songs, but that's the problem: the songs either kick ass or are forgettable. Blast Tyrant didn't do anything for me.

In short, get the s/t and ELephant RIders if interested in Clutch.

here's a good review of it:

To understand the latest release from Maryland’s Clutch, it’s probably best to go over the band’s fifteen year history, because in the end, Robot Hive/Exodus is the summary of their evolution.

Their initial release – 1993’s Transnational Speedway League: Anthems, Anecdotes & Undeniable Truths– was an aggressive, hardcore tinged affair. What tempered the album’s aggression and gave it a distinct voice over all the other angry bands of the time was Neil Fallon quirky approach to lyrics in both substance and delivery.

The self-titled follow-up was anything but. At first listen, it seemed more like Clutch was determined to discard their fan base, as the distortion and feel of “A Shogun Named Marcus” and “Rats” was replaced with the psychedelic space rock of “Big News” and crowd favorite “Spacegrass.” They took the heaviness of their debut and incorporated expansive jams, giving the playing of Tim Sult (guitar), Dan Maines (bass) and Jean-Paul Gaster (drums) equal footing with Fallon’s vocal dexterity. In the world of stoner rock, Clutch’s self-titled is revered almost as much as Kyuss, Sabbath, and early Monster Magnet.

While none of the subsequent releases received the same adulation as that album, they each showcased an ever-expanding sound. The Elephant Riders was a more focused version and Jam Room was Clutch at their arguably most relaxed. 2002’s Pure Rock Fury brought some of the distortion and force of Transnational back into the fold, although the album as a whole wasn’t as cohesive as previous releases. Slow Hole to China showed that even the rare and unreleased tracks had promise, but it was even more disjointed than Pure Rock Fury. Last year’s Blast Tyrant took aspects of all their releases and brought them together into one solid sound. It had the stoner grooves of the self-titled, the focused song-writing of Elephant Riders, the free-flowing aspects of Jam Room, and the heavier feel of Transnational and Pure Rock Fury.

For Robot Hive/Exodus, the band is in a bit of a holding pattern, but not in the negative sense. After years of touring, their songwriting has been honed down to the quintessential Clutch sound, and that in the end makes Robot Hive/Exodus a continuation of Blast Tyrant. It’s still mid-tempo, bouncy rhythms with impressive drumming and lyrics that are half Dr Seuss and half Zen philosophy. And the piano and Hammond organ that popped up on that 2004 release is more prevalent, thanks to new full time member Mick Schauer. Combined with Tim Sult’s more southern/bluesy playing, it makes the album more relaxed, as if the band was letting go of trying to make a good record and just doing so.

It shows. “The Incomparable Mr. Flannery,” “Mice and Gods,” “10,000 Witnesses,” and “Gravel Road” rank among the Clutch classics from past releases. Along with those are other greats like “10001110101” (only Neil Fallon could pull off a song in binary code) and the low key “Land of Pleasant Living,” which rides a wave of warm Hammond organ. They close the album with an excellent cover of Howlin’ Wolf’s “Who’s Been Talking?” Hard to believe this is coming from the same band that once shouted, “C’mon motherfucker, let’s throw down!”

With 14 tracks total, it’s a given that the album is going to falter at times. But overall Robot Hive/Exodus rocks with an incredible amount of energy. It has all the marks of a perfect album – solid songwriting, excellent production, and genuine passion. It may not be a huge leap forward, but it’s done me no wrong.