So what is everyone using for overheads these days- omni, cardiroid, or supercardioid

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
I'm finally ready to buy a nice matched pair of overheads for drums. I was looking at everything out there, and seems like most people in metal choose cardioid mics. But I see there are some awesome omni's out there that give good results. So if I'm going to be in a room that is very dead and dull anyway, would I be good with the omni? I was planning on using a few room mics anyway, which would make me think that I'd be better off going with a cardioid or super...

What's your opinions?

i usually stick with cardioid on the OH's. mostly because i always track in shitty rooms, and partly because i want a directional sound out of the OH's

room mics, though, can be great in omni...as long as the room doesn't blow ass

i prefer cardioid for metal drums because Im close micing cymbal groups for tight metal drums. for rock/country/ contemporary I prefer to use omni patterns, combined with room mics. sometimes I may even use only one mic with an omni pattern for overhead, then mic the hi hat and ride separately, and pan them and the toms to add some stereo width

I'd stick with cardioids or something with selectable patterns if you got a small room or low-ish ceilings.

Beyerdynamic MC930, AKGC414, Josephson C42s

Also, don't worry too much about getting a matched pair - any modern mics from a reputable brand should be plenty close enough to use in stereo applications. Your EARS aren't a matched pair, and any slight differences (on the off-chance that they're even noticeable) will only give you a wider stereo image.

Beyerdynamic MC930

best mic for that price!
i will get 3 more for spot mics!