What is your usual processing for drum overheads?

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, back with another noob question for the pros

I looked around the forum for a while and i couldn't find a pretty straight forward answer to my question.

I was curious to know what is your usual (or at least most common) way to process drum overheads.

I usually try to get a good sound from the whole kit through them and make an attempt to bring out the cymbals, so then I use the rest of the mics to get my attack. Does that sound correct?

I wanted to know what you guys usually do to process them during production and in post. For the basic 2 overhead set up and maybe also for more complicated set ups, etc.

...and thanks again guys, all the pointers i get from here are greatly appreciated.

....oh yeah, and another question just popped in my head while on the subject of overheads.

Ok, first of, the whole idea of quantized drums is still a mystery to me, I HAVE NEVER made an attempt at recording a live drummer to a click or grid and then, i guess, moving his hits around into place where they would be in the right time signature, etc. I think (being a noob and all) that i get the idea of moving hits around in a grid, seems simple enough for the separate mics of the kit. I guess the challenge would be to know some amount of music theory to be able to figure out odd time signatures, etc...but can anyone tell me. What the hell do you do with the overheads????? I've never tried it to that extent, but my guess is that if you move a snare hit into place, the old hit still in the overheads in the wrong place?..right? Do you process the overheads to only get cymbals?? and even so..how the hell do you quantize the signal from the overheads?? isnt there too much going on??

as usual...please don't bash me, i just wanna have at least a small understanding of that concept

Hey there dude.

I am by no means an expert, but if there's anything I get comments on, it's that my overheads sound great :p

I take a very simple approach to them since I spend a decent amount of time to get the overheads nice and crisp before tracking. \

All that usually goes on my overhead tracks are a pass up to 590hz and a compressor to taste.

The pass to 590 is quite nice for clearing things up, higher or lower depending on what tickles your pickle!

I get rid of pretty much everything below 700hz most of the time. Maybe a light bit of compression 20-30 ms attack, release to taste.

Joe

Hey guys, back with another noob question for the pros

I looked around the forum for a while and i couldn't find a pretty straight forward answer to my question.

I was curious to know what is your usual (or at least most common) way to process drum overheads.

I usually try to get a good sound from the whole kit through them and make an attempt to bring out the cymbals, so then I use the rest of the mics to get my attack. Does that sound correct?

I wanted to know what you guys usually do to process them during production and in post. For the basic 2 overhead set up and maybe also for more complicated set ups, etc.

...and thanks again guys, all the pointers i get from here are greatly appreciated.

....oh yeah, and another question just popped in my head while on the subject of overheads.

Ok, first of, the whole idea of quantized drums is still a mystery to me, I HAVE NEVER made an attempt at recording a live drummer to a click or grid and then, i guess, moving his hits around into place where they would be in the right time signature, etc. I think (being a noob and all) that i get the idea of moving hits around in a grid, seems simple enough for the separate mics of the kit. I guess the challenge would be to know some amount of music theory to be able to figure out odd time signatures, etc...but can anyone tell me. What the hell do you do with the overheads????? I've never tried it to that extent, but my guess is that if you move a snare hit into place, the old hit still in the overheads in the wrong place?..right? Do you process the overheads to only get cymbals?? and even so..how the hell do you quantize the signal from the overheads?? isnt there too much going on??

as usual...please don't bash me, i just wanna have at least a small understanding of that concept

Generally with overheads it's a HPF (setting depends on the style of music and therefore the sound I'm going for) and a little compression. If you've got too much snare in your overheads you can go for a little sidechain limiting, but personally I like alot of snare in my overheads so it's not something I use.

Basically your overhead sound is 99% down to the drums & cymbals, the room, and mic placement. Mic's obviously come into the equation but not nearly as much as the quality of the kit you're recording and the room that you're in.

As far as your quantizing question goes. All drum quantizing should be done as a drum group to keep the phase relationship between the mic's constant. The only possible exception being the kick, as this is often sample replaced 100% and as long as the bleed into the other mic's is very low it shouldn't be noticable.

I don't hi-pass as high as these guys...300/400 is what I like. If the cymbals need to sound a bit more shimmery/brittle then i'll hi-shelf boost by 2dB max from around 8k but only if I need to - boosting the top end on most things is a fix in my book. I'll compress very gently sometimes and I never side-chain the snare - all the air is in the OHs!

EQ depends on the style but lately I'm digging a compressor with a short attack time (2-3ms) and short release (40ms), with a low-ish ratio. It really pumps the snare nicely on fills, and gets rid of the peak.

I don't hi-pass as high as these guys...300/400 is what I like. If the cymbals need to sound a bit more shimmery/brittle then i'll hi-shelf boost by 2dB max from around 8k but only if I need to - boosting the top end on most things is a fix in my book. I'll compress very gently sometimes and I never side-chain the snare - all the air is in the OHs!

agree with Alex.
I like some body in my OHS

Hi-pass depending on what the soloed drums sound like and if there's too much snare in the overheads compress to take some out.

Do you treat your HiHat track like the Overheads? I mean HPF at 500 / 600, little amount of compression, shelf around 8khz etc. ?

Why do guys take so much snare out of the OHs? I don't mean that to sound like a 'that's stupid, my way is the only way' post; I'm genuinely interested in hearing the logic and how it can help in an applicable situation.

I more often than not augment drums with samples rather than brutal 100% triggering but I find that the snare in the OHs helps getting that perfect blend...

I only try to kill off the snare in OHs if the snare doesn't sound good to begin with and I'm having to replace 80% or more, which isn't very often. To do that it's usually a compressor setup with sidechain to duck the snare and/or some multiband compression Generally I want to keep the snare because it adds the "air" and makes it fuller. I HP anywhere from 350 to 550 at the most on OHs, usually 350 or so on HH.

Hmm, just been fucking around with the real drums Morgan C did for the Paramore.
I've got a High Pass Filter set at 600Hz for the overheads.
I'm fairly new to multiband compression and even newer at trying it out on overheads.
Are their are particular reasonable guidelines to follow?
Based on what I seem to be hearing, setting the multiband at about half the frequency of the HPF seems to be working well (but of course being new to this shit, I could be wrong :lol:).
So would I be safe to assume you really don't want the multiband set particularly close to the frequency of the HPF to get an optimal result?

1.HP with v-eq
2.Limiter waves L1 to destroy the snare and toms a little and bringing the cymbals up
3.Very light compression with the v-comp (just for colouring) and some little more vibe...

Picture4.png

usually something like this.

hp at whatever sounds good, hi shelf at around 8k maybe 2 to 4 db, depends on the song. maybe also a narrow cut at 2k or 3k, if it sounds too honky, nasal or present. almost never compression...