So what the fuck, is digital music going to take over completely?

My old S70 has an aftermarket Pioneer with a USB that I would prefer to use my iPod on but currently exclusively keep Death CDs in it.
:kickass: One of my drummers has a Toyota Echo with a giant Death sticker across the rear window. We refer to it as the DEATH. ECHOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo...!!! on a near constant basis.

I honestly have no clue what this means.
320Kbps CBR is the type of MP3 that has the best highest audio quality in the MP3 format. FLAC refers to a digital file with zero loss in fidelity. You can think of FLAC as being 100% identical to a CD, but in a file format. So for instance, while some audiophiles would tell you they can tell the difference between a 320Kbps CBR MP3 and a CD, they would acknowledge there’s zero difference between a FLAC file and a CD.

I dont get the "I dont have room for CDs" (especially coming from vinyl collectors). It's not like these things take up a shitload of space. If you have 1000 of them, by a wall rack and put em up there. the rack sticks out from the wall maybe 5 inches and its a great conversation piece! your family will think you worship satan!
For me, the “room” argument is the least of it. I simply got to the point where all my listening was from MP3s. It got so I’d buy a CD, rip it to MP3 and then never touch the CD again. There are a half dozen more reasons for me, but that’s the primary of it.

Dont get the "convenience" angle either. So if I want x album I have to sift through a dozen blogspots to find a live link, dled it, and put it on a goat damn mp3 gadget. Opposed to hitting up ebay, spending some moolah, taking the wrapper off, and popping it in a stereo. That sounds like a shit ton of work there folks.
Unless you’re looking at a blog spot that’s a year old, dead links aren’t much of an issue. Then again, if what we’re comparing is buying music, blogspots don’t really factor in.

For me, the “room” argument is the least of it. I simply got to the point where all my listening was from MP3s. It got so I’d buy a CD, rip it to MP3 and then never touch the CD again. There are a half dozen more reasons for me, but that’s the primary of it.

Why bother ripping it? CDs are meant to be spun, not stored away on a shelf to sell 20 years down the road when the next Great Depression hits. A handful of albums is more than enough to get one through their day. Unless ye have the attention span of a newt and need to hear individual songs taken from a thousand albums in shuffle mode.

I still buy cds and listen to them at home and in the car. But I burn them and put them on my phone and listen at work. Listening to Strapping Young Lad at work now :)...Listened to Borknagar's URD on cd before bed. Gotta have both. But I refuse to download or pirate. If I want to listen to it. I buy it.

Why bother ripping it? CDs are meant to be spun, not stored away on a shelf to sell 20 years down the road when the next Great Depression hits. A handful of albums is more than enough to get one through their day. Unless ye have the attention span of a newt and need to hear individual songs taken from a thousand albums in shuffle mode.
For starters, my attention span can more accurately be compared to that of a mentally challenged newt. That said, I have over 500 albums on my phone, ripped at 320Kbps CBR. As I noted earlier, I can't hear the difference between that bit rate and CD. So quality is not a concern. And whether I'm at work, the car, the gym, lying in bed or on my deck, I can listen to whatever peeks my newt-like interest at that moment. And once I upgrade to a 128GB SDRAM card, I'll have my entire music collection on my phone.

I can hear the difference between 320 and FLAC but only on high end gear and moreso on well recorded stuff. There are a lot of factors that go into it.
I just don't have those kind of ears or that kind of gear, and I suspect *most* people lack both. For the vast majority of people, I suspect the benefits are mostly mental; being able to hold it in your hands, believing the sound you hear is superior, nostalgia, etc. I also think the average person doesn't put the appropriate weight on how important the gear is. Case in point, the best sounding music I've ever heard was in a Bang & Olufsen store. They were streaming music through Spotify, via an iPad, to a pair of Bang & Olufsen speakers.

I just don't have those kind of ears or that kind of gear, and I suspect *most* people lack both. For the vast majority of people, I suspect the benefits are mostly mental; being able to hold it in your hands, believing the sound you hear is superior, nostalgia, etc. I also think the average person doesn't put the appropriate weight on how important the gear is. Case in point, the best sounding music I've ever heard was in a Bang & Olufsen store. They were streaming music through Spotify, via an iPad, to a pair of Bang & Olufsen speakers.

Yes & No. Great gear will also expose any flaws with the recording and/or file quality. I agree that most lack both, especially the gear. You can train yourself to listen better though. However, even if I was ignorant to all of this like Jerry, I would still have to buy the physical product for the booklet, liner notes, smell, experience, etc... I'd still rip it for backup and load on my iPud as well as put 5-6 cd's on a cd-r to play via mp3 in my car for the sake of convenience as well. Take advantage of the best of both worlds, I say.

I'm the same way with books.

Yes & No. Great gear will also expose any flaws with the recording and/or file quality. I agree that most lack both, especially the gear. You can train yourself to listen better though. However, even if I was ignorant to all of this like Jerry, I would still have to buy the physical product for the booklet, liner notes, smell, experience, etc... I'd still rip it for backup and load on my iPud as well as put 5-6 cd's on a cd-r to play via mp3 in my car for the sake of convenience as well. Take advantage of the best of both worlds, I say.
Although I would prefer to rip them myself, it's not a deal breaker.

Hey my $30 discman can go toe to toe with any audiophile's rig. Anyhow, I only wonder how many albums these downloaders are peeling the layers from and devoting the proper amount of listens to. If I'm dropping $15 shillings on a release, ye better believe I'm listening to it more than a few times to get my money's worth.

Honestly, only time I say "fuck cds" is on a 2cd release. Total mood killer and pain in the arse.