So... who got the new Rhapsody?

Apr 2, 2003
Los Angeles, CA, USA
You'd better believe I had it preordered. I know there's one or two fans around here. And I also know it's kinda my job to start a thread here when they release a new one. :lol:

Symphonically, it doesn't disappoint. The choral arrangements are especially impressive.

I'm a bit distraught about the almost complete lack of speed metal and aggression (although the keyword is ALMOST). Overall, it's cool, but definitely no Symphony of Enchanted Lands, Dawn of Victory, or Power of the Dragonflame.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

It's very generic. Only song that stood out was Old Age of Wonders. And the 'lil fag-Phanto inside me likes it.

But it's a decent album.

I liked it. I would have preferred more guitar-driven songs, but I also like the symphonic arrangements they had. Possibly 7.5/10.

I just got it yesterday for me and my sister. I'm digging it alot. Great production, and some really solid orchestral/choir arrangements. It seems to be lacking stand out songs like Magic of the Wizard's Dream, or Unholy WarCry - but my oppinion on that may change as I get more familiar with the album.
It feels alot more song driven this time. Vocally, they put the singer's voice to great use this time, and there is only one song I'm not digging so much.

A solid album, and very possibly better than their previous release.

Dave

I really like it, as far as Rhapsody goes. It's Rhapsody, It's FUCKING EPIC METAL!!! Not technical symphonic swedish melodic black power metal. So, you can't really expect speed and thrash all the time. I think Heart of the Darklands is my favorite track.

I should dress up as Luca Turrilli for Halloween and carry around my guitar and a sword all day.

I've listened to it a bunch today... it's growing on me, but I'd still like something a little more guitar driven. One or two songs that sound like SOEL 1, Dawn of Victory, or Power of the Dragonflame would have done wonders for the album. Still, I'm liking it. A bit of a letdown after the last one, though.

At first blush I didn't think too much of it. The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me, but it still doesn't come close to their last album, in my opinion. As mentioned earlier, the symphonic and choral elements do not disappoint; I just feel its missing something.

After more listens, I definately enjoy this more than their previous disc. That one had great tracks like "Unholy Warcry" and "Wizard's Dream", but alot of the rest of it felt like filler to me (though Christopher Lee rocks the house.)

This album seems pretty solid all the way through. I don't really mind the lack of speed tracks so much. The melodies make up for them IMO.

Dave :)

Phanto said:
It's very generic. Only song that stood out was Old Age of Wonders. And the 'lil fag-Phanto inside me likes it.

But it's a decent album.
Haha I thought I'd never find someone else who likes that song. It's a guilty pleasure if there ever was one.