So... why all the Panzer love?

I saw IE perform "Travel" when they opened for Megadeth.
That was an amazing but short set.
Thanks for bringing it up so I can miss IE with Barlow even more!!
(Actually, I think Ripper is doing a fine job BTW)

Casting the Stones does VERY little for me...

I felt the same way for over a year after it came out... then, one day, it clobbered me over the head and said, "LIKE ME!!!!!!" And so I did.

I still think their best is Mechanized Warfare, by a long shot. Brilliant songs like "The Silent" and "Choir of Tears" don't come along every day.

I saw IE perform "Travel" when they opened for Megadeth. That was an amazing but short set.

I remember that tour (which I believe was actually shortly after the tour I mentioned) and regretting that it didn't come to an area near me at the time.

Jasonic said:
Thanks for bringing it up so I can miss IE with Barlow even more!!

LOL, no problem. In all seriousness though, I know what you mean.

Jasonic said:
(Actually, I think Ripper is doing a fine job BTW)

100% agreed. It's very cool that you can make that distinction as missing Barlow and still being able to appreciate what Ripper brings to the table are without a doubt mutually exclusive sentiments.

Jason

It seems like there's been a ton of talk about Jag Panzer (and by a ton, I mean the same four people keep talking about them:heh:). Regardless, I never thought of them as being one of the more popular Power Metal bands. Are they from the Chicago area? Is it because they've played the fest before? Just curious.

By the way, I'm curious to know what everyone's favorite Panzer discs are. I only own Casting the Stones and Age of Mastery.

Zod

Mechanized warfare is flat out far and away their best. Casting the Stones seemed to start out with the same enthusiasm but IMO quickly faded after the 2nd song.

Great live band also, saw the show at BWBK and was very impressed.

I remember seeing you guys w/Iced Earth, Panzer, The Quiet Room and someone else (Anvil or something?) in Philadelphia at a shitty tiny bar called Harbor Lights way back in 1998. I remember IE's headlining set had to be cut short due to hip hop night taking place, but they still absolutely slayed in front of about 30 people or so. The only time I ever witnessed Travel in Stygian live w/Barlow. Absolutely amazing. Jag Panzer were just flat out fun, w/Conklin climbing all over the amps (which had more room on top of them than the stage, lol)

Division really impressed me that night as well and I remember buying a copy of "Ascension to Eternity" then and there.

Wow - that was a long time ago! Thanks! Hmm - Cipher was on that show, Anvil bailed like two days beforehand, IIRC, and there were a couple of really early locals.

That was an interesting show - IE was cool that night, but their set getting cut was BS. Harry was killing us backstage telling the story about climbing on the PA speakers - "I'm the King of the World! Oh shit - how's the king gonna get down?!?!?" :lol:

Wow, drinks must have been really cheap.

Kidding!! Mike knows he's my peeps. :)

Apparently, for once we didn't suck - we sold every piece of merch we had that night. I think the kids would've bought our gear if we didn't want ot haul it home. :lol:

Panzer sold all of their shirts - IE actually sold out of everything but, like, medium or something like that (I went to buy a shirt and there weren't any left that would actually fit me.)

Odd, odd night.

I'm anxiously awaiting KaptainKrude's response on this subject...

You're not gonna get the response you're looking for, Mike... Yes, their set when I saw them open for Iced Earth at Smiler Coogan's was beyond hilarious, but I actually dig a few of their albums...

Who cares what he has to say? ;)

Britt

Damn you, Britt... =p

I f**king LOVE Jag F**king Panzer. :headbang: Great band and super nice people, too!!

My three favorite Panzer discs would be Thane to the Throne, Age of Mastery and Mechanized Warfare. I like Casting the Stones, mostly because I can't believe what an amazing guitarist Chris Broderick has become, but I have a hard time getting past the song "Cold." Mark, if you're reading this, I'm sorry. :cry:

~C

When on Earth did this happen?:erk:

:Spin:

Wow...that's going back. It was the Something Wicked... tour...and besides maybe the Nevermore/Arch Enemy (with original singer) tour, easily the best tour ever to come through Smiler's.

I believe it was Iced Earth/Anvil/Jag Panzer/The Quiet Room...killer lineup..except for Anvil...haha.

I also became freinds with TQR's new singer Pete Jewel that night...and it was a huge bummer for me when I found out he killed himself, which was like a year or two ago. :erk: :cry:

RIP Pete

Wow...that's going back. It was the Something Wicked... tour...and besides maybe the Nevermore/Arch Enemy (with original singer) tour, easily the best tour ever to come through Smiler's.

I believe it was Iced Earth/Anvil/Jag Panzer/The Quiet Room...killer lineup..except for Anvil...haha.

I also became freinds with TQR's new singer Pete Jewel that night...and it was a huge bummer for me when I found out he killed himself, which was like a year or two ago. :erk: :cry:

RIP Pete

Yeap, that's the very show I was talking about...
A damn good show, too...

I've only seen Jag Panzer once, it was the Iced Earth/In Flames/JagPanzer show at the Metro. I remember that the lead guitarist was a total shredder, I only have Mechanized Warfare though, but they played a good set IMO. I just never got around to follow them after that.

I've only seen Jag Panzer once, it was the Iced Earth/In Flames/JagPanzer show at the Metro. I remember that the lead guitarist was a total shredder, I only have Mechanized Warfare though, but they played a good set IMO. I just never got around to follow them after that.

That was a great show. That was actually my first exposure to Jag Panzer. I immediately purchased Mechanized Warfare. That is still my fav JP disc.

That was a great show. That was actually my first exposure to Jag Panzer. I immediately purchased Mechanized Warfare. That is still my fav JP disc.

Oh that show was awesome!! I think I only paid $15 for the ticket and I got a night of pure metal! Iced Earth was ON that night, I'm so glad I got to see them before Barlow left. :worship: ->Barlow

Yea, while I do like Ripper fronting IE, nothing will match IE live with Barlow fronting them. His presence alone commanded attention (IE - his height and massive length of hair). That's not even to mention the voice.

That reminds me that I am LONG overdue on picking up the ALIVE IN ATHENS DVD.

The Alive in Athens DVD is a bit of a letdown, most of the audio is exactly from the cd but the footage was from a different night, sometimes you hear Barlow talking and he doesn't even have the mic anywhere near his mouth. Also the camera is on Shaffer like 60% of the time, even during the solos. It really sucks that this is the only "real" live footage that Iced Earth has, and yes I agree I think Barlow is the best voice for Shaffer's music, be it Ripper or even Hansi. But I'd still get the DVD though.

I liked the DVD...while there were some flaws it is noce to have that era on DVD. I cant see how bands screw up thier DVD's with bad footage or not a solid package. When I am getting a DVD by a band. I want a live show...videos...and maybe a history doc or something. Many bands put out lack luster disc. The Nuclear Assault DVD was a HUGE letdown. The show was terrible with a pretty bad choice of songs and the extras were even worse. Therion and Shaman and Blind Guardian have some of the better DVD's out there at the moment.