So why the Krank?

Sep 16, 2004
www.whereshewept.com
Aw, my Mesa lovin' heart was broken to lose a fellow mesa user. i was just curious because The various clips floating around the 'net haven't impressed me. I wanna get my hands on an Engl Powerball and(or) a Madison Divinity though.

Why Krank ???

Cause it KRaNKS !!!!

Seriously the thing is a tone monster, its got that modded marshall vibe to it lik the 5150 just a different flavor.

Personally im tired of the Boogie sound, its been on every album recorded in the past 12 years pretty much, Im really diggin the 5150's and the Kranks right now.

Guru should use his magic powers to get us a deal with Krank so me and Will can have sweet new Krankenstein amps.

While I like the krankenstein...I like my 5150 better. I have found the less presence you run on the Krank the better it sounds.....but of course that was with the Dimebag cab. I have heard they sound better through a V30 Mesa cab (like almost everything else):lol:

Can't say I'm a fan of the sound.

Powerball is good.
Rectifier is good, but as said, over-used.

It's very hard to go anywhere unique with tone these days. It seems rack rigs or local/custom amp makers are the go.

Death_Work said:
I like both. It's hard to get a fresh sound, but I think the haunted got a pretty fresh sound out of their 5150 on revolver album.

You are right, but they are all also probably the only band I can think up that tunes as high as Eb using a 5150 (in metal)

The Nuge doesn't count:lol:

I'm pretty sure rEVOLVEr Is in D. like, 95% sure. I was transcribing All agianst all and a bit of Who Will Decide and it was in D. I do admire the tone they got on that CD, almost annoying sound but it's different and pretty cool. Hurts your ears if you listen for more then an hour though. Something about those nasty highs. I tried to get the tone from my 6505+ and came pretty close. I needed more bass and fizz in the highs. However I was using an i5 and they may have used a 57 or something. Who knows...

revolver is in D, definitely. it's a pretty cool sound, that's for sure. they got it by running the 5150II lead channel into the hi input of a 5150I head, using the slave out option on the 5150II. pretty insane setup, but it sure worked for them.

as for the 5150, i think it's GREAT. it's my favorite amp right now, and i have owned (and still own) countless great amps (no boutique stuff though). i also love my framus cobra, but honestly the voicings can't be compared it's apples and oranges really.
i have never played a krank, though, and i've only heared it once (god forbid were using krankensteins when they opened for the haunted). their sound was OK, nothing stellar but not bad either. but then again, the clips andy sneap posted sound amazing, and apparently the revolution sounds pretty damn close to gary holt's modded marshall jcm800, which is *the* amp for thrash metal imho.

i saw god forbid open for arch enemy/chimaira, their tone on album sounds good but live, sounds pretty bad, it was kind of hard to see, but it looked like Dallas' settings on the amp were all on 0, and then he had a shit load of rack gear, but arch enemy's tone was awesome, and even though micheal amott endorses the revolutions, he was using a krankenstein, and same with the other guitarist

that's interesting. when i saw god forbid they both had the krankenstein heads boosted with an ibanez ts9 for leads, and that's it. very small stage, so there surely was no room for hidden gear whatsoever :lol:
while i don't care for them musically, they sounded better than god dethroned who were using dual rectifer/5150 amps.

i still wish i could afford a Krank Cabinet and Head..though its nearly $3600 for the cabinet and head on the musicians friend, though since i am paying rent and bills, i won't be able to afford one :(

Fragle said:
that's interesting. when i saw god forbid they both had the krankenstein heads boosted with an ibanez ts9 for leads, and that's it. very small stage, so there surely was no room for hidden gear whatsoever :lol:
while i don't care for them musically, they sounded better than god dethroned who were using dual rectifer/5150 amps.

they might have changed gear, or maybe they were just trying something new, but an overdrive (ts9) is seriously all you need with a krankenstein for me, cause it seems to add more warmth to the amp