Higain Amp Recommendations for live/studio??

cyborg

Jetpack Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2006
Vancouver, Canada
I've been trying to decide on an amp/rig for live and recording use. The trouble is, there's SO much out there that it's hard make decisions, especially when it's not possible to hear everything in person...

I've tried a number of amps out and I have not really been impressed by any of them as of yet. I found that the mesa single recto, F series, dual rectos, soldano (SLO and others), haven't been too pleasing to my ears and definitely haven't gotten close to the sound I'm after. Mesa Triaxis/2:90 was definitely a step above but I still couldn't tweak it to sound just right to me. I find that most tube amps I listen too are too thin/fizzy/buzzy. So far the mesa/boogie stilleto ace is the amp that has sounded best to me (in room).

Something with 3 channels and suitable for dropped tunings (I play 7 strings normally in Eb) would be ideal. I use Dimarzio X2N-7 pickups, although I think there's a good chance I'll end up switching to lower output pickups and an OD pedal depending on the amp...

The ability to do a raw/grainy rhythm sound (think newer opeth) as well as higain screaming leads (think nevermore) would be important. I would be using the amp with an overside/traditional recto cab with V30s (only way to go cab-wise IMO).

At the moment I'm considering a Peavey JSX, Engl Powerball (possibly fireball despite only having 2 channels), and Mesa Triple Rec. Also possibly a 6505+...

Any suggestions/input? I'm probably going to end up buying something without hearing it first, as I don't have local dealers for quite a few brands, so getting the opinions of others is the best I can do before shelling out the dough :lol:

Thanks!

well if you don't like the slo you won't like a 5150/6505....if you don't like single recto you probably won't like a triple....that should narrow it down

ENGL Savage, :headbang: or as someone else suggested, the SE. The SE is like a Savage only with MIDI. I think you can store like 128 presets or something. But unfortunately it's expensive.

I think the best thing to use live would be a PODxt Live though. You can carry it, it has presets, it has effects it's cheap, but unfortunately it sounds crap. However I don't think anyone else will notice that but you. :p

well if you don't like the slo you won't like a 5150/6505....if you don't like single recto you probably won't like a triple....that should narrow it down

i know they've been compared a lot, and are designed similar, but i don't find the 5150 and slo to sound anything alike

i agree with you on the rectos tho...there are some little differences in how they sound, but if you hate one you're probably gonna hate the others

I haven't heard those pickups (X2N) but I think your search for tone starts there. I don't like the blade pickup design from my experience with the Dimebucker and an older version of the Dean EVO Noir that had blade pups.

I'm no Opeth expert and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think a big portion of Opeth's rhythm guitar tone is PRS (the 22's have Dragons and the 24's have HFS) which are pretty low output.

I'd suggest getting an HFS or Dragon pup to put in the bridge and then try the Mesa and Soldanos again.

i know they've been compared a lot, and are designed similar, but i don't find the 5150 and slo to sound anything alike

I have both and they are quite similar....similar enough that if someone didn't like one they probably wouldn't like the other. With the depth mod of course and a switch between two resister values in the cathode of v2 that gives it a bit more edge like a 5150. Without that they are somewhat different yes. But even without the mods I think that most people who don't like one wouldn't like the other. Just my thoughts.

also I didn't notice the pickup you said you are using...I would try something else.

I haven't heard those pickups (X2N) but I think your search for tone starts there. I don't like the blade pickup design from my experience with the Dimebucker and an older version of the Dean EVO Noir that had blade pups.

I'm no Opeth expert and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think a big portion of Opeth's rhythm guitar tone is PRS (the 22's have Dragons and the 24's have HFS) which are pretty low output.

I'd suggest getting an HFS or Dragon pup to put in the bridge and then try the Mesa and Soldanos again.

Mike runs Duncan Full Shred sets in his 2 main axes, Peter had some kind of Duncan bridge and Duncan Demon neck in 2 of his.

google 'opeth pickups'... don't know how accurate it is.

This topic has been debated numerous times, even on this forum... :lol:

The "official" answer is:
Mikael's Blue PRS: Seymour Duncan Full Shred(Bridge & Neck)
All of Mike's other PRS models have stock PRS pickups, or have not been revealed by him.
Peter's PRS models all have stock PRS pickups.
Peter's White Jackson Randy Rhoads: EMG 81(bridge) and EMG 85(neck)

I'm not quite sure if they use Seymour Duncan Jazz pickups in the neck of their PRS guitars, but this may be the case for a a few of their guitars.

They also use Gibson SGs and Fender Strats for recording...

Something with 3 channels and suitable for dropped tunings (I play 7 strings normally in Eb) would be ideal. I use Dimarzio X2N-7 pickups, although I think there's a good chance I'll end up switching to lower output pickups and an OD pedal depending on the amp...

The ability to do a raw/grainy rhythm sound (think newer opeth) as well as higain screaming leads (think nevermore) would be important. I would be using the amp with an overside/traditional recto cab with V30s (only way to go cab-wise IMO).

Well, you obviously crave for some more gain... At least by saying you'll ditch X2N's and get lower output pickups and an OD. ;)
Opeth have a relatively low amount of gain present, which makes their sound so clear and articulate. AFAIK they use Laney amps, but I'm not sure if Laney makes 3 channel heads.

Maybe you could give Engl Ritchie Blackmore a try. It's supposedly modelled after a Savage head, can switch 4 channels with a custom FS and seems quite versatile... And yes, it has lotsa gain, despite the name so don't worry. ;)
Check out the clips at www.rocksolidamps.com , maybe they can give you at least some insight in ENGL and Framus hi-gain sounds.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback thus far!

That said, I'm not looking for an identical tone to Opeth, just in a similar realm. Most likely I'd be using slightly more gain as they seem to use very little (compared to a lot of metal).

I might give the rectos another chance. It's possible that I just didn't take the time and effort to tweak them enough...

Any thoughts on how a Peavey JSX would stack up?? I don't think I've heard/read anything bad about these amps.