So why the Krank?

I've been curious about them cuz it looked like it was overnight and almost ever major metal band started using them. i mean how do you dominate a genre so quick? either you got an assload of money to by people or they are the greatest gift to rock & roll. I saw nevermore live and didn't care for Jeff's tone. I've seen him play thru a POD, XXX, and Krank, and the Krank was the most unintresting IMO. Heard that new clip of shadows fall and didn't care for that either. Killswitch sounds good, and there's clips online of Nevermore where Jeff's using a powerball and it sounder way better than when i saw him with the krank. and it was a cam bootleg too. i just wanted to know why so many people suddenly play a krank, maybe they give free Bj's with every endorsement?:lol:

I remember seeing them in the tiny ad pages in Guitar World advertising themselves as being the go-to guys for different colored amplifiers and occasionally in an ad with some guy Josh Rand who looked like a total doofus three feet in the air with his tongue out (more like he was curling up into a fetal ball in the spaceship than jumping around to be cool), and then for a while I heard nothing about them until another GW had a clip of Dime at the Krank factory. I'm not much for Dime's tone, and didn't pay more attention than I did before, but eventually I saw a whole page ad for Krank with pictures of everyone from AE to Nevermore to Soilwork to Andy from King Diamond... somewhat confused, needless to say. I want to spend some serious time with them at Sam Ash, but at my volumes I don't think Sam Ash will; if anyone else knows of a good store near San Antonio that will let me shatter their windows let me know.

Jeff

Noumenon said:
dude, just take a listen to any darkane album, the engl rocks :p

but my take on the 5150 is that I've never been able to get a decent sound out from it.

While you may never have gotten a good sound out of a 5150, many others have gotten phenomenal tones from it. You are either playing shit 5150's, or playing them through shit cabs, or you aren't haven't messed with it enough to get a good sound out of it. It took me like... 6 months to figure out how to get a phenomenal sound out of my XXX - maybe about 4 months with the 5150 (needs new tubes :(). Also, every amp, while the same, tends to be just a little bit different - so yeah you definitely need to mess around with it.

guitarguru777 said:
Why Krank ???

Cause it KRaNKS !!!!

Seriously the thing is a tone monster, its got that modded marshall vibe to it lik the 5150 just a different flavor.

Personally im tired of the Boogie sound, its been on every album recorded in the past 12 years pretty much, Im really diggin the 5150's and the Kranks right now.

Same, man.

I LOVE the 5150's and 6505+'s aswell as other hot but not as expensive amps, such as Marshalls, ENGL, etc... They're killer :)