Consolidated 'STENCH' Album Status Thread

God, that video gives me a "upcoming album" hard-on the likes of which have barely ever been seen. :OMG:

Nicky and I are going to lock ourselves in the studio in Berkeley tomorrow afternoon and Thursday night to record the last of the vocals (clean vocals and some extra growls we missed on the previous session).
There are two & a half songs that need bass recorded. (Most likely done by next week)
There are two songs that need serious keyboard writing work and 5 songs that need finishing touches and reamping. (Most likely done by the end of February, maybe earlier)
We need to finish up electronica and sampling as well, but those sections are like 90% done. (Couple of days work maximum)
After vocal sessions are done we can finalize the album art, which is currently done, but not fully put together/layed out.

After our side of things is done, Zack Ohren is going to reamp guitars and mix the album. Due to the fact that we are like 10 months behind schedule with him, we don't know how much time he can dedicate to us right now... He usually takes just a few days to mix, but we have an extremely large project (looking like over 65 minutes and about 100 tracks total) so I'm estimating that it will take him a month working in his spare time. After that, we have to press the album, which should take two-four weeks.

That is where we stand.
-Tim

Sounds like alot too do :/
Hang in there bro, make it epic!

So it'll probably be done round 'summertime?

Except we could probably come out with our album in the state it is in right now and you guys would probably like it, but would wonder why some of the songs are significantly more orchestrated than others ;)

We're finishing up and going for consistency, not rewriting our product every two months like the DNF team did.
-Tim

If pre-production means, not squazed to death after the mastering stage, you couldn't make me anymore happier! :worship:

Ah yes I suppose I should explain pre-production... Here's how we are making "Stench":

1. We write a song, using PowerTab, GuitarPro, or the Logic sequencer to get our ideas down in MIDI form. (October 2006 - December 2009)
2. We sequence the drums in a rough manner to approximate what we want for the songs. (October 2006 - December 2009)
3. We record guitars at home using a Line 6 POD to model amp/cab setups. (October 2006 - December 2009)
4. We record rough vocals and rough keys at home. (October 2006 - December 2009)
5. I mix the result. This is pre-production. (Goblin Island was released without any of the following steps) (October 2006 - December 2009)
6. We went into the studio with Zack Ohren to track Eddie's (real) drums and Alex's and my rhythm guitars. (December 2009)
7. We record the rest of the guitar parts (clean) so that Zack can reamp them for the final mix. (January 2009 - February 2010)
8. Austin tracks bass (clean) so that Zack can reamp it for the final mix. (September 2009 - ?)
9. Anthony and Nicky record MIDI keyboard parts, then we reamp them through real synths. (August 2009 - ?)
10. Nicky writes and sequences the electronica parts. (January 2007 - ?)
11. We record growled vocals and group shouts (August 2009)
12. We record clean vocal parts and a few more growls (February 2010)
TO DO:
13. We record skits/miscellaneous noises.
14. We send finished tracks to Zack for reamping, mixing, and mastering.

As you can see, the pre-production mixes are just rough versions of the songs. They are missing a lot of keyboard parts and some vocal parts. They are sometimes structurally different than the songs on the album. But they are kind of fun to listen to...

Basically, imagine songs that are recorded with the same quality/production as Goblin Island, but they're sort of unfinished. That's what the preproduction stuff is like.

-Tim

Ah yes I suppose I should explain pre-production... Here's how we are making "Stench":

[...]

Basically, imagine songs that are recorded with the same quality/production as Goblin Island, but they're sort of unfinished. That's what the preproduction stuff is like.

-Tim
I see, I'm sure everyone would like to hear it, it gives a nice impression, but it still makes everyone long to the final version!

Put them up already! :headbang:

Album status: February 12th, 2010.

Guitars and bass are done. Everyone's going through the songs making sure everything is good and sometime this week, we send off to Zack for reamping and mixing.
Vocal edits are almost finished, we have a few more clean parts to deal with and we're done.
Keyboards still need a couple of parts here and there and serious work for RTTS, The Plague, and Goblin Box.
Electronica parts and album art are like 95% done.

Getting verrrry close.....