Soda Popinski

Yeah, this shit is stupid. Like seatbelt laws. And gambling laws. And smoking bans. And fast food regulations. People know the risks; the only ones they hurt are themselves. Let 'em do it! :mad:

The next person who gives me shit about my smoking gets a free tracheotomy, courtesy of my fist.

Thank you! Shit like this pisses me off like you can not believe. Country of the free... Except if you do one of the following 100k things that harm no one but your own body well take away all your rights and lock you in a prison. Fuck off.

I laughed when NYC banned big soda.

I guess it was overturned though.

Personally I find dietary laws hilarious.

They only strengthen the addiction.

Seatbelt laws protect us from our own stupidity.

Personally I'd rather weed out the weak.

Too stupid to live? Get on with it then.

Yeah, this shit is stupid. Like seatbelt laws. And gambling laws. And smoking bans. And fast food regulations. People know the risks; the only ones they hurt are themselves. Let 'em do it! :mad:

The next person who gives me shit about my smoking gets a free tracheotomy, courtesy of my fist.

You got health insurance?

so the state will pay for your diabetes and heart disease treatment when you decide to down a gallon of soda a day then, thats good to know

But yes, if I did, I WOULD make the state pay for it. Suckers

so like how many layers of meta-ironic irony do i have to penetrate here to make you realize that "the only ones they hurt are themselves" is utter bullshit

So THAT'S your point? You could have expressed yourself more clearly.

People get sick/hurt for a variety of reasons--whether caused by their own negligence or an act of god. Either way, I don't think limiting peoples' self-destructive behavior is going to amount for shit. In fact, like NAD said, it will probably exacerbate those habits.

Are you saying that, if less people were obese/sick, there would be "more money to go around for everyone else"? Please. You're clearly not familiar with the American healthcare system. If everyone lived PERFECT lifestyles in PERFECT health like I assume from your posts that you do then, yeah, sure, it might make a difference w/r/t our premiums. But we all know it doesn't work like that.

You could have expressed yourself more clearly.
you know that's not how i roll

Are you saying that, if less people were obese/sick, there would be "more money to go around for everyone else"?
well i am aware that it's not that simple but it's also not as simple as saying that hurf durf i can do what i want with my own life because i live in a vacuum and my actions have no bearing on anyone else

someone, somewhere's paying -- not necessarily in money -- for you* being a soda-gulping fat waste of space, get your shit straight or the state will be in the right to attempt to straighten your shit for you imo

* not literally you

With the government now getting involved and covering everyone, i think we're going to see a lot more laws and attempted laws like this one under the guise of keeping healthcare costs down.

"Universal coverage" and freedom of choice will be at odds with each other to these do gooder safety nazis

With the government now getting involved and covering everyone, i think we're going to see a lot more laws and attempted laws like this one under the guise of keeping healthcare costs down.

I dunno. Do they do this in COMMUNIST EUROPE? Erik?

well i am aware that it's not that simple but it's also not as simple as saying that hurf durf i can do what i want with my own life because i live in a vacuum and my actions have no bearing on anyone else

You've met other people, I assume

I dunno. Do they do this in COMMUNIST EUROPE? Erik?

i don't really pay attention to the details, but the system pretty much works

that said we're not taxing or prohibiting soda but i personally would be in favour of doing so