Soft Machine - Where do I start?

johan68

Apr 3, 2008
Clearwater, FL, U.S.A
Sadly enough I am a total novice when it comes to this band. However, after listening to the clip from the new dvd I really want to know and learn more.

Where do I start? Catalogue seems rather large (and that is a good thing :)).

My suggestion would be to start with their first album and work forward. The band has moved through many different personnel and their jazz-infused rock has similarly evolved in diverse and amazing ways over the last 40 plus years.

However, and of course, if you were to buy everything, you would have one hell of an expense!! :erk: Regretfully, I am not the one to pick out specific albums for you. I really think that is a journey of musical exploration you must go and enjoy doing for yourself.

Best of luck!!

Paul

Lots of classics so you can pretty much dive in anywhere although there are different periods. If you enjoyed the video clip you might want to start off with Soft Machine 4 or 5. Soft Machine - Third is a classic but the sound quality has always been lacking. The more fusion oriented Bundles (with Mr. Holdsworth) will be in stock in about 10 days.

Thank you both. Seems I have an exciting buying experience in front of me...

By the way. I don't think there has been such an abundance of music I want to get in several years. With all the great "new" stuff coming out (both in metal & prog), together with all the amazing re-masters appearing, it is quite a treat.

I also heard rumors that someone have found hundreds of live recordings of sixties and seventies bands in the basement of old DDR's public radio. None before heard in the west. If this is true....

Its slowly coming out. I saw a list of some jazz sessions that can potentially see the light of day on DVD. The names were staggering. Fingers crossed.