Software, Burning CD master ?

blueswede

Sep 29, 2005
Sweden
Hello !

I wonder if anyone of you can give me an advise on software that are used to arrange trackorder, fades, gaps and burn the final CD master, Redbook compatible. What software do the professinal masteringstudios use ? My DAW is PC based.

Hello !

I wonder if anyone of you can give me an advise on software that are used to arrange trackorder, fades, gaps and burn the final CD master, Redbook compatible. What software do the professinal masteringstudios use ? My DAW is PC based.
Sony CD Architect. Really nice visual layout where you can see all the wave forms, and setting the track splits is just as easy as setting markers. The thing I like is that it gives you both track start and end markers - so can purposely put an end marker anywhere before the next tracks start maker and it will create the negative time space on the CD. Really cool for hiding bits of music here or there. It also has a Redbook check to make sure the CD is compliant.

I usually just make my image in there and then mass burn it with Nero or something.

Hello !

I sometimes use Jam for this (Mac). Apparently there's another good one called DiscWelder but I haven't tried it.

I hear some pro guys use Pyramix.

I have Discwelder and CD architect...I've never been able to get discwelder to work correctly for some reason (it was a free trial version I got). Cd Architect does some cool stuff, but I have had some masters come out with "skips"...it sounds like what a CD does when it's scratched (even though the master disc is perfectly clean). I attributed it to computer problems, but I haven't used it in a while, so who knows.

Peak Pro... have WaveBurner as well but just find that Peak Pro handles everything just fine and the interface is less cluttered, more streamlined.

Do you guys commonly do all your mastering processing within these applications, or within your primary DAW? I'm talking about limiting, equalisation etc. I might look into CD architect for arranging tracks, fades, silences etc. but it seems that it's a bit limited in regards to processing. They talk about 20 directx effects for mastering, but no VST support?

Do you guys commonly do all your mastering processing within these applications, or within your primary DAW? I'm talking about limiting, equalisation etc. I might look into CD architect for arranging tracks, fades, silences etc. but it seems that it's a bit limited in regards to processing. They talk about 20 directx effects for mastering, but no VST support?

I used to do it in wavelab (before I switched to OS X). now I'm just doing it in the DAW.

i use no plug ins at all during the compling stage. it's all done with by the time i'm burning the Red Book compliant discs.

No, all my fades are done before I get to burning the CD. I use Peak for that. By this time my tracks are all 16-bit and dithered so no additional fades are welcome.

the only processing I'm doing in the compiling stage is (if at all) readjusting a fade, but even that is rare, usually I'm just setting the gaps and burn the master with ISRC etc, everything else is done in Cubase

Hey James, would you happen to know if Peak Pro LE is worthwhile? The full version is around $500 or so if I'm remembering correctly, but all I would be using it for is compiling songs and burning the disc, so it seems like the LE version would suit me just fine...

i think you mean Peak LE vs. Peak Pro..... to be honest i haven't used LE since V1.5 in the late 90's, and we are up to 6 now... so i don't really know man, sorry.

i think you mean Peak LE vs. Peak Pro..... to be honest i haven't used LE since V1.5 in the late 90's, and we are up to 6 now... so i don't really know man, sorry.

You're correct, Peak LE...

I've just seen it advertised a lot in recent time, like it's something they want you to pay attention to...but of course by that token, it could still suck!