Soilwork

It is their best since, well, Figure Number Five...Stabbing The Drama was total shit, and this new one is great stuff. But, of course, it's another step towards a poppier sound (which, hey...I like!!). Some big metal parts are present, notably in Dirk's FUCKING BRUTAL drum performance...

I'm not sure if I can get into the new one. I'll give it a few more tries but it sure is damn poppy. For the record, Stabbing the Drama was a great album.

Yeah, it took me a few. Figure Number Five is one of my favorite albums ever, though, so you can tell I really like newer Soilwork (except STD, I hated it for the most part) :p

Predators Portrait is their best.
I could jam that one all the way through.
Can't remember precisely but isn't that the album that Devin Townsend produced?

Yeah NBC...only the vocals on the new one were produced by Devin, it should be noted. However, it's pretty obvious he pushed Speed considering in the thanks section (I was checking the booklet of the promo copy at the station I intern for today), Speed thanks Devin and also says something like "[thanks] for making me blow my lungs out" or some such. The new one has a few amazing high vocal parts Speed just NAILS...awesome.

I lost interest in them after Natural Born Chaos. Figure Number Five just didn't do it for me and what little I've heard from Stabbing the Drama sounded terrible (the album title also pretty much makes me cringe).

I still think A Predator's Portrait is the perfect mix between their older more raw side and the more polished direction they went in after that. I'll give the new one a spin sometime just to see what it's like I guess, but I'm not getting my hopes up for it.

That it is, but there are a few less than stellar songs (Structure Divine is merely "good"/standard, and the title track should have been in the middle of the album). The track placement is a little weird too, I think Needlefeast should've been the opener (way more high energy and catchy than Bastard Chain, though Bastard Chain is probably the better song due in no small part to that AWESOME solo...). That album is insanely helped by the inclusion of a reworked Shadowchild, also. Great song, and even greater re-tooled for APP!

I discovered the band at the time when The Chainheart Machine was released; that's a damn great thrash album. Then I didn't like APP because of a too sudden change in their sound. I mean, the change was not managed in a proper way to me, there were too many new elements in their sound which couldn't merge in a proper manner...
I started to like them again when I listened to NBC (the above problem was solved in the meanwhile) and, with FNF I think they made a kick-ass record. I've just started to listen to Stabbing the Drama in these days.