Soilwork

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Yay I'm the first person to post on this forum! :)

Has anyone got the latest Soilwork album? A mate of mine said it's crap, but I don't trust his opinion, so would like to hear others......

Never heard of them :eek: Are they any good, from what you've heard before? (I'm guessing they have some previous released:))

Yeah I have their first two albums, which are great. They're melodic Swedish death metal, like At The Gates, if you know them......

The new soilwork is crap. He tries sing clean a lot (and supposedly mr. akerfeldt did to, he should stayed home) and they don't work very well. They slowed down too. I'm not a huge fan of this band, but Chainheart machine was an awesome release. Super fast melodic death metal. The first one is good too, but I wouldn't bother with the newest. its water down garbage. you should check out terror 2000, its the singer and drummer from soilwork and the guitarists from darkane, amazingly fast intense screamin thrash metal. good stuff...

patrick
np: ulver themes from william blake's marriage of heaven and hell

Hmmm I've had mixed reviews of this album, online and in real life. Guess I'll just have to listen before I buy.

Terror 2000, do they have an album out?

The clean singing isn't bad at all. It is not as annoying as when Anders of In Flames does it.

But then again I haven't heard the older Soilwork material to compare but hopefully I will soon.

Originally posted by Rodrigo
The clean singing isn't bad at all. It is not as annoying as when Anders of In Flames does it.

But then again I haven't heard the older Soilwork material to compare but hopefully I will soon.

True, Anders should not sing, I dont' even think he should growl. His vocals were really weak on the last in flames album.

I don't know what it is that bugs me so much about the clean singing on the new soilwork, I don't think it fits. Its good they are trying new things and stuff, each band can do what they want, I just don't find them interesting any more. If you haven't heard their old stuff, you NEED to get The Chainheart Machine. Its awesome. That was my introduction to the band, and probaly why I don't like the new one. I thought they were gonna keep speeding up, but they slowed down. They aren't a fantastic band, but they were good at playing super fast melodic riffs in a realy energetic and clean way. Dowload spirits of the future sun, the title track, or million flame.

patrick

Originally posted by The Wanderer:

True, Anders should not sing, I dont' even think he should growl. His vocals were really weak on the last in flames album.

I don't know what it is that bugs me so much about the clean singing on the new soilwork, I don't think it fits. Its good they are trying new things and stuff, each band can do what they want, I just don't find them interesting any more. If you haven't heard their old stuff, you NEED to get The Chainheart Machine. Its awesome. That was my introduction to the band, and probaly why I don't like the new one. I thought they were gonna keep speeding up, but they slowed down. They aren't a fantastic band, but they were good at playing super fast melodic riffs in a realy energetic and clean way. Dowload spirits of the future sun, the title track, or million flame.

patrick

Yes, the vocals of Anders in the last album were really weak but the music is getting simplistic as well.

I will look into the Soilwork album and the songs you mentioned.

I highly disagree about Speed's clean vox...they are pretty good and add another dimension to the sound. If Soilwork had made a Chainheart Machine Part 2, it would have been disappointing because there is no way they could have topped that. Unfortunately, the best clean vocals in the album are on the Japanese bonus track, "Asylum Dance".

I like Soilworks first two albums Steelbath Suicide, and The Chainheart Machine. But A Predators portrait really didn't do anything for me, clear vocals don't sound right to me, takes away from the songs.

Anders is a terrible vocalist, and his clean singing is so bad and so forced. have seen them live? he's even worse live. his clean singing is so out of key it makes me cringe. i like in flames, but i thought clayman was a commercialized piece of shit. they simplified their songs, his vocals got really bad, the cool leads are few and far between. if you listen to his vocals on clayman on headphones you can hear how weak they are. he's just kinda rasping. I never thought he was a good vocalist, but i like his performance on whoracle and jester race the best. I've lost most of my interest in in flames lately.

best vocalist in what style? Akerfeldt is up there for any style. stanne is good too, but i've lost interest in his band too. Ihsahn from emperor. ICS vortex (now dimmu borgir, used to be borknagar and arcturus). Shagrath from Dimmu is awesome. Galder from old man's child has a kick ass voice. it sucks that all these great musicians are in dimmu borgir. i like dimmu borgir, but i'd rather hear simen in borknagar and hear galder keep doing OMC, although the last OMC record was pretty lame. Benton has a kick ass death voice, especially on the first few deicide albums. Garm's is one of the better voices around too.

think is a good album, but love very more surely the precedents work!!!!!
' steel bath suicide' is great!

the latest soilwork album is amazing. It has clean vocals and technical guitar playing. It is one of those albums u need in u'r record collection