Soldier of Fortune News

Mr Samsara

Misanthropic Moderator
Jul 9, 2004
Carrying a Burden Inside
From Opeth.com

"Soldier of fortune", the Deep Purple cover recorded at the BBC and set up as a bonus track for the upcoming special edition of "Ghost reveries" will be re-recorded at the famed Atlantis studios in Stockholm. This is due to unforseen legal problems with the BBC in the UK. Therefore the BBC recording won't be available other than through downloads.

I think this is fantastic news personally. Great song, great cover, now with special attention to detail in an official studio recording. :headbang:

Anyone ever seen Purple's last ever gig where Blackmoore doesn't appear until halfway through "Highway Star" and pisses off immediatly after the solo.

It's hilarious because they're so pissed off at him and you can tell.

Hmm, it's hard to say. They're both great and very different. I like em both. I do probably prefer Cov though. :)

Gillan's Inn is a good album though, it features Janick Gers only ever good guitar solo!

It's a really similar arguement to the Sabbath saga, people claim Ozzy was better that Dio, personally I always think people are neglecting the actaul comparative ability and talent. Dio's clearly the better singer but people go with Ozzy because he was there first. I prefer Sabbath with Dio, and Ozzy solo.

I think people claim Gillan was better just because he was there first, unless you're pedantic and claim that it's Rod Evans who was there first.

I prefer Purple with Coverdale, simply because there are less shitty keyboard solos.
As for the Sabbath thing - Dio is a great singer, but the albums with Ozzy are the real Sabbath IMO. As much as I love "Heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules" they dont really seem like true Sabbath albums to me - they're just great metal albums.

That's the thing even with what I said before, I agree I'd still rather see Sabbath fronted by Ozzy, plainly because it's classic Sabbath.

It's really strange because I know Dio is the better singer, that from a purely astethic point of view I'd rather see Ozzy.

Opeth covered Soldier of Fortune, then Blackmore's Night did it, then Opeth covered Blackmore's Night and Blackmore's Night covered Opeth, and then they both wrote original song tributes to each other... honestly it was very cool. Can you imagine a celtic version of an opeth song? Really - An Opeth cover done by Blackmore's Night would be awesome, especially if it was something from Morningrise.

-Will