Solens Rotter Drum Programming questions

ErikSL

groove junkie
Feb 11, 2006
With each listen I respect more and more what Mr. V has done on this album as far as the drum programming goes. At first I didn't know what to think about it, as I am not a big fan of programmed drums. So after replaying the album over and over again, I have come to the conclusion that these drums are incredibly fresh, convincing, and well done. So I have a few questions for Mr. V

How long did it take you to program each track separately? Seriously these drum tracks are quite complex, it must have been a challenge.

Where did you pull samples from(any particular software or units?)

Thats all really, and I want to add that when you compare the drums on this album to past "programmed" albums...the leap is quite vast. Really really good programming. :headbang:

are you sure solens rotter drums are programmed? don't think so. There hasn't been any drum programming since cosmic genesis

i may be wrong since i still dont have the album :)

This should clear everything up I think:

The drums on Solens Rötter are 100% programmed. We simply ran out of time to have Benny behind the drums, and mr V had allready programmed drums in the pre-prod stage.. so, there ends all speculations regarding this =)

Also, i'd like to apologize on the behalf of mr V and myself for the lack of updates and news on the V-site and here on the forum.. There's just been too much going on for both of us these last months in all kinds of areas.. Hopefully that will change for the better soon.

Thanks for that! We had the intention to let Benny do record drums but as Mattias said the timing was not perfect. Still we're satisfied how things turned out and that's whats counts for us.

Sorry for my long silence here, but I've been very occupied completing the Waterclime album, working on Cronian and have been totally buried in my stdies.

mr V

All the programmings have an intention..of course cymbals and kick are essential togheter but I also like to use different methods to reach a crescendo for example...or to let cymbals mark specific keyboards noted while kick and snare match the guitars..everything has a purpose. For me it's all about making adventurous music.

mr V

...more correctly...or to let cymbals mark specific keyboard nots while kick and snare match the guitars..everything has a purpose. For me it's all about making adventurous music.

I feel that hihat and snare are the two essential pieces that also is most sensitive when it comes to programming. Of course all the other stuff is very important too, but snare rolls is much more sensitive than everything else..Ever heard the machine gun-effect on badly programmed stuff?hehehehe

I try to think as a drummer and never do impossible acts, a drummer often opens and closes the hihat while playing and hits it very differently when it comes to velocity and where the hit is places on the metal.

mr V

I use Steinberg's Cubase.

mr V

I still don't even have it, I almost picked it up in the Metal Market in BOA, but I had JUST bought 10 new albums before I even found it and I had no more money left. I had checked the "V" section and it wasn't there, but instead it up on a shelf right infront of my fucking face. :(

thanks vampyrian for informing everyone.

and Isjungfrun...by the album! its awesome.

I do that a lot aswell. Quite a few friends use my paypal to pay for CDs and whatnot. For example, they order stuff from ebay, give me the cash and I pay for them via paypal. Same goes for Napalm records or whatever..

Isjungfrun, perhaps not my business, but how can you not have a bank account?!?
I suppose that in England bank accounts are free and easy to manage, with full internet access, like here in Holland. I suggest you look into it because if you prefer Solens Rotter on a burned cd-r over the real deal.. well, lets just say in that case I don't like you anymore :mad:

i don't have a bank account either, because of my mum :/ but I have many friends who can do that for me...
here in germany they're free too, but my mother always says "when u got to school, u don't need a bank account" -_-

wow, i was pretty sure that those were real. Really amazing, they sound really natural to me :)

Isjungfrun said:
I'm not in a rush to buy the album just to be a SUPER AWESUM VINTERSORG COLLECTOR.
I got all the albums. does that make me a "super awesum vintersorg collector"? No. I just happen to like his music :oops: