Solid 08 releases so far

I believe it's been mentioned in this thread, possibly even by me (too lazy to look), but the new Satriani, Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock, is fantastic. A certain Top 10 disc.

Zod

Excellent album, I'm not liking it quite as much as SUPER COLOSSAL yet
but it's sure to be high on my list of favorites at the end of the year...

I'm curious to see your list of 10 CDs from the 90's.

In no order (as far as metal goes)...

Carcass- Heartwork
Death- Symbolic
Death- The Sound Of Perseverance
Atheist- Elements
Cynic- Focus
Dissection- Storm Of The Light's Bane
At The Gates- Slaughter Of The Soul
Judas Priest- Painkiller
Symphony X- The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Nevermore- Dreaming Neon Black

... to name a few :D.

I'm sure some of you will argue this list and say "HEY NONE OF THOSE ARE AS TIMELESS AS MASTER OF PUPPETS OR (insert x album from the 80's)" and that's fine, cause it's your opinion. However I think as far as metal... and music general, goes, it's been getting progressively more interesting. Perhaps you loved those 80s bands to death and cannot see those albums ever being topped, but that's the subjectiveness talking. The fact is, whether you like it not, every decade has classic albums that are at least equal to what came out in the past. In my opinion, I think they are better because they are more refreshing. I'm just not of the opinion that an album cannot be topped just because it's a great album.

My curiosity is piqued. Name ten CDs from the 90s which are better than the following (off the top of my head):

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
AC/DC - Back In Black
Dio - The Last In Line
Def Leppard - Pyromania

Zod

See, in my opinion, Reign In Blood is terribly overrated, Powerslave is better than Seventh Son, Def Leppard stinks, and as far as the thrash years are concerned, Ride The Lightning was Metallica's worst album. Different strokes. :D

Not to turn this into a retro thread, but my top 80's list would look something like:

AC/DC- Back In Black
Queensryche- Operation: Mindcrime
Kreator- Pleasure To Kill
Megadeth- Killing Is my Business... And Business Is Good
Iron Maiden- Powerslave
Watchtower- Energetic Dissassembly
Obituary- Slowly We Rot
Cacophony- Speed Metal Symphony
Megadeth- Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
Terrorizer- World Downfall

Fair enough. :lol:

That said, I still prefer Obscura, Unquestionable Presence, Focus and such to anything the 80s had to offer.

As much as I loved Unquestionable Presence, I think Elements is just a notch better. Especially given the circumstances... didn't they write the whole thing in the studio or something? hahah hot damn!

The new Satch album hasn't really tickled my nuts that much...infact for me he hasn't really done anything since Engines of Creation that has got me that excited. Crystal Planet is his best release.
For instrumental guitar, Paul Gilbert's 'Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar' is my top pick.

Carcass- Heartwork
Death- Symbolic
Death- The Sound Of Perseverance
Atheist- Elements
Cynic- Focus
Dissection- Storm Of The Light's Bane
At The Gates- Slaughter Of The Soul
Judas Priest- Painkiller
Symphony X- The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
Nevermore- Dreaming Neon Black
That's a strong list. And if you're a fan of more extreme music, it's easy to see why you'd prefer 90s to 80s. From that list, only Dreaming Neon Black would make my all-time Top 10.

See, in my opinion, Reign In Blood is terribly overrated...
In my opinion, Slayer is terribly overrated. I was just throwing out classic titles.

Def Leppard stinks...
Though I don't consider myself a Def Leppard fan, Pyromania is a brilliant disc and High & Dry is superb. But as you said, different strokes...

...and as far as the thrash years are concerned, Ride The Lightning was Metallica's worst album. Different strokes. :D
Regardless of era, Ride the Lightning is my favorite.

Not to turn this into a retro thread, but my top 80's list would look something like:
I'm actually not sure what my Top 10 of the 80s would look like. Too much nostalgia wrapped up with that period for me to assess the music properly. However, the list would definitely feature a healthy helping of Queensryche, Tesla and Crue.

Zod

Zero Hour - Dark Deceiver
Agalloch - The White
Lenny Kravitz - It Is Time For A Love Revolution
Gates Of Winter - Lux Aeterna
Counting Crows - Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings
Panzer Ballett - Starke Stucke
Kaizers Orchestra - Maskineri
Folkearth - Father Of Victory
Draconian - Turning Season Within
Textures - Silhouettes
Porcupine Tree - We Lost The Skyline
Pineapple Thief - Tightly Unwound
Panic Room - Visionary Position

The new Malpractice is pretty good from what I've heard of it. I'll need to give it another spin.
Stuff that I've heard and enjoyed since my original post:
Kalmah
Shade Empire
Ihsahn (number 1 album of the year so far)
Mirrorthrone
Carnifex
Testament
Septic Flesh
Grave
Lair of the Minotaur
Leviathan

very very slow year for prog/power metal