Solitarily Speaking of decoding this incredible album

Swift Finch

New Metal Member
Mar 5, 2010
Dunno what to call the title, but whatever. Hopefully fans of Ron will have listened to Solitarily Speaking of Theoretical Confinement, a solo album by the great. Apparently its songs are based on various themes that can be noticed in the music. Recently I've had an obsession to try and identify these themes so I can appreciate it even more. Here is my list, please help me finish or remedy it.

1. Wait a Second... - Intro, no theme.
2. A Headache and a Sixty-Fourth - Presumably 64th notes, and a melody that could induce headaches.
3. I've Got the Runs - Melody that appears to be "running".
4. Spelling Bee - My guess is that the notes (or at least some of them) spell out words or phrases. Perhaps I'll get around to testing that theory in the near future.
5. 911 - Sounds like a 20-beat phrase divided into a measure of 9 and a measure of 11 for a section of the song.
6. Melodramatic Chromatic - Chromatic scale, possibly.
7. To B or Not to B - Sections devoted to only the note B, and other sections devoted to every note besides B.
8. Dramatic Chromatic - Chromatic scale.
9. Frank Can Get Drunk and Eat Beer - Not sure. Kinda remains me of a drunk stumbling along, but that's a stretch for a musical theme.
10. Battle of the Hands - Guitar parts go back and forth between left and right speakers.
11. About Face - Not sure.
12. Having Second Thoughts - Sounds like frequent intervals of 2nds.
13. Two-Face - Likely a transition piece, with no theme.
14. 7 Up - Time signature with a 7-beat.
15. Sabbatic Chromatic - Chromatic scale.
16. 207.222.200.112 - No idea.
17. Grizzly Bears Don't Fly Airplanes - No idea.
18. Snuff - No idea.
19. Sex With Squeakie - Not entirely sure. It actually reminds me a lot of a hopping animal (reminiscent of A Wild Hare), but I can't say that for sure.
20. Two Thirds of Satan - No idea.
21. At The 7-11 - 18-beat phrase divided into a measure of 7 and a measure of 11.
22. On Second Thought - Frequent 2nd intervals? Not sure.
23. The Whole Truth, Nothing But... - Sounds like nothing but whole tones.
24. Sick, Dirty, Sick - No idea.
25. Minor Yours - Minor key, dunno if there's anything else.
26. Minor Else! - Minor key. Again, there's probably more to it.
27. Give Me a Break - Probably just something Ron did to rest his hands.
28. Yum Yum Tree - No idea.
29. At the Stop-N-Go - Frequent stopping and resuming throughout the song.
30. On a Scale from 1 to 10 - 10 different scales maybe?
31. Static Chromatic - Chromatic scale.
32. Rigidude - Sounds very rigid, virtually all notes are the same length for all instruments.
33. Erratic Chromatic - Chromatic scale.
34. WatchTower - Not sure.
35. Back and Forth - Seems to me what's going on is that a melody is played in one key, then switched to another in the same rhythm.. Back and forth, presumably.
36. Dimented - Sounds like diminished 5ths.
37. 1st and 10 - Sounds like intervals of 10ths.
38. Gimme 5 - I was considering a 5-beat, but either that's wrong or it's going too fast to count. In any case, not sure about this.
39. In the Name of Ron - Not sure.
40. I've Got the Runs Again - Again a "running" melody.
41. Tri, Tri Again - Tritones, maybe.
42. 9 to 5 - 14-beat phrase divided into a measure of 9 and a measure of 5.
43. I've Got The Runs Really Bad - Running melody.
44. Gee! - Transition song.
45. I'll Be Back... - Outro.

Please help me complete this list so I can die happy.

Oh...

...yeah, sorry about that. I guess that would make some sense. Forget I said anything.

Yes, do it. Both Ron and You deserve that you buy the original CD.
You will not regret...

Yeah, not only are you ripping off artists by illegally downloading, but you are also missing the entire point of that CD. Thanks for being a fan, but...

Ron

I know I don't deserve you guys' sympathy, but I just want to specify that I am actually truly trying to remedy this. A lot of people can probably feel this way as well, having no money yet still needing to fulfill their addiction to great metal. I'm not trying to justify my actions, but please know that this "intervention" of sorts honestly has given me considerable insight.

Many apologies to anyone I've disrespected (especially you, Ron), I can feel I probably won't be welcome around here, which is fine. Just know that I do in fact intend to acquire your music officially and legit once I get the resources and means, like a good fan should. Again, sorry.

i just got this album for christmas this year, it was so kick ass...im trying to learn "i got the runs"...pretty hard song, but luckily we got tabs!..you rock ron!.....oh, and if you are ever looking for another guitar player...let me know!! :D

Yeah, not only are you ripping off artists by illegally downloading, but you are also missing the entire point of that CD. Thanks for being a fan, but...

Ron

Do artists make money directly from store sales (ie: I went to Borders or Music Millennium and bought a cd for $15, the artist makes $10) or does the store buy a bunch from the record label and then resell them?
I've always tried to get money to the artists as direct as possible because DOWN WITH CORPORATIONS MAN, THEY ARE LIKE, HOLDING US BACK, MAN.

THANKS FOR CD RON JARZOMBEK IT MAKES ME HAPPY AND ALSO SAD CAUSE I DONT KNOW HOW TO WRITE MUSIC LIKE YOU! TAKE ME IN AND TEACH ME WHERE THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS!

i mean teach me how to play guitar/music theory

I have the original cd of "Control and Resistance", but that issue has very few information and no lyrics, I wish the band can release it again with a lot of comments, at least with the same level of information that the Jarzombek's cds have.

Anyway, when you are buying a Yes cd, I am sure that the money does not get to them, I am not even sure about bands signed to labels like Nuclear Blast, Century Media or Roadrunner or Inside Out. It really pisses me off to give money to Sony Music or Warner or any major.

The prices charged by Jarzombek are really cheap even for people from Brazil like me. In US one hardly could say that is expensive to get cds from Jarzombek and as we pay through paypal we know that the money really gets to the artist.

Today if you asked me I would pre-order the next Watchtower, Blotted Science or Psychotic waltz, even if I had to wait a year to get the cd. I would not even bother to do the same with Dream Theater for example or Symphony X, two bands I really like but are tied to labels.

1 Phhhp! - Ron can be random sometimes
2 Kill The White Noise - Nothing is on the TV *click*
3 This Nice Blonde - Some chick Ron probably banged
4 Nighty-nite - Going to bed
5 It Looks Like A Chicken - That's what she said!
6 Oh No, Mr. Kitty! - Where's my pet mouse?
7 Electrical Stud - AHHHH!
8 Test Tones - Hearing test since Ron never turns his music down
9 Pre-Slam Discussions - Smoke weed everyday
10 Blink For Me - What the doctor once said
11 Zits In 3-D - Squeeze *pop*
12 That's Odd - Number three
13 Blood Boogie - Ron is a nose picker
14 Ants On My Windshield - Bobby smashed Ron's ant farm
15 Tri-Vivace - Wat
16 Dead Machine - Broken Atari system
17 Hello There! - Mr. Nice Guy
18 Die Bleeding - Ran out of band aids
19 Let's Eat Glass - Dinner with Michel Lotito
20 Fishies On Leashes - Taking the pet fishes out for a swim
21 Blessed Corpse - The power of Christ compels you!
22 Respiratory Therapist Wanna-Be - That was the style back in the day
23 Of The Essence - Yup
24 Razor Blade Baby - I bet that hurt the mother
25 Bombs Away - I've got the runs
26 Slow Song - Ron playing slow? LOL OK