E minor pentaton spiced up with chromatic passing tones

JonasTamas

New Metal Member
Oct 7, 2008
JonasTamas-OSV-Timeless01-chromatic.jpg

This is a cool chromatic line I've come up with doing a guest appearance on one of the songs of the upcoming 3rd OSV album. Click here to download the bigger version of the tablature and the mp3:

http://www.4shared.com/file/1557804..._-_OSV_-_Timeless_01_-_chromatic_passage.html

As you can see and hear, the solo is in the key of E minor, and it starts with two unison bends in the first bar, and a simple bend-and-release pattern in the second bar. Notice, how these two bars are rhythmically connected by the solo guitar, using different notes and techniques but the same rhythm.

At the end of the second bar I start the chromatic line. I took the 5 notes of the E minor pentatonic scale as reference points and did some chromatic 'journeys' around them. In the fourth bar you have to shift positions twice, so I wrote the fingering below these two points.

When using chromatic lines, it is important to end the passage on one of the main notes of the key - this time I've landed simply on the root (D string 14th fret).