Need Guitarist(s) Insight

Burti

Apr 22, 2007
How the hell do I get the rhythm for a solo down? Yes, I am aware that nearly all solos have a different pulse, and there is no easy answer to this question. I can get any rhythm down fairly easily (save Frantic Disembowlment, that's a bitch). But solos just throw me off, except Sweating Bullets, but that's just running more or less a Chromatic scale across the neck.

What do I do, slow something down to the point of being unrecognizable in nature, then gradually up the tickage on the metronome gradually to increase speed? Practice till my fingers become stiff with rigor mortis? ANY insight would be great.

anything and everything. some can knock it out at normal speed, some can slow it down. frankly, i can't be bothered to learn other people's material, but if I did, I'd slow it down and slowly speed it up

that is a ridiculously vague question. i guess you could start practicing them at extremely low speeds, and then gradually build up.

Appreciated, and how slow is extremely slow? Cutting it in half, or moreso than that?

any bit of playing helps me. sometimes I just sit and pick by following my random left hand and it helps LOADS. i think it's good, because if you can randomly be quick, imagine how fast you'll go when you KNOW the shit.

by your lack of smilie use, i cant tell if that's sarcasm or not. :lol:

hahahaha, i am notorious for my rejection of smilies. i was serious, i definitely agree with you. i think that other people's songs are there to teach you how to play an instrument. as soon as you can write your own material in any way, you must move away and do it!!! there are so many retards that play exactly like Akerfeldt or Loomis, and they will never experience a shred of originality. I haven't learned someone else's song in quite a spell...

Retarded Penguin, just random noodling and following it with your picking hand? Never thought about trying that, I noodle too much and maybe that would help.

Thanks again :)

MFJ, I'm not trying to say I follow one bands material and practice the hell out of it, because I don't (aside from Death, I dig that shit). I try to remain as open as possible and try every style, and every band.

Retarded Penguin, just random noodling and following it with your picking hand? Never thought about trying that, I noodle too much and maybe that would help.

Thanks again :)
there's a musical pattern to most melodies where they pick the "right notes". i suppose it's all theoretical and it would probably help loads. but i just screw around until i find something melodic in some way and play with tempo. *shrug*
i just treat guitar as a hobby... until i hear a song i wanna rock to, then shit gets serious and i crack the FUCK down

There are a lot of techniques you can learn from other peoples songs. As long as you learn a wide range of different music that you enjoy it will help, and open your possibilities up. Thats a good way to become the player you want to become. You definitely have to dedicate a good amount of time to your own songwriting as well. The key is definitely to start slow because if you're playing it wrong your muscle memory won't be good, and it will set you back if anything. Don't play past your abilities. Also if you're feeling lazy, and just noodle wich usually happens when your guitar is laying on your lap, thats worse than not playing at all. It's all about good muscle memory.

I think we had this exact coversation here not too long ago.

I am not sure if this helps answer your question at all-- but I guess a good way of getting the "rhythm" of the solo, is to pick out the accent notes and beats and play those first, if you have to slow it down to figure that out, than do so. You know, get the main parts, then fill it in. Because then you'll know where the patterns pulse and change.. hmm it's hard to describe what I mean! Anyway good luck.

How the hell do I get the rhythm for a solo down? Yes, I am aware that nearly all solos have a different pulse, and there is no easy answer to this question. I can get any rhythm down fairly easily (save Frantic Disembowlment, that's a bitch). But solos just throw me off, except Sweating Bullets, but that's just running more or less a Chromatic scale across the neck.

What do I do, slow something down to the point of being unrecognizable in nature, then gradually up the tickage on the metronome gradually to increase speed? Practice till my fingers become stiff with rigor mortis? ANY insight would be great.

If you can, write down the rhythm you want to play.
That helps dramatically.
Then just learn the rhythm step by step, bar by bar, begin slow if you're more comfortable with that.
And the you can practice playing the actual melodies in that rhythm.