Dave Mustaines Egomaniacal Ramblings

I love the songwriting on the first 4 megadeth albums- yet i suppose it was always tongue in cheek with dave- unlike Metallica when they recorded those horribly overdone epics like Fade to Black. Dave was writing these very thoughtful, carnivelesque, and insightful lyrics, actually the lyrics on Countdown are very good, some use stream of consciousness like sweating bullets, psychotron - always amusing or interesting-

The only really good lyrics Metallica ever had, where on to Live is to Die, hell the lyrics to Metallica were so bad and overdone, I made it a point to just learn the music and not care about the lyrics.

Finally, I would say Cryptic Writings and THWNAH are a hell of alot better than anything metallica has done since Justice For All.

Everything in Metal always seems to come back to this Metallica band, I always thought they were overated, that Kirk sucked, well at least to me it seems he has played the same solo over and over again Newstead disappeared, Lars was maybe the most overated musician in metal history, and James- well I am a drummer and dont know how to play guitar, but he seemed to be the guy holding it all together, I ve always wondered how they became the big band, cuz so many bands at the time could have made it instead of Metallica.

everything after the black album sucked ass for tallica too. and the shit with the raper hah! well makes me wanna vomit!

Originally posted by inflamer
Thats one thing that always bugged me...the bay area thrash bands always say shit about eacth other all the time ... oh... and dave is a compulsive asshole ... you shouldnt take him serious :D

I think its funny when they talk shit about each other. I love them all, and it doesn't bother me. They probably just talked to shit about each other because it's fun!

Thats about all we do agree on.............but Poet, your words don't rhyme, nor do they soothe the ears.........or make sense..........As for my knowledge on Metallica, I was right here in the Bay Area, while it was happening.................I'll tell you why Dave got the boot from Metallica: Because he was Arrogant, violent, bad drunk, with a huge Ego who could not listen to his band mates & keep his big f**kin mouth shut...........& he reminds me of you.............But he has a Drug problem, what's you excuse?
Change your name to .............MegaDorkPoet................I Like It...

:lol: :lol: :) :lol: :lol: :eek: :lol: :lol:

speed: The reason everything comes back to Metallica and why they got big is because they were the best. Yes, Load and Reload were not up to the standards THEY laid down, or ours, but everything before that was fantastic. You ask ANY metal musician today who their influences are, and one of the first things they will say is "old Metallica". Why? Because of the SONGS.

Kirk doesnt suck, and its becoming increasingly popular to put shit on him for some reason, his 80s stuff are some of the greatest guitar solos ever, Megadeth had technically better solos, but nothing they have written comes close to the solos in songs like Fade To Black, One and others. I wish he would go back to playing the way he did, but its not gonna happen, but that doesnt mean everything he ever did sucks all of a sudden.

I cant believe you can say Sweating Bullets has good lyrics and then slam Fade To Black. Thats just bizzare :confused:

Everything Megadeth has done has been in direct response to Metallica, Metallica are the biggest band in the world because they lead the way and didnt follow. I may not like the last 2 studio albums (though some parts are good) but Metallica got where they are because they are great. Its as simple as that.

These days I dont listen to much Metallica, not because I dont like them, but because ive moved onto heavier stuff like Testaments new stuff, Kreator and so on, but that doesnt mean they suck, just that *I* changed and went looking for stuff that had a harder edge, but what was the first riff I really wanted to be able to play on guitar? Master Of Puppets.

P.S. I own all Deths stuff and some bootleg shows and so on, I DO like Megadeth, but some of their fans make really silly arguments and statements when someone says something about Dave himself or the band.

THE POINT IS IS THAT EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINION. If you can't at least agree on that then you should kill yourself or something and save us from your blathering.

Imo most of Kirk's solos are very uninspired and boring... but I do like Metallica (inlcuding the Black Album, not inlcuding the shit after it... which did have a few good moments).

I haven't heard much Megadeth but all I can say about Mustaine's solo style is this: making a solo really fast and long doesn't make it good! Haven't heard any Anthrax in my life...

Testament is by far the best band to me, because they've changed over time, but still remained true to their roots... with memorable guitar solos and riffs all around, and really good vocals most of the time, it boggles the mind why they didn't become the most popular... but Metallica always had a more mainstream style than anyone else (again IMO). :)

@Deadly Embrace : You already established the fact that you are a moron. :tickled: Dont try and sound like you know what you are talking about now.

Spawn,first let me remind you , I started this thread, and I do think Megadeth has put out a lot of shit, and Dave is a egomaniacal idiot.
I think we both agree that it was songwriting that put Metallica over such contemporaries as testament- anthrax etc. Yet, I dont like their songwriting, it is formulaic, and rather over the top, the lyrics are so-so etc. When you said:
"I cant believe you can say Sweating Bullets has good lyrics and then slam Fade To Black. Thats just bizzare"
I am talking about the very interesting dualistic stream of consciousness nature of the song, I mean it starts: Hello Me meet the real me , a guy and his rather jekyll and Hyde nature, one part is sane, the other is crazy- actually the song really reminds me of Dostoevsky's The Double- in which the character has a dual personality- one is obsessed with his menial government job and his outward appearance, the other is sort of the characters violent devilish other side who does all the twisted actions hisother side wished to commit, but thought would ruin his reputation.
Sweating Bullets
Dave Mustaine

Hello me... Meet the real me
And my misfits way of life
A dark black past is my
Most valued possession
Hindsight is always 20-20,
But looking back it's still a bit fuzzy
Speak of mutually assured destruction?
Nice story... Tell it to Reader's Digest!

Chorus
Feeling paranoid
True enemy or false friend?
Anxiety's attacking me, and
My air is getting thin
I'm in trouble for the things
I haven't got to yet
I'm chomping at the bit, and my
Palms are getting wet, sweating bullets.

Solo - Dave

Hello me... It's me again
You can subdue, but never tame me
It gives me a migraine headache
Thinking down to your level
Yea, just keep on thinking it's my fault
And stay an inch or two outta kicking distance
Mankind has got to know
His limitations

Chorus
Feeling claustrophobic
Like the walls are closing in
Blood stains on my hands and
I don't know where I've been
I'm in trouble for the things
I haven't got to yet
I'm sharpening the axe and my
Palms are getting wet, sweating bullets

Well, me... it's nice talking to myself
A credit to dementia
Some day you too will know my pain
And smile its blacktooth grin
If the war inside my head
Won't take a day off I'll be dead
My icy fingers claw your back
Here I come again

Chorus
Feeling paranoid
True enemy or false friend?
Anxiety's attacking me
And my air is getting thin
Feeling claustrophobic
Like the walls are closing in
Blood stains on my hands and
I don't know where I've been
Once you committed me
Now you've acquitted me
Claiming validity
For your stupidity
I'm chomping at the bit
I'm sharpening the axe
Here I come again, whoa!
Sweating bullets

As far as I remember Metallica never ever tried such interesting lyrics,rich with psychological insight, What was Fade to Black? another lame suicide song- i mean cmon- the real problem here is that most people do not want to think of such interesting things, and they sure as hell dont want to hear songs about them, I mean the pop industry has been built around the love song since time beginning.

Metallica's solos better than Megadeths? you admitted Megadeths are better technically- but I know from just a pure listening standpoint I would rather hear Wake up Dead- or Hanger 18.

Finally I think you mentioned Megadeth copied Metallica- I disagree- The first two Megadeth albums- my favs- were raw technical brilliant speed metal- and sounded nothing like Metallicas ride, master, or justice- RIP sounds like nothing Metallica ever did, nor does Countdown to Extinction- only youthnasia will I say sort of took a page from Metallica's book, of overproduced boring metal.

Finally, I can listen to old Megadeth all the time- yet put metallica in, and except for a few songs, I can honsetly say I dont think much of it.

OK..here's my 2 cents worth. In my opinion, everything after Justice blows. Kirk Hammett is the wawa king and I hate that shit. The only thing Dave was better at was lead guitar, I think he's an amazing guitarist..Kirk is just wawawawa..who wants to listen to that shit? BUT I like Both bands up until certain points..for Metallica..the downfall was the black album, sandman is about the cheesiest song in the world! I was so disgusted the first time I heard that. For me it was kind of a turning point in the wrong direction. For Megadeth it was post Countdown, everything up to and including that was good music (to me). I agree that Dave is rediculous, he has been for quite some time. Case and point.. during the Clash Of The Titans tour he called Slayer the "baby" band, and boasted about how much better Megadeth was. Those drugs must have been really distorting! Good god, what planet is that guy from?? It woulda been cool to see Kerry King smash his face right on stage and to see Dave go running off yelling, "Stop making fun of me" (ha)

Anyway..that's my two cents..

OK..here's my 2 cents worth.

i agree 100% about the metallica stuff, kirk hammet has allways been bad, he just got even more boring after they stopped being thrash, and your right the black album is nothing but wa wa' stuff with nursyrymes repeated to nausia....

but i dont see how you can say countdown is any better, its the same thing really, simplycity, altumatly boring riffs and totaly lackluster (at times laughable vocals) ...

so i agree with your point bolth bands are totaly washed up...
and i think this proves why testament is the better band, not only are they as strong as ever... but their old material matched if not exceded bolth bands.

thats how i look at it , and i enjoy all 3 bands consider myself a fan of all 3.

:) :) :)

Originally posted by speed

As far as I remember Metallica never ever tried such interesting lyrics,rich with psychological insight, What was Fade to Black? another lame suicide song- i mean cmon- the real problem here is that most people do not want to think of such interesting things, and they sure as hell dont want to hear songs about them, I mean the pop industry has been built around the love song since time beginning.

Finally I think you mentioned Megadeth copied Metallica- I disagree- The first two Megadeth albums- my favs- were raw technical brilliant speed metal- and sounded nothing like Metallicas ride, master, or justice- RIP sounds like nothing Metallica ever did, nor does Countdown to Extinction- only youthnasia will I say sort of took a page from Metallica's book, of overproduced boring metal.

I know better than to get into arguments with megadeth fans. I should listen to myself. Bad Spawny.

I think Sweating Bullets is cheesy as fuck actually (and the awful sound that he tries to pass of as singing on that particular track does not help), and go listen to Victory, Insomnia or Mechanix or Ill Be There For You, thats some stupid shit. Metallica covered a wide range of stuff, drug use, history, biblical stuff, religion, death, war, capital punishment and more. They may not be the best lyrics ever, but Mustaines are nowhere near being one either.

All your post seems to do is suck up to Mustaine by proclaiming him a misunderstood genius who writes about truly intellectual, psychological and intelligent things. Nothing Megadeth has done has been any better or worse than the best or worse lyrics from any other thrash band from that era that had any success.

Megadeth DID copy Metallica, go grab the Behind The Music Deth did and hear it straight from Mustaines mouth. Every single Deth album has just been a reaction to a Metallica one. AJFA is technical, Deth does RIP, Metallica goes simple and sells a lot, Deth follows suit. I dont need to prove it, seeing as Dave himself admitted it.

Dave Mustaine has had 20 years to show the world the kind of person he is, yet he is still seen as an asshole, why do people keep saying he is simply misunderstood? A spade is a fucking spade!

As I said, I own all of Deths stuff, but Megadeth fans seem to think they have to show how hardcore they are simply because Megadeths record sales have gone down the shitter like their music has for the last few albums and noone outside of the VERY hardcore fans gives a fuck about their next album.

(I look forward to hearing it myself, but most people stopped caring 6 or 7 years ago)

Speed, I have nothing against you at all, so dont take any of my post as being a personal attack of any kind ok? :D (Not that I think you have so far, just making sure :) )

It seems to me that Dave Mustaine himself would have to anally rape some Megadeth fans before they actually started to think "Hmmm maybe he ISNT so good anymore..."

If you are only as good as your last album, Testament and Slayer have pissed all over Metallica and particularly Megadeths graves :)

Megadeth did not copy Metallica!! :mad:

Mustaine has written a lot of songs on Kill 'em All and Ride The Lightning. To my opinion their best albums. Kirk & James just copied Mustaines guitar-parts, but Mustaine invented that style. Don't forget that.

Can someone who is a hardcore Megadeth fan please read the following and just let me know if it actually forms words? Thanks in advance, your pal, Spawny :D

"Megadeth DID copy Metallica, go grab the Behind The Music Deth did and hear it straight from Mustaines mouth. Every single Deth album has just been a reaction to a Metallica one. AJFA is technical, Deth does RIP, Metallica goes simple and sells a lot, Deth follows suit. I dont need to prove it, seeing as Dave himself admitted it."

In fact, just those last 6 words, did they come out ok? :)

Originally posted by flebbie
Megadeth did not copy Metallica!! :mad:

Mustaine has written a lot of songs on Kill 'em All and Ride The Lightning. To my opinion their best albums. Kirk & James just copied Mustaines guitar-parts, but Mustaine invented that style. Don't forget that.

I have written a shitload of riffs.

Im going to give them to Eric Peterson and then when he makes fucking awesome songs out of them and gets a great singer to sing on them, im going to claim he is just a leech who is coasting off my talent and that I invented the whole genre.

it strikes me as i ronic that he calls Testament a metallica copy cat, when he admits thats all he's been...

i see testament as way more original then megadeth, and lets not forget that testament is putting out some of their best work just now, unlike metallica and megadeth who are bolth totaly washed up and will never put out another album worth listing to again.

spawn- i love a good argument is all- and yes you found my weak points- mustaine and the boys are washed up, the lyrics on the last three albums- well last 4 albums have been horrible, and the music mediocre, and yes I do agree the new Testament shit is some of the best thrash ever, and certaintly better than anything either Metallica or Megadeth have done in 12 years.

I do think you give way too much credit to metallica- if you watch behind the music, Hetfield and Ulrich, both say Dave was doing shit, and wrtitng shit they had never heard from anyone- it was totally original at the time.

As for you statement," All your post seems to do is suck up to Mustaine by proclaiming him a misunderstood genius who writes about truly intellectual, psychological and intelligent things". Well i just wanted to give him some credit, because some of his songs are rather interesting, and have a depth that was otherwise not found in other thrash bands- then again he wrote idiotic songs at the same time- so I guess I am just stating that he was a bit more adventerous as a songwriter.

Finally I am not sucking up to Mustaine, I respect his many talents, yet I very much acknowledge the fact he is a egomaniacal, junkie, who has a self image problem, as he feels he needs to take all the credit-Al Gore syndrome maybe- this is the reason I posted this interview. I was more than shocked to read that he thought testament to be Metallica ripoffs.

The question I have for you is, wouldnt we both like to see both bands get back to playing metal- metallica almost has to lead- because they are the one metal band in America with any kind of mass selling power. If they put out another Load- well then the market will stay flooded with bad nu metal- and we will have to scour the net finding the best underground bands, and have few people to talk to about them.