Solo Competition 3 .... (Not Offical...Questions)

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
So steve ....

I have a few questions regarding your ideas for number 3.

I do unerstand that you want this to be a learning experience, and you want to give everyone the opportunity to solo over more complex backgrounds s they can explore new horizons ....

But ... it being a competition is it fair to those in the competition that arent familiar with odd time ?

Me being someone used to odd times has a major advantage ....

My idea would be have 1 do odd time and one straight time. Since there were 2 winners.

Just my 2 cents.

Remember you dont have to solo over the whole thing. If you can lay down a single part, it'd be better then struggling in some areas. Doing an odd timing backing track was awesome though. I found it quite easy, so I dunno if I've done it correctly :lol:

Guru,
While I respect your opinions, as an educator for the last 20+ years, it's been my experience that when someone is exposed to something like odd time signatures sooner in their playing life, they tend to learn it quicker than if they happen upon it someday, when they think they're more ready. This happened to me, and I always like to try and pass it on!
Anyone who has entered this contest so far, has had enough courage to get in there, and come up with a solo to a backing track not of their own creation. Why would this be any diffferent? It just the count is a little different! lol
OK, if I do this, maybe it helps to give those who may feel inexperienced, a little primer on odd time signatures.
The ones we're looking to do are: 5/4 and 7/4.

If you think of 5/4 as a combination of two simple time signatures( 2/4=duple meter, 3/4=triple meter), you would come up with two perspectives: It's either a bar of 2/4 and a bar of 3/4, combined, or vice versa. This is called a complex meter, kids,but no to woory, it's not too complex at all!
You might also take the parallel route, and count 1,2,3,4,5, and treat it in a linear fashion, maybe accenting 1, or maybe 5, or maybe accenting everything but 1 or 5; a multitude of combinations is out there!

If you think of 7/4 as a combination of 3/4 and 4/4, or 4/4 and 3/4, basically a combo of triple and quadruple meters, there again, you'll find it easier to count through, and understand.
Again, you can also take the parallel route, and count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, treat it in a linear fashion( no accents), or accent 1, or 7, or again, everything but 1 or 7.

I'm having a hard time thinking off the top of my head of a direct song reference that's metal for 5/4; I know it's at the top of my head, but anyone else out there want to throw a few suggestions around, please do!
My two references will be: Take Five, by Dave Brubeck, and the middle section of La Villa Strangiato, by Rush. The bridge section, right before the re-introduction. It's a bar of 6, followed by a bar of 5, if I remember right.
Come on, somebody's got a MESSUGAH reference they can give, right? Tool? Two bands I know frequently use odd time sigs in their songs...
7/4, probably the best known example known to man is Pink Floyd's Money!
One of their biggest hits, and a song solidly in 7/4 the whole way. Count it, you'll see. Even better, play it. There's a ton of tab for it somewhere, right?
And don't forget to take a listen to David Gilmour's solo!
( And I'm gathering everyone has "ways" of obtaining said songs somewhere)

I know, I know, these are "old school" song references, but hey, you learn from the past that came before, right?

Hope that helps, even a little!

As soon as I get the next backing track entries from both Moonlapse and bibz, I will post the announcement of the next contest!

Bibz, sounds like you got one done man! Good! Send it on, and I'll check it out. The start of this next contest could be a while, as Moonlapse says he is putting a new recording system together, and could not give me a time frame of when he would be set up, so I'm waiting to hear back from him when he's got this done.And I want to give him a fair chance to submit his entry! Hang tight people, we'll get started soon enough.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

While i completely agree with you steve (as i was introduced very early aswell to odd time, dad being a jazz guitarist). My concern was more with the competition being fair to all who enter .... just a thought ya know ....

As for refrences for time signatures here a small list i compiled....

Metal Songs with Odd times....

5/8 - Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (Intro)

5/8 - Metallica - Master Of Puppets- (Verse riff is a bar of 4/4, followed by a bar of 5/8)

5/8 - Dream Theater - Erotomania

5/8 - Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy

5/8 - Mudvayne - The Patient (bridge)

5/8 - Tool - Vicarious

7/8 - System Of A Down - Question (also moves into 9/8) (last solo is in 4/4)

7/8 - Slipknot - Opium Of the People

7/8 - Joe Satriani - The Meaning of Love

7/8 - Pantera - By Demons Be Driven

7/8 - Opeth - Deliverance (intro part)

7/8 - Carcass - No Love Lost

7/8 - Tool - 46 & 2

Hey Steve, you definitely don't need to wait on me. It may be a while before the system is up and I don't want to put everyone here on hold. Plus, I'm a bit starved for ideas on what sort of thing I'd record anyway. It hasn't been my most creative period!

I'd say just going with Bibz' entry may be the best way to go. Make it a bit easier on people as they don't need to solo over 2 separate tracks.

I do really look forward to people's entries on it though. #3 should be a hell of a solo comp.

While i completely agree with you steve (as i was introduced very early aswell to odd time, dad being a jazz guitarist). My concern was more with the competition being fair to all who enter .... just a thought ya know ....

As for refrences for time signatures here a small list i compiled....

Metal Songs with Odd times....

5/8 - Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (Intro)

5/8 - Metallica - Master Of Puppets- (Verse riff is a bar of 4/4, followed by a bar of 5/8)

5/8 - Dream Theater - Erotomania

5/8 - Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy

5/8 - Mudvayne - The Patient (bridge)

5/8 - Tool - Vicarious

7/8 - System Of A Down - Question (also moves into 9/8) (last solo is in 4/4)

7/8 - Slipknot - Opium Of the People

7/8 - Joe Satriani - The Meaning of Love

7/8 - Pantera - By Demons Be Driven

7/8 - Opeth - Deliverance (intro part)

7/8 - Carcass - No Love Lost

7/8 - Tool - 46 & 2
Guru, totally understood, and respected man! I just believe through trying this, it hopefully will cause people to grow. That's all I want to see for this "contest". And a HUGE THANKS FOR THIS LIST! That puts a lot of different and varied examples out there!

Hey Steve, you definitely don't need to wait on me. It may be a while before the system is up and I don't want to put everyone here on hold. Plus, I'm a bit starved for ideas on what sort of thing I'd record anyway. It hasn't been my most creative period!

I'd say just going with Bibz' entry may be the best way to go. Make it a bit easier on people as they don't need to solo over 2 separate tracks.

I do really look forward to people's entries on it though. #3 should be a hell of a solo comp.

Moonlapse,
Let's make it easier on you then. Send me what you said you were going to send originally, and we'll treat that as your entry. I would like to give people a challenge here, and to have one of your backing tracks, and one from bibz, will complete that challenge for this time around perfectly! Can you still send it? Let me know!:headbang:

Yeah it shouldn't be too much of a problem Steve. It turns out I wiped the session a few months ago, but I can quickly re-record the rhythm guitars, as the drum tracks are still there.

I'll get to it now and hopefully will get the track over to you via e-mail in a few hours.

Awesome explanation Steve, I'm looking forward to the odd-time backing tracks! I must confess I never really tried anything outside 4/4 rythms in 2 years, so this is gonna be awesome, I'm eager to learn something new.

Man, i love this forum, i'm trying to learn to take the time, and probably i'm managing it :D

Well, allright guys, I got Moonlapses backing track, and am waiting for one little fix in bibz backing track.
As it turned out, ML didn't have time to put in an odd time backing track, so we're "settling" on a 4/4 entry he sent me instead, which will still be cool. Guru, looks like things worked out the way you wanted after all!:lol:
No, in all seriousness, we will have one 4/4/ backing track to solo over, and one in 7/4 as well. That's about all I'll give away for now, everybody.

SPREAD THE WORD!!! I'LL GET THESE PUT UP BY FRIDAY, AND WE'LL GET STARTED ON THE 3RD STEVE SMYTH FORUM SOLO CONTEST!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Hi, I'm new to the board. I found out about this solo competition in the Nevermore forum (I go there once in a while searching for news), I think its a great idea, it's cool to see how everyone have a different approach on the same backing track. There were some very good playing in the second one.

If I have some free time I'll be joining you guys in this one.