Guitar Tone Competition IV?

+1 pre-processed bass!
Amp is needed like hell! I know that my chance is low, but hell I won't surrender!
About time limit - month???

Can I still participate even though I'm sponsoring?

I won't win anyway. And if I magically did, I would give the amp to the runner up.

I could contribute with some music, DI's or mixing the backing track (only if Ermz is too busy, cuz his backing was awesome)
Example:

PS: I'd also vote for dry bass, as most of my guitar tones really need a matching bass tone to sound 100%

Last edited by a moderator:
I could contribute with some music, DI's or mixing the backing track (only if Ermz is too busy, cuz his backing was awesome)
Example:

PS: I'd also vote for dry bass, as most of my guitar tones really need a matching bass tone to sound 100%

Exactly.. Almost all good guitar tones need a good bass tone.. Not saying ermz won't come up with a good bass tone, but with a given bass tone, it really narrows it down to what tones will work well in the mix.. With a dry tone it actually makes us work and will yield much more variety.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more mix elements you have, the more it narrows the field. Pre-mixed vocals once again would define how you would have to disperse midrange in your guitar sound.

There really is no simple solution here unfortunately, without taking this whole competition further into the realm of a 'mix comp' rather than a 'guitar comp'.

Whatever you guys decide in the end, I'll play ball.

I'm going to post sample DIs here within the week. Anssi was talking about me doing 3 different run-throughs with three different guitars, but I'd rather everyone agree on a guitar I'm using here.

The more mix elements you have, the more it narrows the field. Pre-mixed vocals once again would define how you would have to disperse midrange in your guitar sound.

There really is no simple solution here unfortunately, without taking this whole competition further into the realm of a 'mix comp' rather than a 'guitar comp'.

Whatever you guys decide in the end, I'll play ball.

Agreed. Might as well make it a mix comp, since 99% of the the tones are going to sound quite similar lol

What about sticking with the guitar tone competition idea, but allowing everyone to record the guitars themselves? Surely forcing different recording chains, players etc. into the equation will foster diversity as well.

The mix competition thing doesn't really stay true to the idea of what this whole thing is about. You can find a mix comp on any thread where someone has put up some tracks for mixing. It's a well-treaded area... this is something different.

But wont that cause issues for the guys that actually aren't guitarists (Not that i imagine there are many of those on here lol), or the guys who can't actually play well enough to track it properly?

Phil

What about sticking with the guitar tone competition idea, but allowing everyone to record the guitars themselves? Surely forcing different recording chains, players etc. into the equation will foster diversity as well.

The mix competition thing doesn't really stay true to the idea of what this whole thing is about. You can find a mix comp on any thread where someone has put up some tracks for mixing. It's a well-treaded area... this is something different.
concerning bass, what about both? A pre-processed track for those who don't want to process it themselves and a DI for those who feel the pre-pro won't fit their tones

Isn't it more realistic if the bass was pre-processed? I'm sure Greg doesn't get unprocessed bass sounds when he reamps stuff, and look at how great his work is?

There's a month to submit the re-amped guitars, it's supposed to be a challenge, getting a tone to fit the existing track is going to be more of a challenge than processing your own bass to match your tone. Plus, it keeps an even playing field.

But wont that cause issues for the guys that actually aren't guitarists (Not that i imagine there are many of those on here lol), or the guys who can't actually play well enough to track it properly?

Phil

This ^^^

I heard the midi version that was uploaded and I don't think I'd be able to play it, at least not as tight as that sounds :ill:

Isn't it more realistic if the bass was pre-processed? I'm sure Greg doesn't get unprocessed bass sounds when he reamps stuff, and look at how great his work is?

There's a month to submit the re-amped guitars, it's supposed to be a challenge, getting a tone to fit the existing track is going to be more of a challenge than processing your own bass to match your tone. Plus, it keeps an even playing field.

+1 I think a pre-processed bass track with the drums is fair enough, this is meant to be a guitar tone competition.

But if Gregs idea gets done, and its a whole mix competition, I think things could be a lot more fun and challenging, so I'd definitely be up for that :D