Guitar Tone Competition 3: Planning phase

Just finished mixing the backing track about 5 minutes ago. Checking with Plec whether he wants to master it for us (then drop it like 12dB, haha). I'll also check with Anssi and Jeff and make sure it's all in order.

Just finished mixing the backing track about 5 minutes ago. Checking with Plec whether he wants to master it for us (then drop it like 12dB, haha). I'll also check with Anssi and Jeff and make sure it's all in order.

Ermz, PM me an mp3 of it or something - about to crash for the night.

Just shot DanLights a tab/backing to do the bass, we'll see if we can't get that in there.

On another note, since I now have a 5150 and 2ch Dual Recto, and will be home for good on June 9th... I'm entering this one myself!

Alright, Ermz just gave me permission to post his mix of the backing track. Note that these guitars were all done with a POD.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Guitar Tone Comp 3 - Ermzmix.mp3

It's my opinion that the mix is quite bass heavy, and would negatively influence micing/tone decisions for the competition. Remixing for lower bass content is a possibility, as is lowering it during mastering, but let me know what you guys think!

This is also the first time most of you have heard this track... so I suppose this is the big unveiling. :lol:

Alright, Ermz just gave me permission to post his mix of the backing track. Note that these guitars were all done with a POD.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Guitar Tone Comp 3 - Ermzmix.mp3

It's my opinion that the mix is quite bass heavy, and would negatively influence micing/tone decisions for the competition. Remixing for lower bass content is a possibility, as is lowering it during mastering, but let me know what you guys think!

This is also the first time most of you have heard this track... so I suppose this is the big unveiling. :lol:

Cool shit !

The lead w. breakdown riff part at the very end sounds very God Forbid.

Maybe I lost something, maybe I'm a little stupid. Someone guide me...

Some questions:

1) Still aren't all files uploaded isn't it ?
2) We must process only guitars or the whole mix?
3) Any thread to see the rules for the competition?

Sorry, I didn't compete in any of the other competitions.

:headbang:

1) Still aren't all files uploaded isn't it ?
2) We must process only guitars or the whole mix?
3) Any thread to see the rules for the competition?

1. No, we're waiting on the mix to be finalized and then we will start a new thread where you download the backing tracks and the DI files.
2. ONLY THE GUITARS are allowed to be processed. You cannot touch the mix, not even the volume of it.
3. Either at this thread or in one of the other GTC's linked to at the beginning of the thread.

Okay here is a mix with more attenuated bass, as per what Jeff requested: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Guitar Tone Comp 3 - Ermzmix2.mp3

A lot of it was actually in the guide guitars, and the backing track is more or less fine (IMO anyway).

I've uploaded the final backing track and will link Jeff/Anssi up to it. As it currently stands you guys have 6dB of headroom above the mix to seat your guitar tones, but that may be subject to change depending on what the guys want.

I imagine the rules are the same as last time.
Gonna be waiting for the onslaught of idiots who put shit on the master bus like last time:loco:

The mix sounds awesome, but I think it's going to be a lot harder to judge the tones with so much going on.

Regardless, I'm quite excited for this competition, and my biggest problem will be what amp/cab to choose :lol:

I agree, it's a pretty dense arrangement. In the last revision I dropped the vocals back a little so the guitars get some more space but yeah it will definitely be more of a contest about those who can seat tones in a full mix rather than pull solid raw tones.

Looking back, the bass could probably stand to go down a little more, but we can tweak that up easily enough with some mastering. I might even leave the job to Jeff with a C4. Was originally going to leave those final touches to Plec but unfortunately he's too busy.

The vocals are taking up quite a bit of space, but a good tone will allow them to breathe, yet slice through the mix and fill out the low-midrange the bass and body of the drums don't occupy.

I was just doing reamping for someone today, and their vocal track jumped to the front as soon as I trashed their podfarm guitars and laid down some XTC goodness through a Greenback cabinet.

The vocals do have points where they relax more, and the solo at the end will allow for a more precise glimpse at how the guitars are working together.

Nice job, guys.