Guitar Tone Competition 3: Files and rules

MarkG

Feb 15, 2009
Netherlands
Hello, welcome to the third Andy Sneap forum guitar tone competition!

In case there is something you want to ask, don't hesitate to contact MarkG: markv.d.giessen@gmail.com

GENERAL INFO

-------------------------

The competition is hosted by MarkG. A big thanks to Anssi for setting this round up, the lyrics, negotiating & QC, to Ermz for mixing the backing, vocals by Javi Perera and to JeffTD for the DI´s!

The submission deadline is July 1st 2010, and the voting will take place in July 2010.

This competition is sponsored by http://www.brainworx-music.de/ and http://www.voxengo.com and http://www.ikmultimedia.com

As such, the winner will receive:
* Brainworx bx_digital V2 Native (no iLok included) mastering quality processor available for both PC and MAC in VST/AU/RTAS
* The winner will also recieve Voxengo Elephant (not-for-resale license) audio mastering limiter available for both PC and MAC in VST/AU
* The winner will also recieve Amplitube 3 guitar effect suite for both PC and MAC in VST/AU/RTAS

WHAT DO I HAVE TO SUBMIT?

- Mixdown which has the backing track and guitars.
- Mixdown which has only the guitars soloed (= backing tracks muted).
- Description of the signal chain (with pictures and/or screenshots if possible for educational purposes).
- Submission format is 24-Bit 44.1 KHz interlaced stereo wav, no exceptions. Failing to meet this requirement leads to disqualification.
- Name the files "username_mixdown.wav" and "username_guitars.wav"

SUBMISSION

- Submission deadline: July 1st 2010. Only submissions by Ultimate Metal forum members are accepted.
- Send your submission to email address markv.d.giessen@gmail.com with topic "Guitar tone competition: username"
- Files should be archived and hosted on the web using for example http://www.getdropbox.com. No waiting time servers will be accepted!
- Only one submission per member, so make it count!

WE WILL SUPPLY YOU WITH:

- A pre-processed stereo mixdown of the backing track, containing drums, vocals and bass guitar.
- 8 guitar di-tracks for reamping.
- a pre-processed stereo mixdown of a guide track which includes example guitars created with POD.

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO:

- Process, pan and automate the guitar tracks in any way you want.
- Record replacement guitar tracks if you don't have reamping capabilities.
- If you record your guitars instead of reamping, you have to try to make the performance as similar to the supplied tracks as your skills allow.

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO:

- Modify the composition or edit the performance on the supplied di-tracks.
- Edit or process the backing track in any way.
- You have to make the guitar tones fit the supplied drums, vocals and bass. - (You have been left 12db of headroom for the guitars).
- Add any additional instruments.
- Use any master bus processing.

WHAT TO DO WITH THE FILES:

- Put the backing track to a stereo track, panned hard left and hard right.
- Set the level of the backing track and master bus to unity gain (+- 0dB).
- You are not allowed to raise the volume of the backing track*, or process the backing track in any way, or use any master bus processing.
- Mix the guitars to fit the volume of the backing tracks, not the backing track to fit the guitars.
- Do not let the mixdown clip.
- Do not normalize the bounced tracks.

If you break the rules, you will be disqualified. Don´t be late with the submission either!

Without further blahblah, use these link to download all the files you need:

Backing track directly from Ermz: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Guitar Tone Comp 3 - Mix 3.wav

DI´s as I received them from Jeff: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1010558/ToneComp3DIs.zip

Good luck, and have fun!

reserved.

Note, I am still uploading the files. The individual parts should be done, but the complete package might take a bit more. I also just rewrote this text, because I can´t find the new text Anssi wrote. He has it, but I haven´t been able to reach him. If there is something drastic, I will update the guide and inform everyone by pm.

I haven´t done much yet, my work begins when the voting starts. Anssi did most of the preparation for this one! Thanks though :cheers:

Anssi told me that his computer broke, or something similar so that's why he has not been able to be reached.(I met him by coincidence as I attended entrance examination to school he is at the moment.)

Ermin used a bass Vsti due to time constraints, I heard the backing track with the POD guitars when he finished it and the bass sounded awesome so it's good enough

I actually did the bass programming with Trilian, as well as drum programming and vocal editing (I believe Ermz tuned a bit more than I already did). I gave Ermz two bounces for the bass track, one picked and one fingered, and he actually ended up using both in the mix.

The bass is in the backing track, though.

As for it being off, that's on Ermz - I uploaded to Mark the same DI's as were used in the project I sent Ermz, which was most definitely lined up.

Maybe it was done on purpose to pose an additional challenge? :lol:

At least there is a guide track to reference.

Edit: Scratch that... I loaded the DI's in my DAW and not only do they not line up, but they appear to have different timings (as if one is stretched and some are squashed shorter than the backing track). Am I alone on this?

Edit: Scratch that... I loaded the DI's in my DAW and not only do they not line up, but they appear to have different timings (as if one is stretched and some are squashed shorter than the backing track). Am I alone on this?

I made no modification to the files I received from Ermz and Jeff. I´m on a school computer right now, can someone confirm there is, or is no problem?

The DIs didn't line up from the start, but they're all in time with each other. I needed to place the rhythms, melody and lead DIs by hand though.