Guitar Tone Competition IV?

I still think that this should still be guitar tone competition. If someone wants to train their mixing skills, there is plenty of multitracks available on the forum. The guitar tone competition creates more of a challenge in my opinion, is less work and resembles more of a customer re-amp simulation. The provided backing track mix might not be the best around, but you still have to make your guitar track sound good and fit the mix. And there is a reason why Greg has been so successful in the last three competition; Because he is one of the best at re-amping on this forum.

BUT: we still need the song. 2 rhythm + 1-2 lead tracks of 30-90 seconds in varied playing styles (single notes, palm mutes, held chords, strum chords, pauses etc), preferably pop punk as requested. Must be original unreleased material so there is no mix reference and to avoid possible copyright issues.

edit: lolzgreg promised to do the guitars :)

After reading all replies, I have my suggestion.
- Style is not major, but punk type is something nice, but trash/ death would be awesome.
- Tracks: 2x rhythm, + extra solo track, separate bass D.I. would be awesome (just suggestion), drums with separate mic tracks (not all got drum software to trigger with midi and separate tracks help with volume adjusting), but drum tracks without post processing (already processed by someone that know how to do that right)
- No limiting count of competitors (that's unfair), but maybe some time limit for compiling (let's say week).

nezvers makes one interesting point, if we make a really tight deadline we could limit the amount of people participating without being unfair right?

Yup. That's why the submission time has been a month, because some people are actually busy with their real work.

And still; It won't be a mixing competition but a guitar tone competition, especially if we don't get a real drummer.

You still need a way to limit the number of contestants. And please, cut it with bending the rules. If it was submitted after the deadline... disqualified, if the backing track was altered... disqualified, etc.

Alright, NEWS!

We have the lineup:

lolzgreg - guitars
Ermz - bass and mixing
ahjteam - programmed drums and composer

We also added a new catch to the competition, but more about that later on ;)

And we also have the song that you will learn to hate! Demo version is here (midi everything and non-final anything):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/ahj_somedaypapa.mp3

I also set the deadline:

We try to get the song to you by MARCH 1 and the submissions end MAY 1. You have 2 months to submit. One submission per user as usual and no voting for yourself this time. I was also thinking adding a rule that you would have to be registered to the forum before the beginning of the competition. After all this is a "Andy Sneap forum Guitar Tone Competition" competition, not "I just registered to win a guitar amp" competition.

Also update on the SPONSORS!

The competition is sponsored by Wolfe Amplification and LSD Drums. the winner gets Wolfe Stinger, a 10w recording amp. The 8 finalists gets a special 3 kicks and 3 snares package from LSD drums

Now we need to adress the one thing left, which is the rules:

Pre-processed bass or submitter processed bass?

We WILL post the multitracks after the competition with a new thread where you can show of your e-peen and post how you would've mixed the track, so I vote for pre-processed bass. I want this rather to be a guitar re-amping simulation than a mixing competition, like it has been so far.

Sweet, this should be good.

I'd go with pre-processed bass. Ermin will do a great job of the bass and this will make it more of a challenge for sure.

No he didn't though :err:

You're still not reading chap, he was quoting this:

This.

Full mix competition. DI's, MIDI drums plus a set of stems for those with no drum software, vocals, the whole shebang.

No rules, just let everyone do their thing.

So yeah he said exactly that :lol:

Anyways, yeah I'm perfectly cool with keeping it a guitar tone competition, and of course no complaints with the host(s) and sponsors, fuck I want a Stinger!

You're still not reading chap, he was quoting this:

So yeah he said exactly that :lol:

Anyways, yeah I'm perfectly cool with keeping it a guitar tone competition, and of course no complaints with the host(s) and sponsors, fuck I want a Stinger!

:ill: now i see it :D

Damn i want a Stinger but i know i'll most likely get crushed, still worth a go though!

Cool. I'll be in this time, not even for the prizes, but as I almost never get good guitarist/DI/gear to record, this will be a nice opportunity to have some fun.