Guitar Tone Competition IV?

^ If we get bass it becomes more of a mix competition rather than guitar tone.

I suppose so, but we need someone to make a excellent bass track then, because last time the bass track was a bit too "bassy" for me, and that fucked with the guitar tone

The problem there is that everyone's idea of 'excellent bass' is going to vary. The idea in the past has been to make the most with what you have. So far what I've mostly seen is self-apologetic complaining.

Whether it be only rhythm guitars, leads, cleans, a full mix, vox, no vox, loud bass, no bass... make do with what you have. That's always been the point here. Seems to me like some people here are after some entirely unrealistic 'ultimate' backing track that will gel perfectly with their style of working. The real world doesn't work that way.

Honestly, if you can't get a good tone with Jeff's playing, then you suck. That's all there is to it. Don't divert blame, because you suck. He is by far and away better than 99% of players I work with on a daily basis. The amount of entitlement and whining here is just plain bewildering.

The problem there is that everyone's idea of 'excellent bass' is going to vary. The idea in the past has been to make the most with what you have. So far what I've mostly seen is self-apologetic complaining.

Whether it be only rhythm guitars, leads, cleans, a full mix, vox, no vox, loud bass, no bass... make do with what you have. That's always been the point here. Seems to me like some people here are after some entirely unrealistic 'ultimate' backing track that will gel perfectly with their style of working. The real world doesn't work that way.

Honestly, if you can't get a good tone with Jeff's playing, then you suck. That's all there is to it. Don't divert blame, because you suck. He is by far and away better than 99% of players I work with on a daily basis. The amount of entitlement and whining here is just plain bewildering.

+101010 on jeffs playing, hes a great player, and theres absolutely nothing wrong with his DI tracks or playing.

My only problem with the last competition was that the bass was mixed a touch too loud on the backing track, but it was still usable

The winner of the last competition had a pretty decent rhythm tone. Not perfect, but pretty good. The solo tone was not so great. And I can't say I liked many of the other rhythm tones - a lot of them had some pretty major issues IMO, the same issues that made me think my tone was terrible and led to me not submitting. So I guess the entire forum just sucks?

And if the entire purpose of the competition is to be able to produce a guitar tone that fits in with someone else's mix, then I can't think of any practical use for that skill beyond reamping for someone else, and even that is not so rigid.

While it is a lot more work, perhaps a full mix competition would be better. It just seems to be a competition based more around real life skills, and would open the forum up to some cool information about more than just guitars. I understand loads of people here have busy schedules, including myself, and it's not really possible to spend days on a mix that in all likelihood won't net you any income. One possibility would be to shorten the competition time, so everyone only has a week or so to mix their song. It'd leave a lot of people out, sure, but numbers haven't been a problem in the past. It'd also make it a little more fair for people who can spend a few hours on the mix, versus weeks.

I gotta agree with Ermin again. Sometimes you'll get mix/re-amp jobs with horrible tones around it. It's not like anyone is at an advantage. Everyone is getting the same backing track, just deal with it.

Someone just needs to take control, decide what's happening and do it. If it's a non metal style, awesome.

I think whoever is organising it needs to look at the last one and take on some of the comments here, pick what is relevent and take those points on. Get something written and go for it.

Just get Jeff to play a quick alt rock song and be done with it.
Ever since I heard those "Youniversal" clips of his, my mind has been blown by how fucking tight his shit is on the guitar. Reminds me I need to practice more.

While it is a lot more work, perhaps a full mix competition would be better. It just seems to be a competition based more around real life skills, and would open the forum up to some cool information about more than just guitars. I understand loads of people here have busy schedules, including myself, and it's not really possible to spend days on a mix that in all likelihood won't net you any income. One possibility would be to shorten the competition time, so everyone only has a week or so to mix their song. It'd leave a lot of people out, sure, but numbers haven't been a problem in the past. It'd also make it a little more fair for people who can spend a few hours on the mix, versus weeks.

This.

Full mix competition. DI's, MIDI drums plus a set of stems for those with no drum software, vocals, the whole shebang.

No rules, just let everyone do their thing.

I know man, it's sweet! I think there's too many variables that people want though. People will enter regardless, if you're running it, you just gotta decide what's best. As Ermin said, there are sometimes variables in a real mix that are outwith an AE's control. This'll be a good way to get people out of their comfort zone. I liked the last tone competition. Wasn't in awe of the bass tone, but I thought everything else was good. The DI's were excellent. Jeff is definitely the man you want to get for a full on metal styling.

Seems most people think stepping away from metal is a great idea. We'll see soon enough. Good luck with it. I'll definitely be entering this year for sure :)

But yeah, is anyone interested in recording the pop-punk song? Writing or mixing the song is not a problem, for example this track I posted on page 2 can be used (song is in standard tuning, 1 lead and 2 rhythms + bass and drums), but I am so sloppy player compared to most of you guys that I don't want it to be the obstacle.

Just get Jeff to play a quick alt rock song and be done with it.
Ever since I heard those "Youniversal" clips of his, my mind has been blown by how fucking tight his shit is on the guitar. Reminds me I need to practice more.

+1
I always use Jeff youniv DI for referencing again other DI. Really helpfull when you have spend 6hours to just dialing amp, mic choice and placement for just get pure awfull tone, to just give a short try to Jeff DI; and hear how bad are other DI in comparaison...

I mean... I'm kind of in a pop punk band. :lol:

On one hand I wouldn't want people getting epicly sick of song and/or completely showing up the mix on the album, but it would be decent publicity and I do already have DI's with a great chain for both gtr and bass, as well as drum MIDI and vocal tracks all done and ready to go.

*EDIT* Actually, terrible idea to use one of the songs on the album, with those same tracks. I could concoct something in the style pretty easily, but it wouldn't have vocals and I don't have a bass.

Probably a public voting or something (well, private would be better for no bias)? Then again, you'd have to limit the number of the contestants. I don't think I could listen to 30 mixes and accurately say which one I like the best. Don't know how you'd accomplish that.