Guitar Tone Competition IV?

Removing the vocals and keeping things simple is a great idea but I am not sure about removing the bass of the equation. I can't really judge a guitar tone without a bass. Maybe the bass itself should be reamped and tweaked.

I could certainly play some guitar for you guys/ write a song if it would be of any use.
I could also get some drums going.

I think a loudness rule and possibly some different categories for (rythm/lead and clean) would be nice.
It could really be some kind of a KSE-like tune to combine a lot of styles.
We could take an unprocessed bass and let everyone adjust it together with their guitar sound, but we'd encounter the problem of the volume of the individual instruments being not equal on all tracks with some having a way louder bass than others.

The best solution might be to have everyone upload their track two times, the first one guitar only and then the mix.
Since the people are deciding on the sound anyways everyone could question themselves if they value a nice guitar that overpoweres the mix over a well sitting one and vice-versa.
But its really a hard thing to decide on ...

I'm in whatever it is.

But I like the idea of having vox and a bass to mix while keeping it simple with 2 guits and a short clip. The bass is a big part of the guitars tone and the vox is necessary to see if it works in a real context where some of these freq's of vox and guitars can struggle.

Prizes: What a better prize than a Stinnet guit and a Wolfe amp? :lol:

Will & Erik: How about a x% discount voucher for finalists if they decide to buy your guitar/amp?

I would gladly build an amp for the competition, maybe one of my upcoming 10 watt recording amps (the Stinger).

Only problem is, I leave for Afghanistan in March for about a year and 3 months. So I'd have to build it ASAP and leave it with one of the competition proctors, or the winner would just have to wait until after I get home :)

Sorry to say but I won't have the time to host this one. Its a LOT of time to host these things due to collecting, checking, uploading, converting etc. of all the clips + the emails sending of confirmations etc. I'm busy with my masters and a job now, so I hope someone else can step up to the plate. Anssi if you could do it that would be perfect, you helped out a lot last time.

I really like the original format, if we have to mix bass and vox also it then turns into a Mix competition and not a guitar tone competition, and the point is to get a crushing yet fitting guitar tone. It might sound insane but how about a board of judges instead of open voting? Just a thought, I'm not sure how "valid" some random people clicking what jumped up to them best at first listen can actually be, and it also sucks if in the end there are more participants than voters

Edit: oh and I can gladly do bass again if needed, I didn't like the Trillian bass in the last comp at all

I would gladly build an amp for the competition, maybe one of my upcoming 10 watt recording amps (the Stinger).

Only problem is, I leave for Afghanistan in March for about a year and 3 months. So I'd have to build it ASAP and leave it with one of the competition proctors, or the winner would just have to wait until after I get home :)

:kickass:

My opinion:
- simple song: bass, 2 or 4 guitar tracks, drums. No leads (too many plugins, delay, etc, making it more a "how good are you at mixing" than a tone competition). Cleans might be an option, though.
- no vocals: distracting
- another style: no metalcore, please. It's gotta have palm mutes and chords, as usual.
- no silence before the song starts: on the previous comp it was SO annoying having to wait 3 or 4 seconds till the song begun...
- the contestant having to get the bass tone too would be nice for learning purposes.
- limited number of contestants, say, first 50, or something like that: the previous comp was so long that most people got bored and votes decreased progressively.

We should have different categories to vote on
- Best Rhythm Tone
- Best Lead Tone
- Best Clean/Crunch Tone
All of these should obviously have a different thread (with pole) and participants will be able to decide what's their main goal and set their guitar levels respectively ( i.e. loud rhythms and quiet clean/lead, for example).
That would make the competition extremely long, slow and boring

Personally I think some here are trying to over complicate it, we should keep it simple imo.

-Rhythm guitars (double/quad tracked)
-One of: Lead/Clean/Crunch guitar (not all 3, how much can we honestly fit in one 90 second song?)
-No vocals
-Bass already mixed in with the drums

As has been said previously there were more contestants than voters, need to figure out a way around that. Whether it's having a maximum number of entrants, getting the winner to be decided by a panel of judges, or something else?

As has been said previously there were more contestants than voters, need to figure out a way around that. Whether it's having a maximum number of entrants, getting the winner to be decided by a panel of judges, or something else?

We can also speed up the process by releasing all the rounds at once and linking them to each other. That way the voting round takes 1-2 weeks, best 10 goes to the finals and then it's finals time.

Is that a promise? :)

The last competition did get boring.

I will opt to record DIs again this time.

Let's keep it simple: Two Rhythm DIs. Reamp both. Process however the hell you want. Post them SOLO'D. There will be a volume limit for the tracks.

IMHO the best guitar tones sound great in and out of the mix. When Sneap does a mix, and the guitars are solo'd for a bar or so, they still sound amazing. Yes, context does matter when there IS context to be had...

If a guitar tone is too farty, and is solo'd, it will stand out.

If a guitar tone is too buzzy, and it's solo'd, it will stand out.

Do I need to go on?

Why just keep it in the realms of guitars, why not have a mix comp?

I realise someone might have addressed this before but why not? It allows for much more allocation of individual style and showcasing of overall skills rather than just a singular element which is a bit overly specific to remain interesting over a duration. I mean sure this process would have a large degree of subjectivity, but since the guitar tone competition is based on majority allocation of subjective individual taste I dont see how it could be that much of a problem.

The last competition did get boring.

I will opt to record DIs again this time.

Let's keep it simple: Two Rhythm DIs. Reamp both. Process however the hell you want. Post them SOLO'D. There will be a volume limit for the tracks.

IMHO the best guitar tones sound great in and out of the mix. When Sneap does a mix, and the guitars are solo'd for a bar or so, they still sound amazing. Yes, context does matter when there IS context to be had...

If a guitar tone is too farty, and is solo'd, it will stand out.

If a guitar tone is too buzzy, and it's solo'd, it will stand out.

Do I need to go on?

+1

Although, i'm gonna vote for something a bit more adtr ish. Catchy pop punkish type music for something different.