Guitar Tone Competition IV?

Alright, I added it to the first post. btw, did you get someone to do your website yet, couldn't find it on google?

Jason(guitarguru777) Is going to be working on it with me. Should be getting started after new years. I have a host and domain, just no data.

Oh and you can edit the part about after I return in the OP, I'll for sure get it to someone before I leave.

This may be too light, but il put it up anyway

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5382960/song clip.mp3

This is a rough intro that ive just started doing in the last day or so. Obviously would have to be recorded properly if used, with fresh strings and stuff, this is just recorded as im writing it. Drums still need to be done properly and bass recorded, but i'm plannin on recording properly over the next week or so anyway, so you can use this intro if need be. Will end up being on an ep of mine eventually, but the ep will more than likely be a free one anyway.

If its sort of the style you want let me know.

Cheers

Phil

Just a thought, but why not see if Andy would be up for judging the final instead of it going to a vote? This is the Andy Sneap forum after all and having him involved in some capacity would be pretty good. Or see if he'll mix the backing track so then we're trying to fit the guitar tone around his mix?

I know he's a super busy man, but I think if everything was sent to him he could do something pretty good. It's only 90seconds worth of music. A man of his genius could knock something out super quick.

I'm liking the idea of trying something different than metal as well. But at the same time, this is a metal community.

It's only 90seconds worth of music.

If we get 100 participants, it's 90 * 100 = 9000 seconds = 150 minutes = 2.5 hours of just music. That doesn't include a/b comparison and download time. But the question is; If he would only judge the 10 finalists (15 minutes), could you afford even 15 minutes of Sneap's time? ;)

I was thinking that if we get a tie on the winner, we should have a grand judge, which could be Sneap, if he want's to that is. That would literally only take a few minutes of his time. As secondary choice, I would say either one of our moderators (Brett or Lasse) if they are not in the competition.

Or see if he'll mix the backing track so then we're trying to fit the guitar tone around his mix?

There were stems for the last Nevermore album, perhaps someone could record DI's to that, then we mix around Andy's backing. Shouldn't have any complaints about the quality of the backing mix then, and the style would be more interesting than the stock standard metalcore chug chug.

Morgan picked up what I was saying, yeah. I didn't mean get Andy to mix all the entrants to the backing track, that'd be crazy haha

Something other than metal is a great idea though. Some radio rock/pop punk whatever... that'd be a great idea.

There were stems for the last Nevermore album, perhaps someone could record DI's to that, then we mix around Andy's backing. Shouldn't have any complaints about the quality of the backing mix then, and the style would be more interesting than the stock standard metalcore chug chug.

this is also a great idea, although I would prefer something original cause in the end it would only be a "match Nevermore's tone" competition and everyone would say they aren't convinced by any one because well the original is better

this is also a great idea, although I would prefer something original cause in the end it would only be a "match Nevermore's tone" competition and everyone would say they aren't convinced by any one because well the original is better

That makes sense. So,

+1 to alternative styles

I agree with this, also it should be a song with a different style than the other competitions... last one everyone was trying to have a metalcore sound....

yeah, that is the reason for having something original and unreleased; so you can't compare it, but rather use your own judgment.

I'd also like
- pop-punk / alternative rock style song
- no vocals, simple arrangement
- no masterbus processing (like in the last competitions)

processable bass sounds like a good idea to me.

And I felt there were too many competitors last time, too. I didn't participate but tried to vote in all rounds, but it was just too much.
On the other hand, limiting the number would be somehow unfair.. Shit, I don't know :lol:

And I felt there were too many competitors last time, too. I didn't participate but tried to vote in all rounds, but it was just too much.
On the other hand, limiting the number would be somehow unfair.. Shit, I don't know :lol:

On a similar note, I think the voting should be more 'bracketed'.

Yes we had like 10 sub groups, but I think it should be laid out a bit more like a NCAA basket ball tournament. That way on the final round we only have 2 to vote for instead of trying to sift through a whole bunch.

Yes we had like 10 sub groups, but I think it should be laid out a bit more like a NCAA basket ball tournament. That way on the final round we only have 2 to vote for instead of trying to sift through a whole bunch.

well, now it is closer to Olympics type tournament with first elimination rounds and then there is the finals with ~10 best scoring from the rounds.

Fuck that man, let's do this thing BCS style. :lol:

All the last ones were trying to copy either Nevermores or Killswitch engages tone, we need something less like them this time haha. Alternative metal or Pop punk would be interesting, and with a bass DI this time as well, in the last competition the bass track was important but we weren't given it :D