Guitar Tone Competition 3: Files and rules

I have been disqualified but ahjteam you are wrong. This is not my first guitar comp. I know the rules and I have not touched the faders of the backing track or the master bus. I can export the backing track while I do a screenshot of the mixer. I would not say anything if you were right but in this case I know what I did and I know that I have not change a shit in the backing track or the master bus.

Edit: and I can say more. ahjteam I can send you my backing track and you can put the track in your cubase/Nuendo with the fader at 0 and export to see and hear that I am right.

Since Mark sent me the files anonymously named (the same way you get them when voting), I just pointed out the ones that have either normalization or serious master bus processing going on, which were both not allowed in the rules. You can see them with your eyes even without listening to the files (and yes, the backingtrack was a lot louder on them than on the other tracks). I marked the louder ones with lovely pink in the screenshot below.

GTC_loudness.png

just import the full mix and the guitar only file, and phase invert the guitar only so you'll only have the backing track. if that sounds louder/different than the original one, it's disqualification. you can also add the original backing track and phase invert that too. if you don't get digital silence shit's fucked up.

just import the full mix and the guitar only file, and phase invert the guitar only so you'll only have the backing track. if that sounds louder/different than the original one, it's disqualification. you can also add the original backing track and phase invert that too. if you don't get digital silence shit's fucked up.

no, that will only work 100% if no dynamic outboard stuff has been used.

why? you weren't allowed to process the backing track, so all processing, ITB or OTB only applies to the guitars.
we were required to render both the mix and the guitars solo'ed.
if you used outboard processing it will be the same on both guitar tracks, so they should phase cancel 100%.

no, wait, if you actually rendered the solo guitars through the outboard stuff then there might be differences, you're right. but then again, why not fiddle with outboard stuff at the "mix" stage and print that to a new track prior to exporting the required files?

although my guess is that maybe 2 or 3 % of the contestants actually used outboard of some sort.....if that much. if it's like the latest competition most of them will be ampsims anyways, and i severely doubt anyone with an ampsim tone will run that through some fancy outboard ^^

Wouldn't be much easier to invert the original backing track and do a null test? If the same backing track has been used, you'll only hear the guitars...
If you can hear drums/vox/bass, means that the backing track used has been processed...

yes, but depending on how much processing they applied to the track the signal that's not cancelled out might be very low in volume, which is difficult to hear over a wall of crushing guitars, that's why i suggested to get rid of the guitars first. but technically you're right of course :)

Since Mark sent me the files anonymously named (the same way you get them when voting), I just pointed out the ones that have either normalization or serious master bus processing going on, which were both not allowed in the rules. You can see them with your eyes even without listening to the files (and yes, the backingtrack was a lot louder on them than on the other tracks). I marked the louder ones with lovely pink in the screenshot below.

Once again I say, I know what I did. I downloaded the first audio files that you guys put here in this topic. If there is a mistake and a louder backing track it´s not my fault.

Now I gonna put here the first files that I downloaded here, the ones that the drum was not synchronized with the guitars. The only explanation is that this files have a louder backing track.

Here it is the files:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1457645/competition3.rar

Anyone can do a quick mix to see and hear that I am not lying. Somehow this is becoming ridiculous. If I did some kind of normalization or a mastering as you say I would never open my mouth because I would lose my credibility.

I think the very first playback was 6db louder as the second one.
Wouldn't really be your fault then. You deserve a second chance :)

yeah, Ermin said something about that he left 12dB headroom on the 2nd (new, actuall version) for the guitars instead of 6dB on the fist one. I think most of us didn't even download the first version though

here
Sorry about the troubles caused by this. It turns out the session didn't export from the 0 point on my end. I've fixed it up and it should align now. Mark's been sent the file and it should be up whenever he gets a chance.

EDIT: While at it, I've dropped the backing track level by another 6dB so you have 12dB of headroom to work with. This should be more than enough for any kind of usable guitar tone. In my opinion it's not as educational as being forced to work with less (especially in a modern metal scenario) but I hope it's more accommodating.

I think the very first playback was 6db louder as the second one.
Wouldn't really be your fault then. You deserve a second chance :)

Yeah! it´s what I think. I know that I am not gonna win but I dont want to be desqualified by a thing that I didnt do it.

yeah, Ermin said something about that he left 12dB headroom on the 2nd (new, actuall version) for the guitars instead of 6dB on the fist one. I think most of us didn't even download the first version though

Thanks Mago. The quote that you posted here of Ermz only shows that I was right all the time.

Said it before, lets handle this issue in the emails. If a second chance is warranted, a second chance you will get

I only answered here again because ahjteam did the same.

Hi, i have got a question about the DI tracks...

"Why are the DI tracks sounds compressed and a little bit distored?"

I have asked Jeff half year ago, the answer was "EMG's clip, compress, and distort a bit internally due to lack of headroom in the internal preamp".
But I can´t get it :(. I have EMG81 in my Guitar, and my tracks sounds 100% clean and there is no compression.

example:
jeff-di_track.jpg

(soundsample of these snippet > here)

Is that really normal? With my guitar and pickup, I have no audio-visual compression or distrotion, no matter how hard i am playing.

But the reason why i am thinking about is... I like this compression in the final reamped Sound. ;)