Some Advice on this Progressive Thrash Mix?

Aiden Macleod

New Metal Member
May 11, 2016
Mind you, all I've done is set my levels, and place a compressor on the Mains to glue everything together. No EQ or 'verb, or anything else has been done to it.
Should I leave it alone, (less is more) or try to make it shine?

Attachments

• State OF Mind.mp3
    9.1 MB · Views: 15
Well you should absolutely EQ it especially on the drums because the kick conflicts with the bass during the song. I think the bass needs a little more compression and the overheads are a little louder but thats personal preference :) Generally, I think you need to enhance it sonically

Thanx. Great tips. Like I said, it's just a rough mix, (balances, Main compression and all). I'll try to fix the freqs and I'm thinking about maybe a channel strip on each track. Maybe I'll even re-do the drum fx altogether, (remove all Room and Overs, (Superior Drummer)), and add them externally through a Send. Then, possibly EQ the whole thing to give it more "Air". What do you think?

If I were you I'd do all the corrective EQ before any compression!
And as far as balance goes, guitars are a tab loud in my opinion, and i'd raise the kick a bit even if eq should bring it back a little it should be more audible at that point of the mix IMO.