some Death with beaten up equipment

Skaldir

formerly known as Unicorn
Nov 3, 2001
Germany
www.kalthallen.de
This session turned out a bit better than I thought, after the guys came in with their equipment.
They wanted a really raw Entombish sound.
I test drived my self build e-drum for the first time, but told the drummer to bring his cymbals AND cymbal stands. He forgot the stands, so I gave him some stuff I could find. Gaffa was our friend. Only the ride cymbal was good, the crash and hi-hat sounded horrible, and still do ;)
But they weren't so serious about all this and had fun and liked the result.

http://www.4shared.com/file/183846530/30cd5f22/ero-edit.html

The guitars were some cheap B.C Rich --> Hm-2 --> Windsor --> GuitarHacks Grind-impulse

E-drums into SSD, cymbals miked with an Oktava Mk-012 ORTF

Vocals AT 4050 --> Mindprint Envoice --> UAD comp and eq plugs

Guitars sound way too grindy (even for old school DM), is it really wanted? It almost sounds as if the impulse was not 100% wet.

In your defense though, I have a cheap BC Rich and know for the love of god it's a bitch to get a good tone out of it.

Guitars sound way too grindy (even for old school DM), is it really wanted? It almost sounds as if the impulse was not 100% wet.

Well, technically everything was ok with the impulse setting. They totally love the guitar sound. They wanted it as raw as possible.
I even told them, look even when the guitars are soloed you can barely hear what they play and they said "yes, thats how it should be!!"
I know its a kinda unusual guitar sound, but it has its place I guess.
The song will be released on a split 7" and I allready got payed. This project is finished, but I wanted to upload it anyway for you guys here for the lulz ;)

Well, technically everything was ok with the impulse setting. They totally love the guitar sound. They wanted it as raw as possible.
I even told them, look even when the guitars are soloed you can barely hear what they play and they said "yes, thats how it should be!!"
I know its a kinda unusual guitar sound, but it has its place I guess.
The song will be released on a split 7" and I allready got payed. This project is finished, but I wanted to upload it anyway for you guys here for the lulz ;)

Oh well. :) You got them what they wanted, and that's what you're supposed to do, great then! :)