LOLZGREG and DCB present: Deathcore from Hamburg, NY ;-)

dcb

nerd
Dec 7, 2008
---------[UPDATED : You guys requested it , and i will gladly do !]----------------------------

1. More GEEEETARRRZZZZ! (+.5 DB and + 3 db at 8K) had to automate the vocals to sit more on top. also added a little more delay to the epic vocal intro (but i think
its not really noticable..the impact of the blast beat was just not aggressive enough with more dly..)

>> Erase Your Memory_-_Medusa Complex (UPDATE)

2. Raw Guitar Tracks >>

Medusa Complex 5150 RAW
Medusa Complx Rectifier RAW

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the first time, i did a cooperation with a forum member on a
technical basis (i recorded vocals for a song from MACHINATED in the past),
and i have to say : thank god i found the forum!

greg (LOLZGREG)
was so kind to offer reamping.
me and a band i'm working with took the chance and :
greg did a truly amazing job, and again let me thank you, greg,
for your great work!

go, get your guitars reamped at gregs place!
http://www.myspace.com/thetomatofarmstudio

HERE IS THE SONG --------------------------------------------------

(Metal, Hardcore, Deathcore) ERASE YOUR MEMORY (MYSPACE LINK) - "Medusa Complex"
from their upcoming album : Leviathanic (coming mid 2010)

Erase Your Memory_-_Medusa Complex (STREAM)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

maybe greg can tell you more about his equipment and
maybe post some raw files (i have to ask the band tho).

ABOUT THE PRODUCTION : ----------------------------------------------
its basically my audio technica at 4040 for vocals with the mindprint envoice mk II straight into my focusrite saffire 56.
for vocals i used mainly the UAD 1176 LN, LA2A and SSL 4K.
guitars were recorded through line 6 toneport ux 2, only the clean di tracks were recorded and sent to greg
for reamping. guitar : esp horizon with seymour duncans. bass is l6 gearbox with a modified patch from splatt
(wakes darker skies) that he gave out to this forum, which makes this place even greater!! :worship:
drums are superior 2.0 for overheads/room/toms and slate 3.5 platinum. (kick 10, sn 12 a)

i mixed in cubase 5. mastering was done with wavelab 6 and ozone (sorry for the - 6db...).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for listening!

Please tell me what you think about the whole thing, guitar sound, production, mastering, mix.
questions for me (recording,mixing,producing) or greg (guitars) are always welcome!

and, for the curious,here is a video, if anyones interested to see me work with the band,
especially on vocal warmups (melissa cross), and what my
crappy recording space looks like ;-)
(sorry for the german, but its actually not important, what we're saying)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys !

we were going for a as brutal as possible drumsound, not minding the artificialness (is that a word?;-)
its much more of a production choice, and thats what the band liked.

guitartone thanks to greg , cant say that often enough!

HOLY SHIT THIS SOUNDS BEAST! You did an awesome job.

Not to blow up my ego even more but those guitars sit in the mix like fucking sex. I think you could raise them 0.5 dB though :heh:

EDIT: I can't believe that shit was a toneport. My amps like toneport DI's :loco:

harhar man ! :)

yeah, i was going for a snare and vox up version, maybe i could raise the guitars a tiny tiny bit.
but i'm fucking mixing against the brickwall limiter now, and every .2 gain increase does something terrible to the rest of the mix :)

maybe if i turn up the limiter .5 db the guitars will be a tiny bit more up front.
still i feel that they sit nicely now as they are, maybe will change that when i get more feedback from the band!

other than that : yeah : amazing toneport di's DO work ;-) this is proof

yea the drums are way up front enough that the pushing ozone even harder would even everything out, but then the vox would vanish =p fortunately it sounds 100% done to me the way it is. were you using a real 1176?? how funny it is that a toneport and 1176 are both used in the same mix =p

I saw the dudes on stage last friday
and I recorded the last band of the guitar-player who also does the clean vox (it is in my mix-pod ony my "studio" myspace)

FUNNY SHIT:)

the mix is very balanced and everything goes hand in hand....GREAT WORK!!!

How much gain reduction did you use in the limiter?
I think the mix could sound more open with less gain reduction (it feels a little squashed)

cheers

naaa, it was the UAD 1176 from the UAD 2 Card.. ;-)
toneport only for di's - it works obviously,hehe.

Mastering : i'm about - 6 db RMS << again, i'm not a fan of this hot mastering, but i work for the bands, not
for my personal preferences ;-) i think its cool for that genre, but of course, squashed to hell it is!

Are you sure about -6rms???
It didnt sounded thaaaat loud

Maybe our meters are different. I use the waves and logic meters, what did you use?

cheers and keep up the good work

I would have estimated roughly -10 to -9 dBRMS (not checked the meters), but I've only listened on headphones. if it'd really show -6dB you might have some provlems in the sublows or so eating headroom

If anyone was curious about the guitars:

5150+Recto

Somewhat "Normal" settings, but my modded amps react differently to the eq section. I would say much more of the range is "usable" since the transformer changed.

Single, transformerless SM57 on the magic speaker spot, but maybe ever closer to the dustcap than it should be.

I totally love this. The tones sound great and direct, and really make the whole mix sound together. The guitars could even come up a little more if you wanted, but it is still great how it is.

I think I am going to have to invest in Aptrigga so I can replace the 2.0 kicks (if I don't find the metalfoundry kicks good once I get that), because this stuff sounds great with the slate stuff mixed in.

Really well done guys. I enjoyed it a lot! :)

I would have estimated roughly -10 to -9 dBRMS (not checked the meters), but I've only listened on headphones. if it'd really show -6dB you might have some provlems in the sublows or so eating headroom

i measured the average loudness only when vox and all other instruments (for example the "chorus") came into play. it ranges from - 8 to - 5 actually :) but in the loudest parts :

wavelab meters realtime meters, -6db rms
wavelab offline mesuring shows - 6 db rms
ozone shows - 6 rms

i will check with another metering,
to so if there is really something weird going on.

:ill: sublows are cut 2 times (once on the mix bus and on the master bus)
(30 Hz > song is in the key of C) with
UAD cambridge eq, as far as i know a really good lc...

i have to check that as well... :loco:

thanks for helping, guys! what i like about this forum is, that everyone is helping each other ! really nice!

and to all others - thank you very much for your compliments!

its nice to hear, that some of you like the songwriting, although i was not involved in that.
but yeah, i feel, that they have gone into a cool direction,
not too techy, not too repetative -
but still i'm comfortable listening to it, the music carries you all the way till the end ;-)

Sounds really good. Really nice, loud low-end, which I love.
Not a fan of the kick, but the rest is good.

I could have sworn this was April Ethereal (Opeth), when it started..

LOL :) thanks man.

i had different kicksounds, but i found that this was pretty cool with the snare.

man, almost everytime people hate my kicksounds, hehe. :loco:
is it too "flabby" (is that a word?) or too much "tshakka tshakka" :)
too much high end?

btw. its kick 10 from slate...

Can't say what it is or what to change, its my usual vendetta against Slate :/ Sorry. Snare works though.

Can't make a new post or I'll lose my post count! ;p