Some good and bad words about 6505+ 112 combo

Behind

Sep 3, 2008
Hi there,

(If you have no time for good words, look for **** to read the rant)

I recently purchased this amp and it has surpassed all my expectations. I was thinking about switching the sheffiled for the v30 but there's no way I'm going to do it by now It sounds great even with that.

I cannot crank it at home but I have had the opportunity to dial some great tones withit. I have no favourite channel but the lead one is amazing with the pre below 4. I think that it has a lot of possibilities in order to dial different tones.

The green channel (crunch on) is also great but I have had more difficulties finding good tones with it. I'm currently playing in a band that also does some hard rock stuff and this channel is great for it. The only problem I find is that the clean (cruch off) is quite useless.

Well and here comes the problem... FX LOOP. I mean... WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!!!!! Is it designed wrong or something? I have heard about the buffered fx loop in some amps but this goes beyond comprehension!! It's so bad that when activated the amp automatically sounds like pure crap guys. And there's no chance to turn off the fx loop in the 6505+ 112 so go and imagine... I don't really know what were the guys at peavey thinking when designing the fx loop but I assure you that they weren't sober to say the least.

After configuring your tube screamer and spending a lot of time moving knobs... then you connect the fx loop and... BOOM! You have won a fucking shitty-fizzy-motherfucking transistor amp... The red channel becomes just the white noise party and there's no way to get rid of that shitty fizz-noise-whatever shit it is called.

Buffered FX Loop means to add a bit of gain after the preamp signal to avoid the tone loss in the fx chain but what the fuck is this guys? Somebody has an answer about it? How is it even possible that the tone becomes shit if the buffer is after the preamp. Is there a way to fix that?? Is my amp fucking broken or something? Im really sorry that I cannot show you this because my connection is fucked up and I cannot upload big files but I assure you that the difference is not subtle. It makes you jump from your chair.

I have read in some places that people use a patch cable through the fx loop to improve automatically the tone hahahahah what the fuck, were they seeing an improvement with this shit I'm talking you about?? Maybe they have no trained ears or they just do not know how a good tone 'should' be... Whatever...

Do you have any ideas about this??

EDIT:

RED CHANNEL W/TS SM57 HPF: 250HZ

Without patch cable in the fx loop

With patch cable in the fx loop

14ujg5z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there's your problem. lol

Not a 100% sure about that but if this is a parallel fx loop, you're possibly blending the dry signal with a blend of the dry+wet signal delayed by a few ms resulting in a partial phase cancellation.

Plus the ME30 is an old piece of junk with shit converters.

Well there's your problem. lol

Not a 100% sure about that but if this is a parallel fx loop, you're possibly blending the dry signal with a blend of the dry+wet signal delayed by a few ms resulting in a partial phase cancellation.

Plus the ME30 is an old piece of junk with shit converters.

I don't think so... It also happens if I plug this

397060.jpg

I can record but I cannot upload anything at the moment since my isp is fucked up... :/

Does it happen if you plug the Me30 with only a 100% wet delay or reverb and nothing else in the chain?

I will try to upload something short in a few minutes. let's see if the isp doesn't fuck up

Does it happen if you plug the Me30 with only a 100% wet delay or reverb and nothing else in the chain?

EDIT: It happens with no effects activated in the fx unit

EDIT: It happens with no effects activated in the fx unit

That would be normal if it is a phase cancellation problem.
Theoretically with a parallel loop, you can only use delay based effect (chorus,flangers, phasers, delays) or a reverb without any dry signal (100%wet). That's why I am asking this.

The fact that it happens with a mere patch cable could mean several things.

EDIT: Apparently it's a serial loop so I don't know...

Thank you ~BURNY~ for the answers. I have researched about it to be sure that it wasn't the effects. I have the gain knob at 9 o'clock and the thing is that the hiss increases like the gain knob is pushed to maximum. Dynamics are lost and everything sounds harsh and quite anoying.

Finally I was able to upload the files, here they are:

RED CHANNEL W/TS SM57 HPF: 250HZ

Without patch cable in the fx loop

With patch cable in the fx loop

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't use the overdrive effects block of the ME-30 in the FX-loop, right?

Nope. It happens just with a patch cable from the send to the return of the fx loop. Seems like a boost made by the buffer of the fx loop but I think it ruins the tone.

Somebody has experienced the same with the head or the combo?

My one is a normal 5150 not the "II" or "+" or what ever. And when i look at schematics the 5150 head and combo has no difference at the loop section. No buffers at all. Both have straight wires when bypassing the loop. But i couldn't find a schematic for the 6505 combo. Maybe they changed something there. But a buffer normally shouldn't change the sound that dramatically. As far as i now..in all Boss Pedals are buffers.and they don't affect the signal like that.
Need another guy with a 6505 combo to test it....

Ouuuuuh thanks!
and ..yeah. As i see the loop section is quite different. When fx loop is on the signal doesn't go just throuh cable. It goes through transistors Q5/Q4 etc. blabla. Probably your buffer section you mentioned. But i'm still stunned that it affects the tone...