Some more of my recent mixes... Lilitu

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
alright, i've finally been given a green light to get these out there.... so here they are: Lilitu mixes. i was commissioned to do this 3 song demo for them while i was in Atlanta doing the Daath album. anyway it was done very quickly, much quicker than the Daath mixes (those are still up here), so there are some "mistakes", or more accurately, a little less polish to these mixes. everybody loved them and all felt they were album quality as is though, so i'm presenting them here as the they got them rather than going back in and risking doing too much and losing some of the vibe.

if you like the band, visit them at their MySpace page: here
Daath's MySpace can be found: here

Excellent stuff James. Another Session is the best of the lot mix wise. Not that theres anything bad about the other ones :) I must say I really like Strike Another Promise. There three good tunes all round :devil: I just might have to look into buying a cd...

James, once again you did a great job. My only "complaint" (can find the right word) would be the mastering (final or not?). A bit radio style squashed distorded. I guess it was a request from the band but it would have much better with little more dynamic room left in my very very humble opinion.:worship: ;)

~BURNY~ said:
James, once again you did a great job. My only "complaint" (can find the right word) would be the mastering (final or not?). A bit radio style squashed distorded. I guess it was a request from the band but it would have much better with little more dynamic room left in my very very humble opinion.:worship: ;)
didn't "radio squash" it all all... left a lot of dynamics in... but you won't hear it in the full on metal parts... that's the nature of metal rhythm guitar..it's naturally compressed.. listen to the softer bits... plenty of dynamics there. and there is no distortion... other than the distortion of the rhythm guitars.. the good kind. ;) maybe your player is set weird. turn off any eq and/or voume boosts thay may be on.

Weird, maybe it's the mp3 conversion from my player... Seems like it's cliping in quicktime and soundforge and not wmp or wavelab... I'm confused:oops: ... No eq btw, I always listen flat.
Nevermind, it sounds good anyway... And I really enjoy the bass as I did in Daath stuff.

unsilpauly said:
really good work james. no complaints here. are you gonna get the gig to do the album i hope? sounds like it would be a sweet album to do. keep us updated.
yeah, i'm locked in for the album.

I ordered Daaths 'Futility' a month and a half ago. I used paypal on their site, it worked.. I got a 'reciept' email straight away. But I have no cd or word yet. I just emailed them to see what's up, but maybe they also need some advice to get their shit together! ;)

:p

Lilitu stuff: sonically great, but not really my sorta thing due to the vocals and general vibe. The vox reminded me of Unjust, that's not a 'bad'.. it's just not for me.

Benny H said:
I ordered Daaths 'Futility' a month and a half ago. I used paypal on their site, it worked.. I got a 'reciept' email straight away. But I have no cd or word yet. I just emailed them to see what's up, but maybe they also need some advice to get their shit together! ;)
:p
Eyal from Daath is a lurker on this forum, so he'll be reading this after he wakes up today.. i'll kick him in the ass to take care of it as well..... that bazdid. :heh:

Great job on the demo. I remember that band from when I lived in Atlanta. They sure have changed. Cool stuff though.

martyfireball said:
Top notch James, any chance of more details and a gear list for this session?
guitars - les paul studio with EMG 81 in bridge, Mesa Dual Rec with ts9 for rhythms, Bogner Ecstacy with ts9 for solos. Mesa cab w/ V30's.. mic'd with one 57 into Avalon 737. Vox were SM7 into DBX 166, into Avalon 737. Bass direct with Radial JDV mk3 D.I.

recorded into and mixed with a Dual 2.5 Ghz PowerMac G5 w/ 8 GB Ram running Digital Performer 4.6 , Waves Platinum, and UAD-1.... so plenty of plug-in power, though i used my Eventide DSP 4000 for delays (vox and solos) on at least 2 of the songs.