Some more of my recent mixes... Lilitu

James Murphy

Mar 26, 2002
Alright, i've finally been given a green light to get these out there.... so here they are: Lilitu mixes. i was commissioned to do this 3 song demo for one of the largest independant labels out there... you all know 'em, but i think discretion is still in order on that subject. anyway it was done very quickly, much quicker than the Daath mixes (those are still up here), so there are some "mistakes", or more accurately, a little less polish to these mixes. the label and band loved them and all felt they were album quality as is though, so i'm presenting them here as the label got them rather than going in and risking doing too much and losing some of the vibe.

if you like the band, visit them at their MySpace page: here
Daath's MySpace can be found: here

Very cool, James! Thank you.

The band sounds pretty good. There's a mix of clean and growling vocals, which is better to me than all death metal growling. One thing I do have a problem with which I notice some bands doing is the seemingly nonstop double bass. What makes people do that? I mean, double bass has it's place, but creating a wall of sound using it is something that I've never found attractive musically at all. There needs to be some kind of groove and non-stop double bass seems to kill it. That's one problem I have with Gene Hoglan's drumming in SYL, whereas I loved it in Death. Too many bands don't know how to hold it back. Still, this band does seem to get past that. They don't constantly do it, and when they do it isn't right out in front making you struggle to hear the melody.

James, I'm curious, how do bands go about getting you to mix them? Do they just email you and request your services?