Some of the comments from Mike (NYC) 3/11

^ Nah, moshing creates more energy at a concert. I think it would suck if there was no movement whatsoever from the audience, don't you think?

Seriously, when I was at the Montreal show and they began playing WHEN I couldn't help but go crazy and start moshing. Seriously, it is that energy in the music - it's awesome!

I never saw anybody hardcore dancing, and that's what counts.

Could have been my words... HC dancing is the main reason, why I can't get along with this Hardcore-Boom... so stupid...

I think Opeth's music isn't the right music for moshing (yeah...grammar...:Smug: ), I was really happy that there wasn't a pit at my concert...

EDIT: The pic is awesome... i laughed my ass off!^^

Holy Hell that picture is hilarious!!! Ninja dancing? HAHAHAHAHA

Moshing is ok, it just depends on what concert you're at.. If I ever saw Opeth live, I wouldn't mosh, I'd just try to appreciate the whole concert. I just saw Alice Cooper and I had floor seats, but they were twenty rows back. Eventually I just got up and sat in the higher up (though further away) seats so I could actually see the show.

to quote Mike - "I see that moshpit there and i LIKE IT!!!!!"

Moshing is great at metal concerts, the moshpit at the Drangonforce gig here last month was fucking nuts, these too fat guys started wrestling ^^

I agree that HC dancing and ninja dancing :)P) is gay, i can't understand this Hardcore/Metalcore thing - it just sucks, even teh screaming sounds gay

It really depends. I'm all for the headbanging and shit like that. But too many people focus on energy release when they should in fact be enjoying the music... in particular at an Opeth show.

At the last Bodom gig here, the moshing just got way out of control. The push toward the front of the stage was insane, and most of our experience up at the front was merely trying to stay conscious as opposed to enjoying the show in any capacity.

So, moderation in all things.

We Melburnians know best.

I used to a mosher, back when I was a young'n, but now, it really does peave me. I agree to somewhat of an extent that it's about moderation, but when the cunts start pushing each other, getting out of control, jumping around like fleas on a dog's back, it's fucking annoying. I'm all for headbanging, though.

I saw Hatebreed at a music festival at the start of this year, and apart from not liking the band in the first place, it was hard to even try to listen to the music with that pit. Fucking circles, that's all I have to say.

If a circle broke out at an Opeth gig, I'd feel I'd wasted my money; It's just so much of a distraction. Moshing in general is, really. I saw all three shows they played here last time, and for the underage one i chose to stand in the front row. I spent half the time pushing cunts off me, hardly even worth being there.

This song was just on. Fucking Winamp.

oh yeh and on the original topic of Mike's comments, at one of the shows i attended I called out 'jag älskar dig (i love you - in swedish)' and he replied with 'thank you, i love you too' , but then when i said 'kom och bada med mig' he didn't seem to hear me. darn.

I have no idea man. Probably. The underage gig was, as you said, pretty quiet. I was at the two overages aswell, and there were smartarse comments coming from everywhere then, and some tall as german bastard. But yeh, the underage was pretty shite crowd-wise. What I remember, anyway. Can't say my memory's too good.

i don't think the crowd sucked in nyc, they were great!, i noticed that people were too quiet in the beginning, it was boring to see people just standing but then when the moshpit broke out it seemed like everybody felt that energy and everyone were pushing one another, the stage divers were cool too and Mike's face looked like he was happy seeing all that.

It would have sucked if the crowd were just standing quietly looking at the band, if you want to stay quiet you better go to a church, at a metal concert you have to realease your energy ( headbanging, moshing, crowd surfing etc), besides metal bands don't like to see fans standing like statues in a concert

headbanging and moving a bit (NOT moshing) is not a lame crowd .... people seem to think that you either mosh or stand still??
when I headbang, I prefer not to be worried some stupid fuck will push me over or put an elbow in my face!
and indeed, when you are standing next to a moshpit, you are more concerned with them than with the band ...

by the way, in the show in Belgium in september I got the feeling they weren't too exited about the moshpit either ... perhaps on Lamentations Mikael is being sarcastic? laughing at nowadays metal-teens? ...
he asked to headbang the entire song of Blackwater Parc, but instead a moshpit was created ...
at (real) black metal and most death metal shows, there isn't a moshpit! ... you headbang and move a bit, but no stupid moshpit ...

The reason I don't enjoy mosh pits is because I can't really take in the music as much if my attention isn't fully on it. With a band like Opeth, I enjoy listening to everything the music has to offer. If I was in a mosh pit I wouldn't be able to do so. I don't think it's bad for people tomosh, I jsut don't particularly like it at shows like Opeth. I've been to some shows that were just so intense that I felt the urge to jump right into the pit. It just doesn't happen very often.

That picture is funny but I really wish I had a picture of the crowd at a recent show I went to. There were two sucky core metal bands that played. There was maybe 100 people total at the show and the front was totally open for the ninja dancing as no one else wanted to deal with that shit. The kids were doing like full out roundhouse kicks. Some jackass had a magnet on me or something and managed to keep flying into me. I would have just pushed him off of me but I'm still recovering from a sprained ankle so he ended up taking me out one time.

DAMN ! i didn't know black and death metal concerts were that boring in Belgium,here in the US you will always see brutal moshpits at death metal shows, i can't imagine a CANNIBAL CORPSE concert and all the people just standing quietly and watching the band, americans fans get crazier that europeans fans at concerts, and i'm talking about real moshpit were everyone is pushing eachother not the fagcore slamming dance, btw is strange to see hardcore dancers at death metal concerts and the ones who try to do that or the ninja thing get beaten in 1 second by metalheads

@deadsoul5: come over to europe and see how wrong you are ... most bands say european crowds are more energetic and go crazy more than american crowds (in general speaking) ...
and people DO mosh here! a lot ... but unfortunately hardcore is popular in belgium, so you can imagine the influence ...

and again! if someone doesn't mosh that does NOT mean he is standing quietly!
but how can you possibly stand there banging your head as wild as you can when every moment there is this big chance some stupid sweaty guy/teen will push you over!